• This topic has 292 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 293 total)
  • 2016-17 CX racing thread
  • Garry_Lager

steve_b77 – Member
    This basically sums up the seniors race at Otterspool today. I have the distinct feeling I did badly, just couldn’t get going in the slop.

It’s quite satisfying that the fit lads have to race after 150 ale tanks have rolled over the course 🙂
    Loved the Otterspool race, really tough – my bike just about made it to the end as a functioning machine. That run up at the top of the course was a beast, would have liked to have seen how fast the leaders were going up it. Turned into a bit of a trudge around me.

simondbarnes

It’s quite satisfying that the fit lads have to race after 150 ale tanks have rolled over the course

Hey, I resemble that remark 🙂
    I somehow managed to beat 26 people in my first race for a year. That’ll do.

qwerty
    Free Member

So, Western Leagues Forest of Dean round today, a stark contrast from last weeks Keynsham, a night of constant rain set us up for a day of cold, muddy, rooty & a lengthy run which made for a brutal course – i loved it 🙂 it worked well that after i’d collected a load of mud on my tyres after the start section i managed to fling it all off on the fire road descent. Excellent.

[/url]Forest of Dean cyclocross by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]2016-11-20_05-53-01 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Weeksy, Harwell was a blast. Slippy and slidey, not mech-chewing sticky mud. Went all the way up the mound then back down ‘The chute of doom’ which was a spectator paradise, you could hear them all across the course. Raced V40 on tired legs from racing Central CX day before, as an interloper I was unceded so at the back of a field of 80, so happy with 21st.

mooman
    Free Member

Bryn Bach report – it was grippy and fast after all; but it was also very wet, and bitterly cold.

Fantastic course, with a bit of everything except off camber … or claggy mud.

I got off to an unusually good start, managed to get towards the front guys and not get swamped by the following herd. Made the mistake of sitting on somebody`s wheel all the way before going into the single track sections, this had me soaking wet (and muddy)straight away. From then onwards I just got colder and colder … half way around 2nd lap my fingers were so cold I couldnt change gear or brake properly.
    I started losing sight of the front guys and dropping positions … then guy in front decided to take short cut to miss section of course … which had me falling off to avoid him as he detoured; dropped more positions and got wetter as a result.

Managed to take back a couple positions, but finished a couple positions off the guys I usually in front of.
    Great course – sending off for winter warm/waterproof gloves ready for the Caerphilly course which is likely to be similar … but muddier!

sefton
    Free Member

Just got my entry into the northern champs before today’s cut off.what’s York race course like then?

ferrals
    Free Member

Think Bryn Bach was a course that split opinion! I had a pretty awful race, the only bit I really enjoyed was the muddy section at hte far end. Love sloppy mud like that. My heart wasn’t in it so after burping a load of air out on a rock, didn’t push it, just road conservatively to make sure I finished as needed it as one to get my six for hte league.

Need to get my fitness back!

mooman
    Free Member

The signing on room was kinda funny.
    As I signed on 2-3 little kids were hogging the radiator, and crying to their mam to go home; then at end of our race as I collected licence, some old fellas were hogging radiator, and looking ready to cry … as the medic there checked them over.

ferrals
    Free Member

When I arrived all I could see was crying kids, felt so sorry for them having to go off in hte coldest bit of the day!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

London X-League at Ardingly today.

Nice mud for the Juniors and Vets – still wet enough to be slippery but not too sticky. I hear the seniors had it a bit more claggy. Oh well, serves them right for being younger than me.

Thought I had 3rd sown up when halfway through the last lap a rider appears from nowhere and whooshes past. I hadn’t spotted him as he’s not one of the regulars so I’d assumed he was a back marker. What a bugger!
    😀

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Cold got to me pre-race I think. I just could not get going off the start. Yet again out in a no-mans land of late mid-pack. Did mean my face was a lot cleaner than others though! Only had one small mud wallow this week, and after going a bit too quick over the kickers the first or second lap, I didn’t fully commit the next time around and ended up in a tree.
    Anyway I think purely by small field I got a better position than some earlier efforts. Oh and my bloody cleats came loose.
    My kit is in for it’s third wash…
    Ant, you looked to be riding well today mate. Good work. Iain, good to see you again. Thought something must have been up when I saw you at the finish.

ferrals
    Free Member

Good to see you to Thom. Cold definately wasn’t a treat. It didn’t help my motivation when I spoke to one of the guys in our club just before hte start and he started rattling off about half a dozen bad injuries in hte previous races! Had a feeling my wife would not be best pleased if I came back with a broken collarbone in her current condition! Just making excuses really though 😆

Looking forward to Pembrey, finally seem to have kicked my virus so back doing some training this week 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

I think it will be my worse finish position of the season this week Thom. Even though it was the course that suited me the best.

Thats CX!

Pembrey should be good. Sees you there.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Glad you “enjoyed” our FoD race. There was a young lady taking hundreds of pics. Apparently they get posted on here FB page wherever that may be.
    I was buggered at the end of the Vets and was embarrassingly beaten by Henry, our 71 year of whippet. (actually he beats many people at lots of things)

davidjey
    Free Member

When I arrived all I could see was crying kids

When I parked up yesterday I spent the first few minutes helping parents parked either side of me thaw their cold and tearful kids out – my down jacket went round one of them while the other drank some hot drink out of my flask.

Fairly decent race for me, although I was much stronger in the later stages than early on, not helped by a a freewheel that didn’t like the cold and was slow to engage – changed bikes after two laps and went better after that as I also got the hang of the course. Finished 6th, which is a season’s best in Welsh League.

Some of the toughest conditions, if not the toughest, conditions I’ve experienced in 10 seasons of ‘cross. I think only the races at Parc cwm Darran a few years back come close.

xc-steve
    Free Member

My First cross race in some time and first time taking my steel commuter off road didn’t set the world alight but had a good giggle trying! My first couple of laps before battery died on GoPro:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OALaOFcBZRE[/video]

davidjey
    Free Member

Well done on having a go – but just so you know gopros are banned from all BC races. If spotted using one you’ll get a slapped wrist or a DQ depending what mood the commissaire is in.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Where does it actually say that? I did have a good search on BC’s rules and no-one really knew on sign on.

aP
    Free Member

There is a UCI directive which is included in the BC rule book. If you ride at a Central or London / South East League race you won’t be allowed to do so if you have a camera mounted either on you or the bike.
    I’ll dig out the directive that we’ve been given later.

ferrals
    Free Member

Think you can record your practise lap though but definately not the actual race. I believe its a liability issue.

Looks like a really fun course. Round the manicured playing field with lots of banking is my favourite type, especially when there’s a bit of mud involved! Only had a chance to race one palying field race this year which is a shame.

aP
    Free Member

From the BC Technical Regulations:

10.4 The use in competition of cameras attached to riders, cycles or helmets is prohibited, unless previously authorised in writing by the BC Board. Unless prohibited by the regulations of individual disciplines, onboard cameras are permitted during practice or designated training sessions, but the use of such cameras is authorised solely when the camera is attached to the bicycle. The rider is solely responsible for securing the fixation of the camera in order to avoid any danger or distraction.

ferrals
    Free Member

The Welsh league headed to Pembrey today with good weather and a big turnout in all categories. The chat before had been that it was the crit course of the season, while it was pan flat, hardpack or short grass and very fast there were enough wiggles to keep it interesting and make for good racing.

I had a pretty bad race, was actually gridded on the front row but missed my pedal, got swamped off the line and then, not being used to riding that fast in a bunch got scared 😳 let off the gas and settled in for an easy first lap, sped up and had a had a good race with shedbrewed and a few others for hte middle portion but blew spectacularly with two laps to go. Just didn’t have the fitness to keep the power down constantly for an hour.

Pretty gutted to end my season in the Welsh league with two poor races on the trot after a good start of hte season but looking at my strava log, apart from this week, the last time I managed a proper training week was mid-October so it’s hardly surprising. One last race at the Welsh champs next week, hoping today’s beasting will have kicked a bit of shape into my legs for that!

mooman
    Free Member

Good fast open course at Pembrey. My summer fitness, and lack of riding last few weeks really taking its toll now. Managed 8th position … so hopefully it’ll last a bit longer till end of season.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Yesterday was the German State chanpionships. I decided to race in the neighbouring state as I had been told the course is better. Lovely technical course with sandy soil so drains very well. Unfortunately in the test lap just before the start I got a flat in my front tyre (tub) with no spare wheel and no one with a suitable wheel I could borrow. Decided to race anyway and leave a track pump at the pits. Pumped up the tyre to 70psi and started but this time the tyre held for the entire race (had some sealant in there from a previous puncture) which shook me to death! Rode most of the course jostling for 3rd/4th position .. I was quicker in the second part of the lap and he the first. In the last lap I was in front as we approached a tight chicane which you could steam through if you got the angle right. There was a rider ahead we were about to lap. I tried to time it so I would pass him just after the chicane but the rider behind attacked and shoved the lapped rider out of the way who panicked and braked hard bringing me to a complete stop giving the attacking rider a 30m gap which I wasn’t able to close. So 4th place for me. A lesson learned.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Not really sure what worked yesterday but clearly something did. I’d only done a couple of rides in the week, had to use a spare rear wheel with file tread (which I was thinking of using anyway) and had spent the day preceding sawing and splitting wood. I don’t think there were many places to brake at all on the course. It was definitely a quick one. 16 miles we raced for. I had probably my best start ever and just managed to keep going. There were plenty of places to ride tactically, so I did. That said, looking at my hr and I was firmly in threshold for the whole race. With the exception of the first lap moves by the very fast boys I tried to jump on every attack.
    Good swapping places with ferrals more times than I can recall, along with another lad, Keelan, who’s been strong this year. I managed to snap my chain on the final sprint to the line but made enough gap on the following rider to coast and not lose a place.
    I hurt today

davidjey
    Free Member

gridded on the front row but missed my pedal

I was first to react to the whistle and led the race for about the first ten metres 🙂 I then rapidly found out that while my reaction time might have been better than Matt Fratesi and Jake Phelps, they accelerate through the gears an awful lot quicker than me 😳 Hung on to 3rd into the first corner and therefore spent the first lap going backwards – barreled into a few corners way too hot trying to defend places, which obviously ended up having the opposite effect.

Then just full gas for another 60 minutes. Never really had anyone to work with on a course fast enough for drafting, so just rode in my own little pain bubble.

ferrals
    Free Member

I was quite intimidated being sandwiched between Jacob Phelps and Gruff Lewis 😳 😆

Funny thing was Gruff was just sat on his top tube when the whistle went, made a surprised grunt and still got going quick and flew off at warp speed.

ferrals
    Free Member

Good swapping places with ferrals more times than I can recall, along with another lad, Keelan,

I was jsut relieved Matt came along and dragged me back to you guys when i was flagging initially otherwise you’ld have been well away. gutted i couldnt stick there till the end. I’m digin deep into the excusing bank and blaming it on not bothering with changing to file treads and wearing a base layer so i overheated.. too cold last week, too hot this week.. hopefully I’ll be like goldilocks and next week will be just right 😆

trickydisco
    Free Member

I then rapidly found out that while my reaction time might have been better than Matt Fratesi

Ah, which league is this in? He Local league used to be the Western leaguein Bristol. Proper rapid..think he beat Simon richardson in 1 race.

I’m guessing he’s gone to uni now

ferrals
    Free Member

Welsh league, think he’s Swansea Uni Race team at the mo

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You not racing Welsh Champs this weekend? Me and crashtestmonkey are coming back for some fun and games!

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah doing Welsh Champs but no more of the league races.

We’ve put in hours of effort riding round Singleton planning out course options but think we’ve got a champ-worthy one planned. Are you on the WCX facebook group? course map is up, plenty of hair-pins and offcamber, a solid (well for cx, about 30s) climb, a few short punchy climbs. its a real mix.

mooman
    Free Member

The Xmas-x at Caerphilly not motivating many this year. Fingers crossed it not rain between now & then … it may not be too muddy then!!

ferrals
    Free Member

I’d like to but despite my best negotiations, requests for yet another sunday cycling fell on deaf ears- though to be fair to my wife, with it being exactly two weeks befor the due date of our first child she may have a point 😳 😆

davidjey
    Free Member

The Xmas-x at Caerphilly not motivating many this year. Fingers crossed it not rain[b]buckets down[/b] between now and then … it may not be too muddy [b]dry[/b] then!!

Come on Ant, it’s ‘cross, mud is all part of it and we’ve had an exceptionally dry series of races relative to a normal season. And as somebody who goes best when ploughing through the slop I’ve been at a disadvantage all season!

Mtn View Ranch is a great venue too, lots of course-side hard standing and a nice warm cafe to hide in after.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

YEs I’m on the welsh CX page (Franalina) so had a sneaky peak. Do you just gain entry to the park from the boating lake down on the front?

Surely 2 weeks before your first child is born is the perfect time to be racing your last cx race as you won’t be racing every again 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

And as somebody who goes best when ploughing through the slop I’ve been at a disadvantage all season

Me too, not had to dismantle my mech once 😥

Munqe-chick – Member

YEs I’m on the welsh CX page (Franalina) so had a sneaky peak. Do you just gain entry to the park from the boating lake down on the front?

Park in the recreation ground car park on St Helens and head up through gates on the other side of the side-road park is what we’re recommending. Probably a 3 minute ride.

Surely 2 weeks before your first child is born is the perfect time to be racing your last cx race as you won’t be racing every again

I thought it was impeccibly timed to have maximum oppurtunity to get used to sleeplessness before next season!

john_l
    Free Member

Terrible race in the London League for me at Leeds Castle this week. Had hardly ridden in the week & was totally knackered & head in completely the wrong place. Gridded on 2nd row & got a reasonable start but then just started going backwards, even stopped a couple of times to quit but sorted myself out to MTFU & finish!

Really missing the mud this season! Next round in a couple of weeks & then there’s over a month off!

mooman
    Free Member

david jey – Member

Come on Ant, it’s ‘cross, mud is all part of it and we’ve had an exceptionally dry series of races relative to a normal season. And as somebody who goes best when ploughing through the slop I’ve been at a disadvantage all season!

Mtn View Ranch is a great venue too, lots of course-side hard standing and a nice warm cafe to hide in after.

I raced it year before last – I did 2 laps, and quit. It just didnt feel like a race … though to be fair, last years course had one or two little changes that looked a bit better (although still had all the bad bits too).

Even Ross the Boss is thinking of giving it a miss. And he like a pig in mud.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Looks like it is going to be a cold one with hard ground on Sunday!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘2016-17 CX racing thread’ is closed to new replies.