2015 Scott Gambler & Voltage

Home Forum Bike Forum 2015 Scott Gambler & Voltage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2015 Scott Gambler & Voltage
  • dashed

Liking the 720 but guessing it comes with the horrible budget fox 40s again…

Premier Icon nuke
    Subscriber

Interesting to see how little difference there looks between the 26″ dropout hole and the 27.5 dropout hole

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

nuke – Member

Interesting to see how little difference there looks between the 26″ dropout hole and the 27.5 dropout hole

They’re probably further apart than they need to be- difference between a 26 and 650b wheel is only 12.5mm, the holes are 15mm apart.

Always feel like whenever a frame tries to do both, it can’t be right for one or both, that feels like the case here- moving the axle means the wheel will physically fit but that’s not the only difference I’d want between a 26 and 650b bike.

rocketman

I know some of you like blunt instruments:
    http://www.mtb-mag.com/en/new-scott-gambler-and-voltage-fr/

Top models look nice but I think I’ll be hanging on to mine for a while yet

Always feel like whenever a frame tries to do both, it can’t be right for one or both, that feels like the case here- moving the axle means the wheel will physically fit but that’s not the only difference I’d want between a 26 and 650b bike.

No, you’d want adjustable BB height and and head angle too – which handily it has!

rocketman

horrible budget fox 40s again

yup that’s what I thought 🙂

how little difference there looks between the 26″ dropout hole and the 27.5 dropout hole

allegedly there’s an adjustable head set as well but maybe Scott have over-simplified things. Or maybe that’s all there is to it?

BearBack

Don’t get hung up on the 26 and 27.5 comparable thing. Ever since Scott introduced the IDS dropout system its been possible to adjust the wheelbase of the bikes bybswapping dropouts. This is no different here.
    In fact, my current voltage (2010 team voltage dh frame) used long drop outs in order to run a 27.5 wheelset
    Being that the full builds will only be available as 27.5″ wheels and these frames were developed to continue Scotts commitment to 27.5 across the brand I’m pretty sure there are more differences than simply considering wheelbase adjustment to cater to the mid size wheel.

rocketman

my current voltage (2010 team voltage dh frame) used long drop outs in order to run a 27.5 wheelset

hmmm good point I never thought about using them to run a different wheel size

dirksdiggler

Here’s my 27.5 voltage…

Gambler and high octane before that had adjustable headset options, adjustable travel and adjustable BB height.
    Scott are continuing that theme for rider based tuning options.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

chiefgrooveguru – Member

No, you’d want adjustable BB height and and head angle too – which handily it has!

Yeah, but then you’re using up your adjustability just to correct the wheelsize change.

dirksdiggler

Yeah, but then you’re using up your adjustability just to correct the wheelsize change

Not necessarily. I’m running offset shock bushings to correct BB height.. if I had a regular Voltage FR linkage, I’d still have adjustable BB height and travel. Although my DH frame has a different (fixed) shock mount and linkage so no further BB height/travel adjustment available for me

Yeah, but then you’re using up your adjustability just to correct the wheelsize change.

You’re not correcting, it’s all just different elements of a complex puzzle.

With decent air shocks and forks you can even adjust effective BB height by changing the sag, compression damping and shock volumes.

stim

For the Gambler, the adjustable chain stay length is not to accommodate the bigger wheels. Either wheel size can be run in both chain stay lengths. The 425mm short setting is the same as the 2013 26 only Gambler so the geo has not been compromised. BB height is actually lower than the previous model all while keeping the travel at 210mm. If you set the BB adjustment to high position and run 26 wheels, you will have a very similar BB height to running 650B wheels with the low BB position, meaning you can run a very similar geo setup (with the independently adjustable headset) between the wheel sizes. 26 wheels can be run in the low BB position if the fork is run at or near full extension (which many people do anyway). Geo numbers are quoted with minimum axle to crown height of the fork.

The Voltage is slightly different in that it is made to be a fun park bike/DH bike and so the shortest chain stay option is (a very short) 410mm which will not accept the bigger wheel. However, even in the long setting, the chain stay is still short at 425mm.

_tom_

The new Voltage looks awesome. Interested to see what they do size wise. If they do a 16″ seat tube version I’ll be very tempted! Only thing I didn’t like about my voltage was the 14″ ST.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2015 Scott Gambler & Voltage’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top