Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 317 total)
  • 2015 Prudential ride 100
  • nedrapier

A lady friend of mine got in for the third year running. Declined/postponed her place the first year, rode a decent time last year (4h15 ish?) and she’s in again this year.

Don’t whether this is because she’s female, fast, both, or more of one than the other.

nedrapier

just seen brakes’s’s’es’s’e”s’e’ess. hmmm.

To be honest, one of the least pleasant aspects of last year’s (ignoring the weather, 😆 ) was the dickheaded behaviour from some of the tour de france fantasists/ straight up dickheads. If more women mean there’s less of that, then I reckon it’s the right thing to do. Even if I’m not riding. Pfff.

sadmadalan

Failed again to get in but got a cycle jersey. Not sure what boxes I ticked, money paid to get that to happen but it appeared and I am sure that I will use it. Son No. 2 did not get in, but Son No. 1 did – and he is not that bothered!!

crazy-legs

To be honest, one of the least pleasant aspects of last year’s (ignoring the weather, ) was the dickheaded behaviour from some of the tour de france fantasists/ straight up dickheads. If more women mean there’s less of that, then I reckon it’s the right thing to do.

The worst behaviour I witnessed last year was from some woman who was screaming at the poor baggage handlers at the end because they hadn’t unloaded everything.
    Cos the course was cut, the times were way faster than anticipated so people were standing around at the baggage collections points on The Mall in the rain waiting for their kitbags. This woman went mental, screaming and shouting, how it was unacceptable etc.

Eventually she jumped over the barrier, into the back of the lorry and just started casting bags aside until she found hers. No attempt to help or organise, just totally selfish.

The riding was mostly OK, couple of dickheads for sure and I had to tell some moron on a TT bike to **** off after he tried to join our chaingang. No idea how he’d got it past the marshals, you weren’t allowed tri bars or anything but there he was, full on TT racing bike trying to join our group in the pouring rain. No chance were we risking that liability.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This is why I don’t do events like this..

The riding was mostly OK, couple of dickheads for sure and I had to tell some moron on a TT bike to **** off after he tried to join our chaingang. No idea how he’d got it past the marshals, you weren’t allowed tri bars or anything but there he was, full on TT racing bike trying to join our group in the pouring rain. No chance were we risking that liability.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Wonder if this was the chap my mate saw attaching tribars in the pen before the start – he had smuggled them in under his waterproof!

The RL100 facebook group has no winners at all, people whining, people trolling and lots of chippy charity types making it worse by telling everyone that they should just get their friends and family to cough up so they can have one of their places. Grim

geetee1972
    Free Member

I passed that guy on the TT bike with aero bars coming up onto The Strand. I think he was German maybe? I asked how he had been allowed to ride a bike like that and he shrugged and said it was fine. I thought he was a bit of a dickhead to be honest but since he wasn’t riding at my pace I didn’t have to ask him to cock off.

There were the occasional other twunts but no more than an average day out. It was a brilliant event. Well worth doing. I’m in again this year. Someone was saying that you might have had more chance of a place with a fast time as they need to balance the rider numbers over the course of the start times.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hoping the sun will come out to play and make it the day I was looking forward to last time…

geetee1972
    Free Member

What do mean Whoppit? The rain MADE the event last year.

In future years, at dinner parties when people start talking about cycling and how they’ve done the Ride London event, you’ll be able to say ‘ah yes, but did you do it the time that Hurricane Bertha rolled through town?’

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Only 1/4 success rate according to the mag. Someone be smart and organise a rival sportive for the same date!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

In future years, at dinner parties when people start talking about cycling and how they’ve done the Ride London event, you’ll be able to say ‘ah yes, but did you do it the time that Hurricane Bertha rolled through town?’

Those DP’s had better HTFU then, there’s not many years left on this calendar. 👿

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Only 1/4 success rate according to the mag. Someone be smart and organise a rival sportive for the same date!

….and make sure it’s the the New Forest 😈

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m in. Got an email today

freeagent
    Free Member

how is everyone planning on getting to the start line on the day?
    I’m relatively local, but short of getting a hotel within striking distance the night befotre, I can’t see how to make it work.

Ideally i’d like to drive to the start, but there doesn’t appear to be any parking facilities – is this correct??

jam-bo

my sister dropped us off in a ‘drop-off’ zone just south of the river, rode through the blackwall tunnel and then just followed the mass of bikes through the traffic chaos.

njee20
    Free Member

To be honest, one of the least pleasant aspects of last year’s (ignoring the weather, ) was the dickheaded behaviour from some of the tour de france fantasists/ straight up dickheads. If more women mean there’s less of that, then I reckon it’s the right thing to do. Even if I’m not riding. Pfff.

Likewise, from having done the tech support virtually all of the rudest people of the day were women.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If more women mean there’s less of that, then I reckon it’s the right thing to d the view will be tremendously enhanced.

hooli

Ideally i’d like to drive to the start

Ideally we all would, but there are about 25 thousand people entered 😉

I did a cheap hotel nearby last time and cycled the 7 odd miles to the start.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Cheap hotel link, please.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bump.

Cheap hotel link, please.

hooli

Try this for a start

http://www.booking.com/landmark/gb/olympic-park1.en-gb.html

A few single rooms for £40 odd, not 5* though 😉

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Last year you could book and pre-pay for a place in a car park (they asked you to confirm your travel arrangements a month or two before the event). We ended up in an NCP near mount pleasant then had to ride with masses of others out to Stratford at silly o’clock – on a tandem, highly entertaining.
    Even more entertaining was trying to find the thing again after the event! Hadn’t taken the booking confirmation with us on the ride and couldn’t remember the address. Note to self, must make sure I know my way back or put a route in the GPS.

oomidamon

I’m not in. Did it last year and thought it was great, despite the weather. I stayed in a hotel in Shoreditch and rode to the start – it was a bit surreal riding past the clubbers going home at 5.30am. I pre-booked the Stratford Premier Inn for this year so there will be a room available there when I can be bothered to cancel.

IHN

So, I’m now in with a charity place for Shelter (the Mrs got a ballot place)

We’ve got a room at a Premier (or maybe Holiday) Inn in Docklands. Not that cheap, but has parking and is basically midway between the start and finish.

benslow
    Free Member

The rain MADE the event last year.

Quite, it was an amazing ride ESP when battling those elements.

I experienced no bad riding, or dickheads, just lots of people riding and cheering.

Missed out on a space this year and not sure I can raise the sponsorship which is a shame as I have some great memories from 2014.

Viking hotel on the Romford rd is near and has motel style rooms out back where you can park and take bike bikes into rooms easily.

jam-bo

Quite, it was an amazing ride ESP when battling those elements.

I experienced no bad riding, or dickheads, just lots of people riding and cheering.

this.

I only had one sketchy moment on the descent off newlands when someone going a lot slower than me moved across into my path. It was odd though, I spent most of my time riding on the right hand side of the road, most people seemed to have a natural aversion to it and it was much clearer…

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m looking to book accommodation for my wife and me for this.

Do we need to be there the day before to sign on?

Cant find info on their website about where we need to be and when…

Crooch
    Free Member

mrjmt – you need to collect your ride numbers and bag for kit thurs-saturday before event. you wont be able to park anywhere near so unless you are local have to be dropped off about 5 miles away and ride in (as if 100 isnt enough!!)

all info will be sent out in next month or so…
    good luck… was hoping to get in and try it in the dry this year…

mrjmt
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the info.

Wife got a place in the ballot, I’m doing it for Mind.

jam-bo

You can write a letter authorising someone to pick up your starter pack on your behalf. My sister picked mine up for me.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Quick question – does anyone know if there is an official link for a GPX of this year’s route?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What are people’s start times?

Mine is to be there between 05:15 and 05:47 for a 06:27 start 😯

IHN

I’m starting at 8:12. I think I’m in the “don’t get in the way, fatty” wave.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m get there pre-6:30ish for a 7:09 start. Early doors then!

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got to be there between 6.15 and 6.45 for a 7.21 start.
    Parking space booked at the O2, which is approx. 30 min drive from my house. looks like a 5am alarm call. ;o(

I’m dreading it to be honest – I’ve not done enough training (mostly due to working away from home without my bike) and have really suffered on a couple of rides in hot weather over the last couple of weeks.

The longest ride I’ve done this year is 65 miles/3300ft of ascent, and that was a tough day.
    I’ve done quite a few 40 mile rides, but not sure how much value they’ll add.

Going to do 50 miles on Thursday, and another similar one at the weekend, and that might be about it.

I need a strategy for the big day, but don’t know where to start.
    I’m heavy (100KG) so crap at climbing, but can tack along on the flat at a good pace – I’m thinking a strategic walk up Leith Hill might be worthwhile…

Have this horrid feeling that I might be getting a lift home on the broom wagon.

IHN

Freeagent; your training sounds much like that of me and MrsIHN (we’re both doing it), so at least you’ll have someone to chat to in the broomwagon 😳

freeagent
    Free Member

LoL – If you are starting at 8.12 you’ll have caught me by mid-morning, as will everyone else in your start wave.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sounds like my training. Been getting a couple of 40 milers a week in and did a 30 & a 50 in at the weekend, but no big runs yet and can’t see when I’m going to get them in before the day either!. Felt rubbish after the 30 on Saturday, but OK after the 50 on Sunday. Really not looking forward to the hills.

Not sure how I got such an early start, but at least it gives me longer to complete before the roadsweepers clear the way for the Pro race!

IHN

Sounds like they’re gonna need a bigger broomwagon 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 317 total)

The topic ‘2015 Prudential ride 100’ is closed to new replies.