Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • john_l
    Free Member

The super fast downhill right hander into the barriers & the singletrack climb.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

The loamy woods section for me. Having to switch mode from max effort to controlled line choice was a real test.

simondbarnes

First cross race in 2 or 3 seasons for me today. I survived and wasn’t last! Excellent course at Hoghton Tower for the first round of the NWCCA. Great job by the folks at Red Rose Olympic in putting it on 🙂

durhambiker
    Free Member

Just got back from picking up a cheap CX bike, tempted to have a go at a race or two this year, so will keep on eye on this thread

simondbarnes

You should durhambiker – very inclusive, everybody welcome.

ferrals
    Free Member

First ever ‘cross race today! Didn’t sleep properly last night due to nervous excitement! 🙂

cp

Had my first of the season yesterday at Hardwick Hall, first round of notts and Derby. Was happy with hire I was going until a snapped quick link brought a premature end. Actually fixed it once but the second time was terminal.

Great course, twisty and dampened by the morning rain.

Was brave enough to try the delight that is 20psi in my clinchers.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

No need for cross bikes, just a 29er will do. Cross wheels and tubs optional.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

mick_r

^ That bike always goes as fast as it looks (know I’ve tried hard if he doesn’t manage to lap me).

simond – hope you rode the steps out of the barn rather than all the dismounting mincers – it was surprisingly easy and much faster. Mrs also rode them every lap and said the same.

Spent ages on friday afternoon getting the zigzags laid out just right on the tower lawn, but never got a clear full speed run at them in the race (vets and ladies field is huge and rather congested). Also a really good course for singlespeed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I’m back on it, hard ride Friday, hard ride yesterday, CX sprints this morning. Just a little chest cough to finally get rid of and I’m back, legs feeling great.

Best of luck to all racing this weekend 😀

simondbarnes

simond – hope you rode the steps out of the barn rather than all the dismounting mincers – it was surprisingly easy and much faster. Mrs also rode them every lap and said the same.

I did indeed! Not very elegantly but made up / saved places every lap by doing so – I’m rubbish at dismounting / remounting 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Amazing fun at my first race at the welsh league rnd 1, brutal, but fun, luckily the course wasn’t technical so my tiredness wasn’t a massive factor. Boiling hot sunshine too 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Undergoing massive post-race come-down today! Cannot wait till the next one I can make. Anyone else race yesterday?
    I enjoyed the welsh course, as a ‘cross novice I was pleased there weren’t any hurdles! The hardest bit for me was one tight uphill off camber hairpin just before the finish. Kept trying to ride it, was only the last couple of laps I realized it was faster to take a high line then dismount and spin the bike round the turn.

davidjey
    Free Member

Hi Ferrals – I was at Welsh League yesterday. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Really good well thought-out course – I like one where there are no FORCED dismounts but are a real challenge to ride…that bank was a 50/50 for me, so it was a run every lap as the penalty for cocking it up was high. I only found a line I could ride through the sand (and more importantly out the other side) on the final two laps.

Solid but unspectacular lower end of the top 20 for me – mind you I just glad to get round after crashing hard in practice. Hit my head and lower back pretty hard – only realised after the race that I’d cracked my helmet in the process – but managed to get round without seizing up. I’m sore from crashing today in additional to the usual post-race dead legs.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Due to illness I was supporting yesterday at Welsh rnd1.
    I was gutted not to be racing but was for the best.
    Looked a good course, credit to Jif for arranging it. Shame the Llantarnam course has gone though.
    David did you bin it on the off-camber descent just before the kerb and building section? I helped someone there who took an almighty wrong way tumble in practice.
    Ferrals, were you with Jon P? If so I met you before and after. Glad you enjoyed it.
    One of my club mates bought a bike Thursday eve and raced this as his first race on the Sunday. Jon put a cheeky pass on him in the closing laps. He thoroughly enjoyed it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t know if anyones interested but Raphas Super Cross is planned for 17 & 18th Oct at Shibden Hall nr Halifax and 14th Nov at Kings Cross in London around the University grounds 😀

If you think of it like a local CX meet it is, just a few fast lads turn up and tear the legs off everyone in the Elite Cat!

The rest of the field are normal Guys and Gals digging in hard and enjoying a great supported event in some lovely surroundings.

davidjey
    Free Member

David did you bin it on the off-camber descent just before the kerb and building section?

Mine was further up the back of the course, after the hairpin nearest the school entrance. Got my bars caught in the tape, which then whipped the bike out from under me at high speed. They moved the tape afterwards to stop any else riding the same line!

ferrals
    Free Member

Shedbrewed, yes, that was me with Jon, hopefully see you at some of the other rounds. Yeah had a great time, had a good battle with one of the jif riders for a while before he dropped me. Think I could have pushed harder as my legs barely hurt today, but it felt brutal at the time and my legs weren’t listening to me!

David – cheers, unlucky about the crash, sounds like a decent result considering! glad to hear on fb that no-one hurt themselves badly in the startline crash either as that looked savage out of the corner of my eye. I was getting through the sand in practise but not out the other side so just ran it.

Any idea when the results are likely to be on-line? I was somewhere mid pack i guess/hope, managed 8 laps in a bit under 55 minutes based on my rudimentary self timing.

IdleJon

One of my club mates bought a bike Thursday eve and raced this as his first race on the Sunday. Jon put a cheeky pass on him in the closing laps.

😆 It was very cheeky! Someone had knocked the tapes down on that corner, and then halfway through the stakes were removed as well, so I’d already decided that a tight quick line was legal.. Your team-mate slowed for a very hesitant backmarker on the wider, original line, so I decided to take the tight line, where the stakes had been. I felt guilty that I didn’t shout a warning but was worried that your mate would block my line if he knew what I was doing.

Good race. Same as Ferrals, my legs feel fine today. I only really found some speed on the last lap yesterday – should have gone a bit harder.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

It was a polite cheeky pass and I could see it coming from the sidelines. His first race so he was just enjoying it. See you at Foxley, or Cardigan if I don’t make the time cut for the Welsh 50tt champs.

simondbarnes

Fat bloke tries to race a bicycle 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yAgzYs]Hoghton Tower NWCCA Round1[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

mick_r

Simon – recognise the Velocake shirt – were you parked or loitering next to us in the car park? We were in a Citroen people carrier / van thing. Whole family racing, me on home made singlespeed 29er. Alison on Cube 29er with skinny tyres. If so, sorry for not saying hi! We must have been to loads of the same ss races over the years.

148 racers was pretty crazy on such a twisty start…… Vets class is becoming a victim of it’s own success. No easy solution other than elbows out and pedal faster I guess 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Just seen the welsh results and I was almost top third of the whole field and just in the top half of seniors. Pleased with that for a first cross race 🙂
    Do people normally consider positions in the overall field or in their cat? seems mildly confusing not to have them separated?

IdleJon

Do people normally consider positions in the overall field or in their cat? seems mildly confusing not to have them separated?

I look at both and remember the best. I also include all starters. 🙂

I was very mid-field, 74/144 but 16th in V40 out of about 40, so that’s the one I’ll remember! Feels about right considering it’s my first proper race since last December.

ferrals
    Free Member

haha, I always feel a bit bad including DNFs as people I’ve beaten. I’m counting the whole field then!

Shedbrewed, just came across your blog looking for photos of Foxley. That definately looks like its worth driving for!

IdleJon

David jey, were you riding a very brightly coloured bike?

davidjey
    Free Member

David jey, were you riding a very brightly coloured bike?

Quite the opposite – I raced on my Ridley, which is black. Unless you saw me moving the other bike to/from the pits, which a rather horrible striking greeny turquoise Genesis….

I’m trying to figure who you may have mistaken me for now 🙂

I got 15th on Sunday, and finished ahead of all the guys I benchmarked myself again from last season, so that will do nicely. It’s a long season and I’m just after consistency for the final standings really, but part of me is hoping I can scrape my first top ten since 2008 at some point this season…

In terms of standings, as a senior I always just look at the overall result.

IdleJon

I’m trying to figure who you may have mistaken me for now

Just trying to work out who you are. You lapped me, but so did another 20-30 riders! 🙂

part of me is hoping I can scrape my first top ten since 2008 at some point this season…

How much has the field increased since then? I had a break from 2006 until 2012 -back in 2006 the numbers were almost half of what we’ve got these days.

davidjey
    Free Member

I tell a lie, it was 2009, the year I started racing Welsh League after moving down here from the Midlands. But yes, field sizes have basically doubled from then; typically 60-80 rather than the 120-150 we get now.

I’m the tall one riding for AJAX.

IdleJon

David, you liked something I did on FB, so I checked your profile. I’ve spoken to you once or twice and know who you are. 😆 Yeah, keep going for that top 10 – I’ve only ever had one or two, in very small fields and a long time ago. 🙁

rich-c
    Free Member

A fast and flat course up at Northallerton last Sunday gave me my highest position ever coming 6th in the V50’s.

Dead chuffed and wondering whether to retire on a high, or do it all again on Sunday at Wakefield?

Wakefield it is 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

Great technical course at Hogg’s Hill today, lots of singletrack & lumpy. The Spitfire & Hurricane fly-past on the bell lap was ace 🙂

Was riding for Singular on the sscx Kite in the vets.

simondbarnes

Very tough, relentless course at the Horwich Humdinger today for NWCCA round 2. Nowhere to rest at all and my average speed was over 5kph faster than last weekend. Ouch!

cookeaa

First CX race today, wessex league at Newbury, loved it, did abysmally but wasn’t last so that’s something.

I’m sure someone in V40 said “hello cookie” on their way past, was I spotted by another STWists?

flybywire
    Free Member

It was I, no.236 carving the small banks near the tennis courts.
    Great course only crashed once ❗
    You up for the next round?

cookeaa

Waves…

I’m not sure I can make swindon unfortunately I might be able to do Winchester though.

Garry_Lager

Was out at Leverhulme park today same as simondbarnes above – great fun. Course seemed tough (although I’ve not done many) – wide open and fast. I was hardly zipping around it, though – it was a grassy bastard throughout, so hard work to keep the speed.

simondbarnes

it was a grassy bastard throughout

Perfect description!

mick_r

Got my marshal duty done at Leverhulme as I didn’t fancy spinning ss round all that grass….. Still enjoyed the day more than I imagined.

Nicest bikes of the day were:-

Sky blue Orrell steel frame in the vets race.
    Black and red Niner singlespeed in seniors.

Just been in the garage making the seatstays for Alison’s proper cx frame – final push to have it ready for the next round of the series (luckily a 2 week interlude). Will be rattlecan primer only – proper paint can wait until next year.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.