Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 2015 giant trance 2
  • lee170
    Free Member

Seen the new trance 2 and it looks good. Has anyone demo’d one?
    Or even own one?
    Any good?
    I’m after a bike that can handle trail centres and natural trails.
    I was thinking (still am) about buying the new orange crush but maybe my money would be much better spent on a full suss.
    I like giant and have a defy road bike so have no qualms with the brand.
    Do people class giants as cheap or decent bikes?

deviant
    Free Member

They have a good rep as far as I’m aware, aren’t they the worlds largest frame manufacturer?

Anyway, I have the 2015 Trance frameset.
    It’s very light, has a stiff 140mm platform and will take a fork of between 140-160mm, the head angle varies between 66-67 depending on axle to crown height of your chosen fork.

It’s also light which gives me an unhealthy amount of pleasure as I’d never considered myself a weight weenie before but it’s spurred me on to keep it light with the rest of the build.
    The quality is great, large diameter tubing, huge welds and internal cable routing make for a pleasingly burly look.

My one complaint is the colour, frameset only option like mine only comes in grey/silver and looks very plain…still, I suppose it will hide the inevitable scratches!

Renton on here has just bought one too, I’m sure he’ll chime in later.

SirHC

I demoed both a reign and a trance amongst other bikes (Five, Nomad, Enduro). The reign was very good downhill, but was just too much for general trail riding.
    The giants are much better value than the competition, yet there are no compromises at all, quality, geometry, weight are all very good.

I’ve built up a Trance frameset, very impressed with the build quality and also how light it turned out. Internal cable routing is a doddle and the sealing gromets are very good.

kraftyone
    Free Member

not the most encouraging of reviews

Giant Trance 2

Nick

I have a 2014 Trance 2, looks to be the same really as the 2015. It’s a nice bike, goes up, goes down, have even done a bikepacking trip on it (my other bike is a Fargo btw).

The MBR review is interesting, but it wouldn’t put me off getting one if I was in the market today, in my case I think the rear shock and suspension performance is spot on, it’s the Fox Float fork that’s a bit shit (coming from Rockshox Revelations).

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got one. That review isn’t entirely accurate IMO. The steering is fine and I’ve yet to notice the rear suspension being overly soft, although the shock probably hasn’t bedded in yet. Even if it is, it isn’t due to the frame or the suspension design and will be solved by a shock tune.

Overall, my initial impressions of the bike are very good. In the long term you may want to tune or swap out the forks and/or shock , but that is personal preference.

SirHC

not the most encouraging of reviews

Giant Trance 2

I’d say the spec was very good given the £1900 price tag. Giant dropper is £130 as is excellent value for money and the bar width and stem length is personal preference.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Other reviews of the SX rated it as one of the, if not the outright best ~140mm travel bike on the market.

Maybe the spec lets that one down a bit.

cakefacesmallblock

The Trance I currently ride is ageing now, but will more than likely replace it with a 2015 one. I bought mine as a low rent Tora forked model, the frame being superbly built and I’ve only had to change bearings once and shock bush twice in about 6000 miles of off-road riding , with gloopy mud locally most winters and it’s had some much harder times on the odd uplift day at Antur and bigger rides over harsher terrain in the lakes and in the Scotland.
    A revelation fork and decent wheelset were at the heart of its upgrades and other than a wider bar / shorter stem combo it’s served me very well.
    My lbs have offered me a decent deal on a Trance 1 , but with a pike 160mm fork in place of the revelation as I would wanted 2×10 Shimano as opposed to 1×11 sram as on the sx, mostly because of our local patch being a destroyer of drivetrains in winter , and I’ m not paying for 11 speed cassettes ! And I fancy trying carbon rims.
    If you are prepared to upgrade as you go Giant frames are well made and well warranted.
    Both myself and g/f are on trances upgraded up to suit us, as money has allowed .
    Don’t forget, mag tests are what they are and despite what they may tell you. You are the one who would know what you’d prefer it to gel like, or might even be quite happy with it as is after some tweaking.
    EDIT: other minor point, just for once I’m going to have money to buy what I want bike wise. Even with this in mind I’m not likely to go ‘ boutique’ simply because I’ve been very pleased with my current Giant.

nuke

Seems a reasonable review to me…the way I read is that they didn’t like some of the components and the shock/suspension is quite linear; personally I would want frame only so components don’t matter and the shock on the frame only is a Monarch RCT3 so may not exhibit same characteristics as the Fox shock.

Trance 2 still looks good value though…just upgrade as you go and stick a volume spacer in the shock to make it more progressive

deviant
    Free Member

That review is doing what so many do at the moment, criticise minor stuff like stem length, bar width etc and manage to completely miss the point!….the frame only option has 142 x 12 back end, bars are a personal choice FFS and the frame only version comes with a Rockshox shock and gets completely different reviews.

That review may as well have just said ‘I didn’t like the Fox CTD shock’….as that was the only useful thing he wrote.

Even when Dirt criticise a bike they have the good grace to go back to it with components of their choice and reappraise the bike once done out with shock/fork of their choice, wide bars etc.
    All anybody needs to know is that is was good enough for the factory Giant Enduro team in the EWS up until this year when the new Reign came out.

renton
    Free Member

Ive got one and so far its mixed reviews from but this is maybe down to the fact that my previous bike felt very different.

I do find the rear suspension a bit wallowy in descend mode compared to my five spot but I did have a home made volume reducer in the 5 spot which made it nice and progressive.I am a proper fat bugger though at 18.5 stone so having to put quite a bit of air in it !!

Trail mode stiffens it up and climb is almost a lockout.

The kit on the Trance 27.5 2 is fantastic for the money, you even get a mrp chain guide thing!

Steering again feels very different to me but my old bike had quite a steep head angle at 69 degrees compared to the Trance at 67 degrees.

The frame is very stiff compared to my old bike, there is very little in the way of flex, it can also be turned into a 142 x 12 rear end with different drop outs.

Ive decided that it isnt the bike for me and am slightly regretting selling my old bike so this one will be going up for sale shortly!!

renton
    Free Member

Hans dampf is draggy too !!

Bregante

Ive decided that it isnt the bike for me and am slightly regretting selling my old bike

At least nobody can accuse you of rushing into it!
    😀

mikey74
    Free Member

What has it got to do with the Hans Dampf? They are aren’t even supplied with them. Anyway, tyres, like bars and stem, are personal preference and are usually the first things to get swapped out. I stuck HR IIs on mine.

To be honest, at 18.5 stone any bike is going to feel wallowy unless the shock is custom tuned, like you had your old bike. I would suggest that be your first port of call before you change the bike.

For the record, I have felt none of this “wallow” in the rear suspension. In fact I was amazed how well it climbed with the shock in the “descend position”.

deviant
    Free Member

As above, Renton before you spend/lose money changing bikes send the shock off to TFtuned, tell them what you’re looking for and the bike it’s going back on and pay the £100 or so they’ll want….if the bike still doesn’t feel right for your 18 stone then at least you tried pretty much everything.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I can only comment on having bought a Trance 1 a couple of years ago, and recall back then very favourable reviews, especially for the lower priced models as they all use the same excellent frame, and it’s the same now.

I find the build quality and design to be excellent. In my opinion it’s the best suspension design – I love the way the shock is tucked in neatly, as low as possible, which was why Giant started doing the whole ‘hockey stick’ downtube in the first place wasn’t it ?

Mud clearance is excellent too – I run 2.35/2.4 Schwalbe tyres and there’s loads of space. The whole frame is very stiff too, as well as being light.

renton
    Free Member

Yep. I’m not going to rush into selling it. Would rather cover all avenues first before doing that as I do actually like the bike.

The shock on my 5 spot wasnt custom tuned I just fitted a diy volume reducer to make it more progressive and it certainly did.

The fox ctd shock needs a proper set of reducers @£35.

I commented on the Hans dampf as that’s what’s on the front of mine.

I run 260psi in the shock.

renton
    Free Member

Right, disregard what I said about the shock being wallowy, Ive just checked the air pressure before I rode to work and although that was ok I found that the rebound dial was set to fully fast rebound. It looks like my litle lad has been playing with the bike whilst getting his out of the shed !!

Adjustisng it has made a massive improvement already although I am still going to look into custom tuning.

renton
    Free Member

What are the high rollers like Mikey??

lee170
    Free Member

I think I’ll stick with the orange crush as mixed reviews on the giant.
    Thanks for all the advice

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘2015 giant trance 2’ is closed to new replies.