Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Figured given the number of cx threads recently and the fact that it looks like winter outside we could start a winter cross racing thread!?

Who’s racing this winter?

Having just acquired a cx bike, I’m frothing on the idea and looking forward to trying a few of the welsh league. Utterly clueless as to what it will be like apart from that from videos it looks really good fun! been watching a lot of the uci replays on you-tube.

What sort of training do you do to prep for ‘cross races? For the moment, my main goal is getting used to the handling of a drop bar bike and practicing a few mounts/dismounts.

davidjey
    Free Member

Hello! I will be racing Welsh League too.

I assume you’re in S Wales – whereabouts? There’s a CX training group on Monday nights in Cardiff, come along if you are nearby.

If you can’t get there, that consists of stuff like dismount/remount/carrying practice, sprints/practice starts, and usually finishes with a 10 minute race round a mini CX circuit – much easier to replicate race pace efforts with some ‘friendly’ competition.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Love this thread each year!

Sounds like Cardiff has a great set up, I wish we could get a decent number of riders each week to do something similar – it’s pretty dull by yourself!

I’ll be doing as many rounds of the Wessex League as possible with the aim being to bother the top 10 more often than the once I achieved last year!!

I’ll also be at a few rounds of the Swindon Floodlit League, unfortunately I can’t make them all this year 😥

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers David, I’m near Swansea, seems there is a group that does cx training in swansea too so going to give that a crack one week.

Looks like I’m going to miss the first few but should make the dare valley one if i don’t make any before.

everyone
    Free Member

I should be doing some races this year hopefully! My local series is the Nottingham Derby league.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll be doing select LondonCX league events dotted around the South East and Raphas SuperCross (I might even to the Munich one) events.
    I’m doing (cough) the 3Peaks having got in by chance, also continue doing my favorite long distance CX sportives (Lakeland MonsterX etc.)

Training, yes always. Sprint training recently, intervals and stretching these out to HITs giving me the sHITs. My club have some training sessions set up soon and I’ll be doing those as I need to improve my short course technique.

Bike, my Giant TCX Adv1. Upgrades a new Zipp 120mm stem & 40cm Zipp SL bars fitted last weekend, ProLogo NacTT seat fitted too, can’t chose between a carbon wheelset I’ve identified yet and this is causing a headache (ridiculous I know) Tyres, using Challenge Almanzos ATM as it’s super dry but will revert back to Griffos and Limus when the course (s) require it.

8)

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Finished the 4 round South London Summer Series last week and can’t wait for the season proper!

I’ll be doing the London X League along with a couple Central League and Eastern League races and maybe a round of the National Trophy.

The start of my season overlaps with the road and track season so I shouldn’t need to do much specific training at first, mainly skills based stuff.

crispycross
    Free Member

Good stuff! You’re right that it’s very important to be able to dismount, carry and mount smoothly. That way, you can still keep moving even on bits you can’t ride and you’ll hardly lose any time to guys who struggle on in the saddle. Watching vids of pro races is always good for inspiration and learning – check out the ‘Svenness’ and ‘likeaVos’ series on vimeo too, where there’s a bit of added commentary to give some insight into what’s going on.
    Most importantly, good luck and have fun!

IdleJon

errals – Member
    Cheers David, I’m near Swansea, seems there is a group that does cx training in swansea too so going to give that a crack one week

If you fancy it we could head over to Melin Mynach and use the course there for some training? Or even the old Welsh champs course at Morfa, what’s left of it. It’s very rough compared to modern courses though.

Could possibly get some interest for a short ‘mates race’ type of thing?

Are you following Welsh cx on FB? https://m.facebook.com/groups/163156400536743?ref=bookmarks

tang
    Free Member

Poss the odd race but I’m hosting the final round of Western League as part of the Lovecrossed weekend. Saturday will see 4crossed: 4hrs, teams of 4 over a slightly longer course. More details to come!

aP
    Free Member

Probably not riding any but Commissairing London & Central League.

nedrapier

I’ll be on me tod in Helsinki from September – December. There’s a low key CX race series there, which, as a billy-no-mates who’s taking his cross-type bike over, sounds ideal!

ferrals
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

errals – Member
    Cheers David, I’m near Swansea, seems there is a group that does cx training in swansea too so going to give that a crack one week

If you fancy it we could head over to Melin Mynach and use the course there for some training? Or even the old Welsh champs course at Morfa, what’s left of it. It’s very rough compared to modern courses though.

Could possibly get some interest for a short ‘mates race’ type of thing?

Are you following Welsh cx on FB? https://m.facebook.com/groups/163156400536743?ref=bookmarks

Cheers Jon, doing a bit of training / mates race at Melin Mynach or Morfa sounds like a great idea. Maybe Melin Mynach to start off with if its smoother as my hands are still getting used to rattling around on the rough stuff! I’ll message you on FB later. Going to head along to the G.R. training one thurs i reckon too

LS
    Free Member

Full season of racing for me this time around after a late start last season due to injury.
    Notts and Derby league primarily with selected Trophies and the Nationals on top.
    Commissairing an area champs, a Trophy and day 1 of the Nationals.

Bikes all ready bar gluing the tubs on, team training has been going for a few weeks and we’re all raring to go 😀

benji
    Free Member

Mainly doing mtb events, but will take the cx out for a few races, probably the notts and derby league with a few yorkshire rounds in as well, as my local lincs league thinks vets are a lower species and should pay the same entry for a third less racing compared to the seniors.

RoterStern
    Free Member

After the summer break the MTB marathon races kick off again in September with the traditional end of season race on The German Day of Unity (October 3). Then a couple of weeks wait and then the cross season starts on the 18 October in these parts (it’s called the Bioracer Challenge Cup) with 8 rounds this year. Hoping to get my new cross bike together in time (Crux pro) for the end of September as there is one local MTB marathon that is much quicker on a cross bike! 😈

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve just checked the dates on the website and the last two races of the series are on 5th and 6th of December! *Gulps*

seanbolton
    Free Member

Wessex Cyclo-Cross League for me

http://www.wessexcx.co.uk

Bring it on!!

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

I’ll be racing full season again in the North West League.

Just got a new tub on order, been commuting on the cx bike for the past few weeks to get used to it again, been doing plenty of training over the summer.

Cant wait!

STATO
    Free Member

Ill be trying to do more this year as did nothing last year.

Sadly all the interesting North East courses seem to have been dropped by CXNE this year, racing round fields gets boring pretty quick. NECCL rounds look a bit more interesting, some new venues too.

ferrals
    Free Member

Something I’ve been wondering about – what do most people do re. hydration/energy during a race?

energy wise if i fuel up before hand I can probably make it round without needing anything – but will have a few gels ready as per an xc race.

However, from trying shouldering the bike, a bottle/bottle cage is a bit of a hindrance. From what videos I’ve seen people dont tend to carry bottles, but unless I’ve misunderstood, the wlesh league don’t allow handing up of bottles. So do people just race without any mid race hydration? That would destroy me in an xc race but i guess as cx races are a bit shorter and in colder weather its not such an issue?

LS
    Free Member

You can’t have bottles or gels handed up anywhere unless it’s very hot and the commissaire team allow it.
    The vast majority of people go without, it’s only 50-65 mins after all. Bottle cages are a nightmare for carrying the bike effectively, especially if you’re small, and at the sharp end skinsuits are the norm so there’s nowhere for a gel anyway.

rich-c
    Free Member

I’ll be having another go at the Yorkshire point series again this season on a new to me disc bike and 1st season as a Vet 50!

Will prob do a few of the northern Lincs league races as well if they fall right.

Also organising the last round of the Yorks Points series, so I’ll be back on here trying to drum up some entries.

Enjoy everyone 🙂 can’t wait

davidjey
    Free Member

energy wise if i fuel up before hand I can probably make it round without needing anything

I should hope you can, it’s only an hour max! Assuming late morning/lunchtime start, fuelling through the morning sees me through just fine. Some folk ride with bottles but I can’t be doing with them for the reasons Lee says. I’m not one for drinking on the bike in anything lasting less than an hour anyway (possibly because ‘cross has made me used to riding like that), and if I’ve properly buried myself then I usually feel too sick to eat at the end of a ‘cross race for 20-30 mins 😈

bikebouy
    Free Member

ferrals – Member
    Something I’ve been wondering about – what do most people do re. hydration/energy during a race?

Hour races = Drink before, eat before, race, drink after, eat after.

I’d suggest if you can’t go flat chat for an hour without eating/drinking you need to get some practice in to do it.

Bottle cages off, takes 10mins to undo two screws and then put screws back in t’holes.

Long days in the saddle races = cage back on and bottle/eat/gel on the fly as needed.

trickydisco
    Free Member

i’ll be doing a few of the western league races round brizzle. Having a now 8 month old baby has put paid to any sort of training 🙁 I’m just permanently tired

techsmechs
    Free Member

tricky

Its gonna be a hard season this year – I hope you’re gonna be in Bradford On Avon on the 6th?

twinklydave

Getting in as many of the North West league races in as I can this year (will miss a couple with previous engagements/hill climbs). Last year was my first ‘full’ league (ie enough races to get an overall place) and it was bloody brilliant. Really can’t wait to get stuck in again 🙂

(Oh and fuelling/drinking wise – don’t bother carrying anything, you probably won’t have time to use it. I carried the same “emergency” gel around in my jersey for the whole season last year!)

trickydisco
    Free Member

Bradford on avon? Whaa? Who’s organising that one?

I keep hearing of everyone going on the tuesday night chaingang since march. Looks like a lot of people will be lapping me this year

LS
    Free Member

I keep hearing of everyone going on the tuesday night chaingang since march. Looks like a lot of people will be lapping me this year

Ah but you’ll be able to keep up by using your 46 ring, which as we all know you absolutely NEED to be able to compete 😆 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ah but you’ll be able to keep up by using your 46 ring, which as we all know you absolutely NEED to be able to compete

Well exactly. just called me Robert forstemann

david47
    Free Member

Is there much CX is surrey ? I see lots in the surrounding counties, but nothing much local to surrey specifically… Don’t get alot of travel time unfortunately 🙁
    Currently doing alot of XC locally (gorrick), but fancied something abit different

ferrals
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

I’d suggest if you can’t go flat chat for an hour without eating/drinking you need to get some practice in to do it.

david jey – Member

I should hope you can, it’s only an hour max!

haha yeah I can – it’s more that I’ve done the reverse in training myself to force a gel down every lap to lap and a half if XC racing.
    Obviously I don’t do that training or riding, but you never quite replicate the frenzy away from an actual race do you!!

David Jey – did you race some of the Sport cat races in the welsh xc series? if so I think i was parked next to you at builth.

pjt201
    Free Member

@trickydisco – same for me in the Western League, although with 3 month old twins… I’ve almost forgotten what a bike is but still going to try and make it to as many rounds as possible.

I’m astonished by how fast some of the Bristol CX guys got during the summer series (not that they weren’t fast before…). I’ll be the not fast guy racing for Bristol CX (well, I always was, but even less fast this season).

davidjey
    Free Member

David Jey – did you race some of the Sport cat races in the welsh xc series? if so I think i was parked next to you at builth.

Yes I did, and remember chatting to someone there, but I’ve no idea how you have figured out that it was me! That was an XC race that only lasted the same time as a ‘cross race, I felt quite hard done by (particularly as I was trying to reel some folks in at the end and ran out of laps).

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’m astonished by how fast some of the Bristol CX guys got during the summer series (not that they weren’t fast before…)

Yes, Andy Burridge really caned the training this year. He was on fire towards the end of the season

techsmechs
    Free Member

tricky

Dunno – its a new event, pan flat like a dirt crit apparently. Then a week off then back in with the normal Glos boating lake toward the end of the month. I think its going to be tight at the top with everyone fighting for spots – I certainly want to get involved this year!

Western League Rd1

ferrals
    Free Member

david jey – Member

Yes I did, and remember chatting to someone there, but I’ve no idea how you have figured out that it was me! That was an XC race that only lasted the same time as a ‘cross race, I felt quite hard done by (particularly as I was trying to reel some folks in at the end and ran out of laps).

POSTED 37 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I spent a bit of time before the last race at nant looking at the series standings and trying to work out permutations and who people were so I could get an idea of how well I might do. so recognised the name – then it was a lucky guess!

Not that all my calculations did me any good as I crashed in practise Sunday morning and didn’t even start – which was a real pain as when I rode it the sat night it would have suited me with lots of climbing. That builth one was very short and flat, was a weird one For me, I finished with loads of energy left but not able to up my pace when someone past me at the last half lap.

john_l
    Free Member

Will be racing my new custom singlespeed disc Singular Kite in the London & SE/Sussex League – first round at Stanmer on Sept 6th. Looking forward to it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t normally link to other sites but there are two that maybe of help to those wishing to improve for the season..

Cycle-Smart Knowledge Page

and closer to home these guys..

Fluent in Cross..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.