Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2015 Giant Trance 27.5 owners. wot they like.
  • renton
    Free Member

Just wondering how people are getting on with their Trance 27.5.

Got one coming and quite excited really as the reviews are quite positive.

Can you tell me if they have stealth dropper routing or not ?

How do they ride ??

Ta muchly

rp16v
    Free Member

Yes they do have stealth routing running in the same bung as the gear\brakes on the downtube and around the bb join and up past the pivot.
    Took our demo out and feels well planted and seems a big demand after customers taking them out
    I have a 2009 still love it.
    Which model did u go for?

renton
    Free Member

I managed to get a used for 50miles 2015 trance 27.5 2

mikey74
    Free Member

How did you get on with the Forks rp? Mine haven’t bedded in yet so too early to tell.

deviant
    Free Member

I bought frame only and initially built it up with a 150mm Revelations, Deore M615 bakes etc and rode it on everything i usually ride with a bias to trail riding…liked it so much and felt it was so good downhill that i have dismantled it and ordered some bits to make it a little more focused on the descents…

…i now have 160mm forks on order, Zee brakes have arrived and realistically i’ll probably wait until the spring to built it back up as i’m quite enjoying the hardtail over the winter at the moment.

renton
    Free Member

I have heard about the fox forks not being up to much but I was under the impression that it was the previous models and the evo is meant to be a lot better.

Am I right in thinking that the frame can take up to a 160mm fork like the trance sx?

What are the Bottom brackets like? Are they a DIY swap or is it a shop job?

SirHC

Deviant,

How is the monarch? Currently looking at the trance frame only, as the geometry looks very good, the only question is the high leverage ratio – DB Inline will struggle and the DB Air may not fit

sv

Sir HC – Member
    Deviant,

How is the monarch? Currently looking at the trance frame only, as the geometry looks very good, the only question is the high leverage ratio – DB Inline will struggle and the DB Air may not fit

How will a DB Inline ‘struggle’?

deviant
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that the frame can take up to a 160mm fork like the trance sx?

What are the Bottom brackets like? Are they a DIY swap or is it a shop job?

Frame is designed around 140-160 forks, no difference to the frame throughout the model range from the standard 140mm Trances to the 160mm SX version.

BB is a standard Shimano Pressfit for general ease but you can fit whatever BB you prefer…i’ve heard of some people being able to push these BBs in by hand, i couldnt manage it and had the shop do it for me, i bought the BB from them so they fitted it for free…i think most LBS operate like this…some people on here have fabricated home made BB presses from steel threaded rod and some large washers, i have managed headset cups with a C-clamp but didnt fancy trying the BB on my new frame!

Deviant,

How is the monarch?

Wrong person to ask, i’ve been out of the FS game since 2013, my last full-susser had a Fox-RP23 that i thought was good but now gets slated on here…progress eh?!…it has 3 settings that all seem to work (locked, unlocked/open and a firm setting that creates a platform to pedal against)…used them on the first ride and then left it open, the DW/Maestro design doesnt seem too bad for pedal bob even with a ‘budget’ shock on there.

I was playing with hardtails (456-evo, Ragley Piglet-2 and 45650b) when the Canecreek shocks became all the rage and they sort of passed me by…i tend to run a hard rear end anyway as i like my FS to ride almost like a HT if that makes sense, cant stand wallowing around in the middle of the travel, i like both forks and shocks to ride high in their travel, to achieve this i always end up putting more air in the can than recommended and usually run the minimum of sag, barely touching 20% on previous bikes.

Before ditching the shock immediately, and i see no reason to in my opinion, you’d do far worse than spend £100 and have it fettled by a company like TFtuned (or mojo, loco, j-tech etc) and have it custom tuned for your weight, the bike/suspension design and the type of riding you do…some basic shocks dont allow this but most do these days….and you’ll end up with a far better shock than an ‘out of the box’ £500 item which will have a ‘one size fits all’ method of action that may or may not fit in with you weight, the riding you do, the bike its fitted to etc etc…they’ve worked wonders on forks i’ve sent them in the past and i’m almost itching to send a shock their way to see how it comes back but like i said earlier i’m a luddite with rear shocks and so far the standard Monarch seems fine.

HTH

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

How will a DB Inline ‘struggle’?

They don’t seem to like high leverage ratio bikes.

I’d tend to agree – there are better shocks available in this instance.

sv

They don’t seem to like high leverage ratio bikes.

I’d tend to agree – there are better shocks available in this instance.

Still not sure why, they cant be too different from Fox CTD/Monarch etc? Aren’t they more adjustable?

SirHC

Have been on the phone to TF sorting out another shock and asked what shock they’d recommend for a Trance/Reign. The inline is a twin tube damper, it does all its damping through the orifices, there isn’t a shim stack. So you are stuck with the range of the adjuster (which is quite large) and on a high leverage ratio you will have the adjusters more closed/potentially at their limit.

sv

What are the other non tuned options? The CTD better than a DB Inline on a Trance?

rp16v
    Free Member

Have had no issues with the forks a few of staff have taken the bikes out and not commented on them being bad
    I’m trying out the anthem sx next week with a 120mm version
    The bb as mentioned is a pressfit and real easy to replace.
    Not risen the canecreek personally I have a rp23 kash and the ctd seems to work well enough for my liking we rarley get asked to upgrade it from stock

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2015 Giant Trance 27.5 owners. wot they like.’ is closed to new replies.