Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 2015 Nobby Nic – 'pinch flatting' a LOT… even running tubeless. Anyone else?
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Got my fancy 2015 nobby nic and took it mud plugging up in the peaks a few weeks back. Going down a rocky bridalway… at relatively decent speed I might add, and managed to puncture the sidewall RIGHT next to the bead which made it incredible difficult to seal with stans fluid. Had to fix it at home with an inner tube puncture repair kit and extra fluid!

Other day… bounced the bike down a stone step and again, puncture that won’t seal up right next to the bead. A friend of mine had the same issue, again from rocks and looks like someone else has got one too in the FS section.

My question/rant is…. has anyone else found this with the new nics that they just don’t have the durability of the old ones? All were snakeskin and brand new! Never had any issues with my old nics and all of a sudden, holes everywhere!!

prezet
    Free Member

What pressures are you running on them?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Same with old one’s ime, fit something with more volume.

Light and tough, pick one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    poah
    Free Member

buy better tyres lol

bigblackshed

Buy tougher tyres.

On the subject of tyres a mate once said “If you’re going to climb a mountain you wouldn’t wear ballet pumps?”

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Running decent pressures in them, it wasn’t too wet when I was out so was running at least 25 if not closer to 30psi.

Unfortunately can’t get ‘bigger’ tyres in as it’s a 2011 Yeti 575 so rear tyre clearance is tight, nics pretty much give ideal clearance.

I never had any issues with the old ones, but hearing lots of problems with these new ones, wondered if anyone else had.

I don’t think the nics are ‘race light’ tyres and although pretty light, they do advertise them as an all mountain tyre… and mountains have rocks… and rocks kill them!

robj20
    Free Member

They have been faultless for me so far even with a fair few descents of ICR at speed, im running about 25psi front and 30psi rear, 2.35 front 2.25 rear and im about 190lbs.

There just like a lighter version of the hans dampf i had previously.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Good to hear a positive report at least! Gotta say I was absolutley loving the tyre in terms of grip, how they rolled etc, all was fine until pop! I might just have to squeeze in a few extra psi at the rear or run this one into the group and get the double defence one!

ahsat

I have just done 100 mile mtb holiday on my 2015 last week (having ripped the side wall of the old one) and apart from a couple of uphill traction issues, no problems at all. (Running tubless).

Stoner
    Free Member

I happily rattle around on a pair of Rocket Rons, fully rigid, and I’m 95Kg. Tubeless but never had a problem. Very light, not too big a profile.
    In fact I only change the spunk last night for the first time in over two years.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

There’s also the other reason… just sheer random bad luck!

PJM1974
    Free Member

What’s the terrain like where you ride?

jonesie
    Free Member

Ok just bought a nobby nic evo pacestar DD TL snakeskin ……..

I have done 1 dry loamy / sandy ride and it has ripped from the Centre of the carcas down to the sidewall bead.

I contacted my supplier who in turn contacted ISON the importer.
    This is there reply;
    Hi xxxxx, my colleagues are telling me that as far as we know, there are not particular problems with these tyres. The only thing is that when you ride on particularily sharp stones, this may occur. If this is a warranty issue can only be decided by Schwalbe themselves… so perhaps the best solution would be sending us the damaged tyres with the attached warranty form so that we can forward them to Schwalbe.“

So if you want to go off road best you walk the course to see if there are any nasty stones in your way…….
    Absolutely astounding!

This is the third nobby nic that has lost tread blocks /ripped sidewalls .
    I was taken in but the blurb from Schwalbe saying how the 2015 had improved blah blah but I should have known better.

So moral of the story;
    DO NOT BUY THIS TYRE UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOOSE NEARLY £50

boxelder

I suspect it’s to do with narrowish rims. Mine on a Crest compress so far, then seem to sort of fold around the rim, so the metal edge contacts the rock, nipping through the rubber near the bead.

Sonor
    Free Member

I have done 1 dry loamy / sandy ride and it has ripped from the Centre of the carcas down to the sidewall bead.

I ride on the same tyres, very often in the same conditions, and my NN’s have lasted years.

What am I doing wrong so I can be outraged?

coogan
    Free Member

Worst tyre I’ve ever used. No idea why people buy them. They are utter shit.

jonesie
    Free Member

Could possibly understand boxelder the crest issue but running them on hope Enduro’s which are wider ..

guystabler
    Free Member

Absolutely no issues with them here. Depends what type of tyre you are after really and what you are comparing them too.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A decade of riding tyres by Schwalbe & I’ve not damaged one/ripped/shredded a single one. I’ve ridden from Whistler Bike Park to BC Bike Race to Scotland via Wales & Gorrick to the Alps with a bimble through the Pyrenees….

I must just be lucky & only get the good ones….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘2015 Nobby Nic – 'pinch flatting' a LOT… even running tubeless. Anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.