Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Quite a few! I blame these fancy 11sp cassettes with lots of cogs, minimal clearance and narrow chains, my 9 speed was ‘fine’ a.k.a survived.

Cleaning the bike took over an hour- and there is still bits of grass jammed in the chainset and jockey wheels.

I’m hoping to go for a practise at MM eiter on Weds eve if I can leave work early enough or on Sat if you are keen?

After MM I can only do Pembrey and maybe the botantical gardens 🙁

IdleJon

Wednesday evening is good for me. (Working on Saturday.) Got decent lights?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Hmm, definately a one way conversation going on here

nah, it spilled over into your tyre thread which is what brought me here!

I Comm’d at Central League today. Seemed like a good race, the course looked quite interesting with a mixture of grass plugging and more technical riding.

the hilly mound was well used with a steep slippy chalky climb (which if you could ride you made up places on those that carried and then struggled to clip in) and quite a few off-camber corners. Good fun course and amazing weather again (done 4 of the Central League now). I had a good race in V40, came first out of the 3 of our club (BMCC) that are closely matched and having our own private race, but probably my best place overall and hopefully nudging top 10 (from being ceded on back row due to having never raced for round 1 I’m now up to 2nd row, typically been 80 in V40 which is our biggest cat). Munqe Chick won the women. Again 8)

What was it, something between 10 and 20 wrecked rear mechs?

MC’s JIF buddies reported over 20 ripped off rear mechs on FB (either mech or hanger failed) as a result of mud+grass = birds nest in the sprocket. Looks like we’re spoiled in Central!

ferrals
    Free Member

MC’s JIF buddies reported over 20 ripped off rear mechs on FB (either mech or hanger failed) as a result of mud+grass = birds nest in the sprocket.

25 DNF’s according to the results. it was fairly brutal on the bike.
    I’m chuffing my socks off at the moment as i made the top twenty overall and within spitting distance of top ten senior. Sure I will be back to normal next week though!

IdleJon – Member

Wednesday evening is good for me. (Working on Saturday.) Got decent lights?

No, just a rubbish light, I was planning on driving over, trying to get there at 4.30ish and ride for an hour? can’t be certain I’ll manage that though

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I see they still aren’t willing to split the Welsh league down into slightly smaller fields?

We clearly are certainly very spoilt in Central League. Isn’t it Gorseinon this Sunday for you Welshies? We are at wedding Sat night and I was tempted but it’s driving the wrong way to return home to Oxford later that night. Plus having raced 5 CX weekends in a row (last weekend the doubler too) I am shattered and need a week off to recover!!!!!

Absolutely love it though!!

ferrals
    Free Member

Absolutely love it though!!

I’ve become totally obsessed with ‘cross, it’s so much fun.

Yeah it’s Gorseinon this weekend and organised by my club so have to say it’s worth coming for. Given the forecast it might be another muddy one 😀

I like the big fields too, rarely an issue passing riders if your lapping them and it keeps the racing frantic!

IdleJon

Given the forecast it might be another muddy one

You’d better believe it!

(I can’t make it out earlier on Wednesday sorry. If you go over there you’ll be distinctly unimpressed with the venue but they make it into a good course though.)

ferrals
    Free Member

Judging by how quickley it got dark yest I doubt I’ll make it either. See you on Sunday!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I raced Gorseinon last year is it the same course? If so it will be PROPER manky think I will give it a miss! If I was going to race I’d make the effort to get back up here for Central league but I actually think I need a week off my legs are battered!

ferrals
    Free Member

Layout is changed a bit but venue the same as I understand it.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Look forward to seeing you at Gorseinon, Ferrals.
    I had a little restorative break over in France so missed Carms. I like MM, it’s an involving course.
    Glad to hear you’re getting some bite from the tyres.

davidjey
    Free Member

I’d expect similar conditions to Carmarthen for Melin Mynach. The bottom of the hill in particular is always a complete slog – last year I recall a downhill to the bottom part of the course that you had to pedal hard the whole way down just to keep moving through the mud! Bottom of the hill became quicker to run than ride by the end of the race.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone doing the CX mountain event at llandovery on the 15th November?

simondbarnes

I Comm’d at Central League today. Seemed like a good race, the course looked quite interesting with a mixture of grass plugging and more technical riding.

Ah, didn’t see you there. I was visiting friend in Bucks so came along to plod around at the rear of the V40 field. Very different to the NW league – much prefer racing in a field of 120-160 riders (Vets / women) as it gives me more people to try and race rather than being lonely at the back! I did manage to beat 7 people and only got lapped once (just!)
    The spiral thingy was properly annoying, made me dizzy, no need for those!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zZevrm]Central League Round 5[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

aP
    Free Member

Ah! I did see you, there was another caker there as well?
    Normally there’d be more riders but it was a combination of a 2 race weekend and National Trophy on Sunday, so was the smallest field of the year.
    The spiral is not the preferred option in a venue with so much area to ride in. I prefer the double-double kidney that I used when I promoted Archer races at Hillingdon. Also some cheeky reducing radius corners to force braking/ change of pace and maybe the odd dead stop turn!
    Next Comm for me will be Sussex London league after Xmas.

simondbarnes

Yes, there was a fast Velocaker and a slow one 🙂

Not sure when my next race is, work keeps getting in the way 🙁

jb89
    Free Member

After starting to road race last year, I dug my MTB out having ridden it about 6 times since I bought it in 2011, to race some of the Central League CX races. Did the Novice at the MK Bowl 2 weeks ago and came 1st, and entered the senior race last week. Great fun! Inspired to get back on the MTB in general!

thomthumb
    Free Member

planning on racing a wessex round this year only ever done one CX race (same venue a couple of years back) raced SS then and came 2nd from last (happy with that!)

I’d like to do it without buying any stuff….

is 34:44 a silly chainring combo?
    bontrager cx0 or small block 8 for grassy ex golf course?
    is it worth swapping to latex tubes?

am i over thinking it ? 😉

Garry_Lager

Great course at Liverpool yesterday – narrow with singletrack sections, couple of sharp-ish climbs close together. Felt like one of the harder courses this year for intense phases, but there were places you could recover (a bit!). I’ve found the fast, open courses more difficult in general.

I finally remembered to screw in some toe studs on my shoes for this race – felt like it made a big difference on the run-ups.

simondbarnes

No 🙂

gary

bontrager cx0 or small block 8 for grassy ex golf course?

I replaced a CXO with Michelin Mud for the Sparsholt race today and still ended up on my arse. So weather dependent I’d say.

If you mean the Eastleigh round in a couple of weeks, its moved to Southampton Sports Centre.

john_l
    Free Member

12th at Ardingly today. Best course yet & a massive field!

The mud made an appearance too 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

[/url]Vet men by Huw Williams, on Flickr[/img]

Love this pic! That’s me in the Singular kit, chasing down the Evans rider.

davidjey
    Free Member

Beautiful warm sunshine for Welsh League in Gorseinon yesterday. The course was still muddy though; I blame the warm sun for drying out the mud on my jockey wheels resulting in a torn off rear mech just as I started the last lap. That was a long, long run to the pits.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I really didn’t enjoy Ardingly yesterday, it felt as if there were no recovery sections just constant effort for an hour. Probably more to do with me than the course though, I spent the whole race wanting to pull out.

ferrals
    Free Member

That’s a nice pic- looks like a good course.

Beautiful warm sunshine for Welsh League

It didnt seem so beautiful when I was overheating!

Bit of a frustrating race for me felt good and ‘home’ turf but had a bad start: someone a couple of rows in front of me stumbled, the row behind stopped, forcing me to stop with people behind knocking into me. By the time I’d extricated myself and got going I could see people steaming past either side. Got angry and went too hard the first two laps to try and reach the people I wanted to be racing with (failed), and spent the middle couple of laps swallowing my own vomit and paying for my efforts. Dropped my chain in the last lap too. No idea how I’ve done, hoping judging by strava better than I thought initially. Ah well, another lesson learned in race pacing.

Enjoyed the course though, a good mix. David – were you running that boggy slight uphill after the hairpin in the field by the carpark? I couldnt work out what to do there.

Shedbrewed had a bad off – hope your feeling better today mate.

Jon, didnt see you at the end – how did you go?

davidjey
    Free Member

David – were you running that boggy slight uphill after the hairpin in the field by the carpark?

In the later stages yes, ran it the last three laps (didn’t have any choice on the final lap!)

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@David Jey, it wasn’t you running with the bike shouldered with a torn rear DR and no rear wheel was it? That was commitment I thought.

@Ferrals. Yes a bit better today thanks. It was the lads wither side of me on the start who clattered together and I got caught up in it too. Made really good progress after that and was feeling very good. I even caught sight of David too! Then I hit a lump of something and OTB’d onto my right eye/face on I think lap 3 or 4. Was 20 minutes in. The remainder of that lap was obvious something wasn’t right as I couldn’t balance through corners and everything was kaleidoscoping from that eye. Pulled out, disappointed and saw the medics. They did a pupil check and confirmed it was ok in there, so just concussion. Eye is only slightly shining today and balance is not so bad now. Was rough last night.

Up to Newtown this Sunday and hope for a better result!

ferrals
    Free Member

it wasn’t you running with the bike shouldered with a torn rear DR and no rear wheel was it? That was commitment I thought.

That was one of the guys from my club – I think he ran a whole lap.

Mondays are a killer, not only am i tired, i keep getting distracted and looking for the results 😳 hope they do use timing chips next year.

will
    Free Member

Central League yesterday, a pretty relentless course with the bumps, enough mud to make the corners fun. I had a good race in the seniors and came away with 4th, so pleased with that.

Ardingly – That was London League wasn’t it?

IdleJon

I got slower and slower. Stopped to clean mud and grass out of the frame but didn’t realise until the end that my jockey wheels were about to seize up, packed with grass! Another lap and I would have done the same as David, I reckon.
    In theory, the guy without his back wheel should be dq’d. Good effort and all that but the rules say you need to complete the course with a whole bike.(If he was behind me then fine, but if he beat me…. where’s the complaint form? :D)

IdleJon

Oh, but I beat a world champ!(Manon) 😀

davidjey
    Free Member

In theory, the guy without his back wheel should be dq’d. Good effort and all that but the rules say you need to complete the course with a whole bike.

One of the things I like about Welsh League is that Liz enforces the spirit of the rules rather than following them to the letter. Although I did wonder how that happened – was it a conscious ‘I know, I’ll just chuck my rear wheel in a bush to lighten the load a bit’ decision, and if so why stop at one wheel 😉

Anyway I reeled him and dropped him on the last lap, thereby winning the bike carrying category, for which there didn’t seem to be a podium sadly.

ferrals
    Free Member

I didn’t fully understand through the lactic haze when he explained it but he got a puncture, kept riding with the puncture and then his mech snapped, at which point I’m assuming he just ditched the wheel.

IdleJon – Member

Oh, but I beat a world champ!(Manon)

I heard someone say something about a wold champion being there and i wondered what they meant..

john_l
    Free Member

Ardingly – That was London League wasn’t it?

yup.

pjt201
    Free Member

There was a guy in a Western League Race (Conham I think) who did the last 30 odd minutes running round the course without a bike. He a) beat me (it was very muddy in my defence) and b) wasn’t dq’d. I don’t really take it seriously enough to care, and fair play to him for running for 30mins in a pair of carbon soled race slippers.

jb89
    Free Member

In theory, the guy without his back wheel should be dq’d. Good effort and all that but the rules say you need to complete the course with a whole bike.

In Central League yesterday my Teammates wheel fell out about 200m from the finish so he ran the rest, only to be told he may be DQ’d. He was about 3 laps down on the winners at the time.

benji
    Free Member

No, wick weeks made a special batch for Katy Compton a few years ago in that exact sizing. Makes more sense for most people than the usual 36:46. Personally if I was in the market for new chainrings I would be going single and thick thin.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Hard work yesterday, racing in temperatures of 20 degrees

Dales_rider
    Free Member

On the Chainset question, went single on the front with a 36 running 10 speed 12 – 30.
    BTW would never go back to a double for CX

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.