• This topic has 137 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • 2015 Giant TCX SLR mutterings
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

bikebouy, seeing racks and guards on your otherwise lovely TCX would make me very sad indeed.

njee20
    Free Member

Trek’s look ok, think I’d be happy with a Crockett, though the range they bring into the UK is really poor compared to what they have in the US. Annoying.

Like the colour scheme on that Boone, we’re getting the 9 Disc next year, with Di2 and R785 hydraulic brakes, which will be good. £4k IIRC.

Jamie
    Free Member

bikebouy, seeing racks and guards on your otherwise lovely TCX would make me very sad indeed.

Instant confiscation.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gotta catch me first 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

I reckon this should snag your rack quite nicely.

atlaz
    Free Member

Pricing for the GT Grade just been released. Looks like the Carbon 105, with full hydro brakes/decent wheels etc, at £1999 seems the standout ‘bargain’.

I guess they’ve got to sweeten the deal to get people to buy that monstrosity somehow

atlaz
    Free Member

Damn you Jamie. I found the Alloy 105 with the HyRd brakes and now it doesn’t seem so ugly (well it does, but the price has made me overlook it a bit)

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m glad I didn’t wait for the 2015 and got the last 2014 about, the colours nicer and it’s otherwise the same.
    Shame I went over the bars in my first ride and hurt my back!

Jamie
    Free Member

Bikeradar had some more info on the new Diverges. No UK prices, sadly, but quite like the look of the Smartweld ally version.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/specialized-diverge-first-look-42032/

One thing I find quite nifty is the new SWAT mount on the downtube.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Why do I like that 😕

Jamie
    Free Member

Damn you Jamie. I found the Alloy 105 with the HyRd brakes and now it doesn’t seem so ugly (well it does, but the price has made me overlook it a bit)

£1k for all that lot does seem good.

Although, GT have gone and undone all their hard work by doing this to it:

….hopefully it’s just a removable decal.

boardsi
    Free Member

My LBS has a 2014 giant SLR2 in my size £799. is there a better deal out there or should I wait for the 2015 to come out…..?

Jamie
    Free Member

If you check the links on the first post you can see what the 2015 bike offers.

I would take the 2014 bike at that price.

boardsi
    Free Member

oh well, it looks like all the 2014 ML giants have now sold out again!

might go for this instead

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/all-terrain/cx-cyclocross/saxon-cross/

atlaz
    Free Member

The alloy framed grades (excluding the Alloy X and Claris) are due at the end of August, the Alloy X and Claris in October and the rest “towards the end of the year”.

househusband

Decision made; bike ordered – should be with me Wednesday.

2014 CAADX 105 10sp – 2015 only offers 11sp which I’m not fussed about as I have 10sp spares, and the 2014 was a wee bit cheaper.

This does also mean that I can stop fretting about all the new models, the minutiae of their specifications and their prices… 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

and the rest “towards the end of the year”.

That include the carbon?

If so, then harumph!

Decision made; bike ordered – should be with me Wednesday.

2014 CAADX 105 10sp – 2015 only offers 11sp which I’m not fussed about as I have 10sp spares, and the 2014 was a wee bit cheaper.

This does also mean that I can stop fretting about all the new models, the minutiae of their specifications and their prices…

Is there an echo in here? 😉

Glad you made your choice. I’m hanging in there for a bit longer. Worryingly, I think I like the alloy Diverge 😐

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm the CAADX is nice, I wonder when they’ll start dumping their 2014 stock…?

Worryingly, I think I like the alloy Diverge

😯

atlaz
    Free Member

That include the carbon?

If so, then harumph!

Yes. I was trying to convince myself that I could stretch to the carbon frame if I bought one. As I apparently can get an alloy one in a few weeks, that may win as it’s really supposed to be a bad weather bike and I can’t be arsed waiting until the end of the year.

Jamie
    Free Member

As an aside, and I just mentioned similar to HH, I wonder if Shimano will be one of the first/few to get a disc based, either hydro or cable, brake to market without it needing to be recalled at some point. Should make some be a bit cautious given this will be the first production year of the Shimano RS685.

In terms of good omens, Shimano conceding the prize of being first to market last year to SRAM, in order to give them more time to perfect the design of this years hydros, should bode well.

Yes. I was trying to convince myself that I could stretch to the carbon frame if I bought one. As I apparently can get an alloy one in a few weeks, that may win as it’s really supposed to be a bad weather bike and I can’t be arsed waiting until the end of the year.

Was looking like a ugly-off between the durge and the graded, looks like that decision has been made for me, if I go that route. As end of September at the latest.

….did you find out if you can remove the camo mohican they put on the Alloy Grade?

househusband

Hmm the CAADX is nice, I wonder when they’ll start dumping their 2014 stock…?

Cannondale don’t have, apart from one base model, any remaining 2014 stock – not in 56cm anyway! I asked them t’other day.

Jamie
    Free Member

Diverge prices.

So if one was in the market for a Spesh gravel/CX, £2k would either get you a carbon frame and HY/RDs (crux), or ally frame and full hydros (diverge).

mrblobby
    Free Member

They look a bit chalk and cheese. If you want to race cross then get the Crux. The Diverge looks a bit for pootling about on. Seriously though, go have a spin on the Crux. Definitely a bike that wants to be ridden fast everywhere, I loved it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well yes, completely different bikes. More a comment on their pricing, really.

Crux = CX race weapon
    Diverge = you’ve had your eyes poked out and fancy the odd bit of gravel off road.

mrblobby
    Free Member

you’ve had your eyes poked out

If you’re not careful with that seat post you might just end up that way.

Jamie
    Free Member

Apparently, looks aside, it’s quite sweet.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just washed my TCX, ooohhh yeah it’s blue under all that mud 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm places are starting to discount the old 2014 Crux carbon frame. Tempting. And much nicer than the new minging orange with that funky post.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm. Could get a ’15 Crux Elite Carbon Evo for £1800, as can get 10% off.

Still wondering what exactly, other than diff tyres, makes it a gravel beast, rather than a cross beast, like the regular Crux Elite Carbon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Still wondering what exactly, other than diff tyres, makes it a gravel beast, rather than a cross beast, like the regular Crux Elite Carbon.

Jamie
    Free Member

Meh. Nottingham Concept store doesn’t have any Crux stock yet to look at/try.

I asked if they had any 52cm in stock, with the possibility of trying out a 54cm as well, just to be sure the 52cm was right.

They did suggest I could come over and try out a 2014 54cm Crux for sizing, and if that didn’t fit, ordering me a 52cm 2015 on the basis of the 2014 one not fitting.

I said I would wait. As would be handy to see the bike before buying it.

D0NK

Still wondering what exactly, other than diff tyres, makes it a gravel beast, rather than a cross beast,

+1

Jamie
    Free Member

Me:

Also, is the only difference between the Evo and the regular version, the carbon post, and different tyres/saddle?

Spesh Concept Store:

The differences between the two are exactly as you said which obviously make the EVO more attractive in my opinion with the carbon COBL-GOBLR seatpost.

mrblobby
    Free Member

attractive in my opinion with the carbon COBL-GOBLR seatpost.

Attractive and that seatpost do not go together. But then I think I may have already stated that in an earlier post 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, that’s odd. Giant UK website has now listed the new TCX models, and unlike the rest of the world, it appears the TCX SLR 1 for the UK market has a completely different spec.

UK bike on the left at £1299. Helpfully, Giant have used the same picture for both bikes.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Well after much deliberation I’ve narrowed my choice down to either the 2015 TCX SLR 2 or a Cannondale Caadx 105.

But i’m really struggling between these two.

firestarter
    Free Member

Same here. I think lol.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fervouredimage, you ridden either of them? (or at least the 2014 TCX?) They are quite different to ride so could be an easy decision.

firestarter
    Free Member

My worry is they are both not hydro brakes and its not a cheap upgrade down the line when you want to ahem… replace worn components 😉

In what way do they ride differently?

Jamie
    Free Member

Just to throw some spanners in the works. Pinnacle will be releasing an Arkose 4, no pics yet, which will come with hyrdos for £1250. Also has increased clearance, lighter frames than last year and internal cabling.

The £1,250 Arkose 4 gets the new Shimano 105 mechanical groupset with the new R685 hydraulic disc brakes. This is probably our pick of the range. The bike is available in men and women’s specification, with Matt Cyan for the former and Gloss Aqua for the latter.

At £1,450 the Arkose 5 uses the new SRAM Force CX11 1×11 groupset with hydraulic disc brakes. The SRAM groupset uses a chainring with alternating fat and thin teeth and a clutch mechanism in the rear mech that together eliminate the need for a chain guide.

More info here: http://road.cc/content/news/127425-pinnacle-launch-updated-arkose-and-dolomite-2015

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘2015 Giant TCX SLR mutterings’ is closed to new replies.