Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2015 Pike RCT3…is this stanchion wear?
  • YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

I’ve just bought these and discovered what I think is stanchion wear. The seller says he believes this is as a result of sanding a small chip (after a nail polish repair). I knew about the repair- I couldn’t even see it in photographs but was not expecting this. It is hard to photograph though and as a result hard to see.

The seller says it’s been like that since the spring (after a repair) and has not changed at all. From my experience it looks like bushing wear and will get worse fast.

The seller is being as good as gold and between us we’ll sort something out I’m sure so there’s no problem. I’m just wondering if a partial refund is worth it (they cost me £220 posted) and if so, how much?

Failing that should I just return them for my money back?

I’m posting this just to get another opinion really- we are slightly confused with opposing opinions on what it is at the moment!

Cheers!

RickDraper
    Free Member

Looks like wear to me.

psycorp
    Free Member

^^^^^^

Ditto

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    twohats
    Free Member

I’d say the seller is telling you the truth.
    You wouldn’t get bushing wear that far up the leg and that indeed does look like someone has smoothed a scratch which in turn takes the black anodising off.
    I’ve a far worse scratch on my Pikes running from the seal to about the same place as the mark in the pic from a stone getting wedged between stanchion and firk brace and its had no effect on the fork or the sealing.

otsdr
    Free Member

The white streaks on the stanchion? Wear, not that hard to see. I think it usually appears on the fore/aft sections rather than on the inside, though.

l.e. as above, may not be from the bushings

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Thanks gents. It’s the fact the lines are clearly straight lines that can be felt with your fingernail. They are quite some ridges.

Hmm

letmetalktomark

I had something very similar with a set of Magura Thors. On mine it wAs caused by the bushes and manifested as ridges similar to what you mention, they too could be felt running a nail over them.

Once there they didn’t get any worse and the fork functioned well and I bought them knowing this.

If you have the option with the seller I would return them.

teethgrinder

Mine are like that. Not getting worse, but could probably do with a seal and foam ring change.

steveh

Definitely looks like bushing wear. on a 2015 fork sram would probably replace with new. Quite possibly no oil in them from new as is not uncommon with new rs forks.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I can confirm that the marks can be seen disappearing down into the seals so it’s not as a result of the repair. I’ve now found the repair- a few pin hole dots from a rock or something. It’s tiny and barely noticeable. The lines are my issue for sure.

I think I’ll return them. I’d want a hefty refund to cover a stanchion replacement so probably not worth it for the seller.

Cheers

letmetalktomark

In your shoes I would do the same.

I think the issue with the Thors was caused by a pitiful amount of oil in the lowers as recommended by the service manual. I doubled it up and the issue didn’t get any worse.

What’s the wall thickness likely to be on a stanchion?

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. I’m not sure on the wall thickness TBH. I know when I’ve had these lines on Fox forks they get worse and worse until there’s a patch of silver there- then the stiction starts and the fork is unrideable in my opinion.

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2015 Pike RCT3…is this stanchion wear?’ is closed to new replies.