Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • benji
    Free Member

What size gear are you running John?

john_l
    Free Member

40/18 or 19. Usually wishing for a 20 🙂

benji
    Free Member

Area champs weekend, where’s everyone going?

I’ve got a good 2.5hr drive to get to Telford, never raced there, so should be interesting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Sorry for the sneaky high jack…

If any of you looking for a hangover cure on New Years Day the entry is open for Palmer Park Velo’s NY Cross https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/140673/Newbury-New-Year’s-Day-Cyclo-Cross

It should be a really good event, it’s at the tried and tested Goldwell Park in Newbury (home to Newbury Summer CX), there should be pizza & hot coffee available (to be confirmed) and we are working on some rapha like features for the course!!!

It’s a non-ranking event so super cheap, £3 for little ones and £5 for those who are fully grown!

Oh, and fancy dress is being encouraged!!!!!

As you were folks!

2tyred

Area champs weekend, where’s everyone going?

Irvine beach for the Scottish champs.

Weather no doubt as wild as it usually is at this race.

Garry_Lager

Have an entry for the N of England one in Manchester – struggling with a cold though, so thinking it would be wise to swerve it.
    Or I may cast off the blouse and get stuck in for 40 mins. Hmmmm – make me mind up on the day.

IdleJon

It’s Colwyn Bay for the Welsh, a 5 hour drive for me, so I’m not going. (I’m not overly disappointed, I can’t remember the last time I rode the Welsh Champs..)

rich-c
    Free Member

North of England champs at Manchester on Sunday, then National trophy at Bradford next week…what was I thinking 🙂

Aim of the day will be not the 1st guy to get lapped

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Wonder whether half of the regionals will go ahead, with Welsh champs being Colwyn bay a long long way so hoping they don’t cancel it! I’m not traveling there for 1hr of racing! I lasted race Welsh CX champs in 1996 😉

I’m currently deciding whether to enter Nat Champs! Race against Helen Wyman and Nikki Harris. . .get a kicking or learn from.experience aim not to get lapped!!!
    Who is in for love crossed CX on 30th Jan? Western league.

ferrals
    Free Member

Haven’t actually registered but planning on lovecrossed. Looks like a great race and day out.

IdleJon

Yeah, I’m thinking of lovecrossed to finish off the season.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Likewise I was wondering about Lovecrossed. Doing the SPAM 50km on 3rd Jan on the cx bike too. Anyone ridden Lovecrossed before?

IdleJon

Doing the SPAM 50km on 3rd Jan on the cx bike too.

It’s years since I last rode that. Always enjoyed it but tried to only ride the frozen ones. (One year we rode across a completely snow covered Plain. It was good until I lost sensation in my fingers.)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have just spent the night at work entering all the remaining Central league CX I can race (all except 2nd Jan) and Love Crossed!

now I just have to sort my full race licence out to do the Nationals and annual leave to do the Wessex League race in Abingdon! ooo 2 races on a weekend I’m beginning to feel like a pro 😉

benji
    Free Member

Well that got muddy, it was definitely a two bike day, unfortunately I only have one. It was a great course but the rain that came down prior to the race turned it into an exercise in skidding about which was great fun.

2tyred

Tremendous day at Irvine beach for the Scottish champs, surprise late entrant: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35029568

Happy ending – no one rode over him and he’ll be off to Gran Canaria after a bit of a race.

Should make next year’s risk assessment interesting.

I did OK yesterday, robbed of a top 10 finish on the penultimate lap when a rider I was lapping managed to swing his back wheel out at 90 degrees as I passed, which took me out and let the two riders chasing me nip by. Never made it close enough back onto them to contest it.

flybywire
    Free Member

good shout adam buckland .. the summer rounds at northcroft, Newbury were fab.

Be a laugh in fancy dress! bonuses for fairy lights?

2tyred

Dig in at the Dock, Scotland’s most popular CX race, has just sold out all 180 spots in about 4 minutes. Wow!

21 Feb at Bo’ness, brilliant day out if you’re in the area.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Flybywire – Of course. The guy has confirmed that he’ll be there with oven fresh pizza – fat and carbs to soak up the hang over. I think the snow machine has also been confirmed which should add to the fun!

sefton
    Free Member

North of Endland’s Sunday just gone, Bradford this weekend, NWCCA Sheepmount Carlisle Cancelled

flybywire
    Free Member

have the “green light” for new year’s day @northcroft – wooh!
    Sounds good, pizza – hopefully not see it again (maybe snack post ride?)

what tyres for pseudo snow? 😉

benji
    Free Member

what tyres for pseudo snow?

pseudo file treads 😉

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

pseudo file treads

Lol…

I’ve heard that there will also be some extra festive additions to the course!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Who is at Hillingdon this weekend for Central league?anyone got any handy hints on course?? Thanks.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Who is at Hillingdon this weekend for Central league?anyone got any handy hints on course?? Thanks.

ferrals
    Free Member

Just entered love-crossed 🙂 seen some pics of the Welsh course and it looks boggy! Going wait till next week to race, back still bad. Plus racing mtb on 3rd Jan so need to remind myself what flat bars are like!

TiRed

The frankencross is ready, the wrist is ready, the legs are ready (after an aborted E123 race today). Roll on tomorrow’s vets race at Hillingdon. First cross ride of the season, and only five left. Might race the senior race too as i havent been off road since the accident in April.

Should be fun riding past the broken derailleurs with my single speed and three INCHES of mud clearance on 18 psi tubeless tyres. It may not be fast, but it always finishes 😈

edit MC my club TCC have been laying out the course for the past two days. It is not particularly technical, just one modest descent, a lot of riding on a camber and a lot of grass and last year there was sticky mud so bikes were coming back with a kilo of mud stuck to them. It will be windy and there will be a mad dash on the tarmac at the start. Three bikes broke rear derailleurs on the practice lap last year. what are you riding, i’ll give you a cheer ( i’m on my single speed mtb with cross tyres and may brave a tcc skinsuit). Curiously i tested some of the banking on my road bike this afternoon avoiding a crash in the Imperial Winter Series race that was abandoned!

TiRed

Finished 11/59 in a sticky grassy race of attrition. Was gridded right at the back, but things were sorted by end of second lap of four. I needed another lap to catch the tenth placed rider. But as my first race (and fourth ever) I was pleased. Will ride the remainder now I’m happy my wrist is better.

MC how did you get on?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@ferrals, yup it was gloopy today at Caerphilly. Took singlespeed and cx bike and think I saved the rear derailleur by starting and doing 4 laps on the SS before swapping to the faster CX bike. Rear DR started graunching on penultimate lap so swapped back to SS for final lap. Was very very muddy.
    Which Lovecrossed race did you enter? I notice there’s two for Seniors?

ferrals
    Free Member

Really? Just clicked on senior men 12.45 start for an hour. You going to do it? Sounds like a great way to end the cross season, especially watching the world champs afterwards in a stately home! I guess we won’t be allowed in muddy!

Bit gutted I didn’t do Caerphilly as my back felt OK riding mtb today – but I think running and shouldering the bike would have been a step too far.

Still, frothing for Pembrey now and so long as I finish I’ll have done 7 for a league position.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@ferrals Yeah 12:45 was the one I was going for. Will get it entered. Looking forward to Pembrey

ferrals
    Free Member

What was the a-line / b-line split by the way? They don’t normally do that in cx?

IdleJon

I’ll have done 7 for a league position.

They’ve reduced it to 6 events after cancelling the other week.

ferrals
    Free Member

Ah cool, pleased about that – was that on the F.b. page?

IdleJon

Yes, think so. (I hope I didn’t dream it as I’ll be one event short…)

shedbrewed
    Free Member

ferrals – Member
    What was the a-line / b-line split by the way? They don’t normally do that in cx?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

There was a hillock coming out of one of the bunkers which was the A line, with the B line as the chicken run. The A line was definitely quicker and rolled you into the next section whereas you were pedalling all through the B.

john_l
    Free Member

Another huge mudfest in the London League yesterday. Big climb, nice descent & a lot of slop in between with lots of roots & thorns to catch people out.

5th in V40 – best result this reason, definitely a case of last man standing though – singlespeeds & tubs rock 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

John_l sorry I didn’t get the message before Hillingdon! I raced yes! I had a blinding start (I Was in the black and pink Ale skinsuit) … got up to 24 mph and dropped them all! Then got taken out early on (by a team mate) and 4 girls got a gap on. Having had 5 weeks off racing and 3 of those weeks enjoying life on holiday in Thailand it was a bit of a suffer fest after that! HR tells me I was working hard with an average of 188 and max of 196 and body feels battered today! I made some poor decision on run v walk so lost an additional space. ended up finishing 6th… disappointing as worst race of season! I did have a big gap on the women’s overall lead which is now going to come down to the last 3/4 races! I need to get the speed back into my legs which I had at the start of the season dam it! Muddy, lumpy, hard graft out there! Can’t say I was the biggest fan but maybe impaired by my poorer performance?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

PS how slow to get the results out! Woman had timing chips and still on Tuesday morning there are no published results! That would seriously annoy me if I was further down the field as people always want to know how they got on!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve just had my first weekend without racing since October. Not sure what I’m going to do with myself now! I’d set a target of breaking into the top ten in the series and I finished 7th overall which included a DNF in one race and missing another because of a family holiday. So I think I’ll have to set myself a top 5 for next season . 😯 Some friends are organising a local race at the end of January which is part of a different race series but it’s unofficial so there is lots of secrecy surrounding it including on the day as everyone will only know the location of the meeting point and will have to ride in convoy to the race venue. They have over 200 starters already so not sure how they are going to manage it all without the authorities getting wind of it. Should be good!

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.