Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 2015 carbon 105 road bikes?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

What are looking like good choices then?

Jamie
    Free Member

Defy Advanced 2.

…bit more info might help tho. You want discs with that? Budget? Usage?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Racing? Pootling?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, Defy really is the default option in terms of ride and value for money, I’d say.

rumple
    Free Member

genesis zero 3.0

mrblobby
    Free Member

Genesis Zero.3 if you want something racier.

(Doh! Seconds too late.)

Defy does look to be the VFM choice though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Saracen Avro is nice. Maybe not one for the purists, tho.

…but as the OP gave naff all info, I don’t know if they are one or not 8)

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

How about the Merida Scultura 4000?

slowjo
    Free Member

+1 for the Zero

wilburt
    Free Member

Those Genesis Zeros seem good value and no doubt Pauls will be flogging of TCR’s Supersix’s as usual.

I think if I was buying a new bike I could be tempted by a Tarmac though, its not great value but to my eye the frame looks well designed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, as said above, I didn’t give a lot of info. Suddenly had to go and do some work.

I’m looking at a couple of road bikes for me and the wife (that’s two total, not two each).

Use will be day rides in the Peak or similar when the trails are a bit too grotty to go mountain biking, but we’re still discussing exact use. It’s either going to be: –
    A) Our original thoughts were carbon frame (just because we’d not owned one before), hydro disc brakes and through axles. Short list are the Focus Cayo disc, Trek Domane or KTM Revelator Sky. However, bit put off the Trek by the bottom bracket. If it does go wrong and creaks or frets, you can’t just chuck a Hope in and be done with it. However, Focus and KTM don’t take guards.

Or

B) If they’re only going to get used in the dry, then discs aren’t such an issue and without discs, neither are bolt through axles. So the choice might then be carbon (because we’ve never had plastic bikes) with a full 105 groupset (including brakes). Now guards aren’t so important but tubeless compatible wheels might be nice.

Fire away.

bluebird
    Free Member

Those Giant’s don’t half look a bit front heavy. Something about the skinny seat stays and beefy head tube/fork just doesn’t balance aesthetically.

13thfloormonk

Hmm… The Cannondale Synapse 105 5 (i.e. the 11spd version) got lots of great reviews, and of course, I own one so am now going to plug it at any available opportunity.

Probably not the best value option, depends if you have some weird groundless affinity with Cannondale like I do 8)

Edit: Oh, and I immediately swapped the 11–32 gearing and medium cage mech for a short cage with 11-28, as I’d already ridden a lot of stuff on a heavier bike with 11-28.

Also considering some brighter bar tape just to liven the bike up a bit, thinking bright green…

IHN

Discs + QR = perfectly fine, BTW

Onzadog
    Free Member

My Kinesis Tripster is disc with QR and it’s not given me any bother. However, I remember my wife’s and a friend’s Specialized mountain bikes having issue with discs and QRs. Not in riding terms but in terms of being able to get a repeatable setup when removing and reinserting the wheels.

If I’m jumping to discs on road, I might as well go bolt through as well. I know it’s about as rational as deciding the bikes will be carbon but isn’t that the way lots of us pick our bikes?

Philby

For option B I would consider the Focus Cayo 7, or if you are happy buying on-line a Canyon Endurace.

For option A you can always attach Crud Roadracers, which, whilst not perfect, do a reasonable job of keeping the wet and crap off you and the bike.

plus-one

Saracen Avro looks lovely(to me) but £1800 with mechanical disc brakes 🙁

Guessing it’s £2000 or so to see hydraulic on(carbon) cx bikes ?

scotroutes

Cube Agree GTC Pro at £1,200 has to be worth a shout. They always get good reviews.

TiRed

You won’t fit mudguards to the Defy as the fork and seat brace are not drilled. Great bike otherwise and I love my non-disk version.

bland

I was going to say have a look at the new KTM, then stumbled on this which i thought was a good summary and explanation of the whole disc movement

http://www.bikesoup.com/magazine/buyers-guide-best-disc-road-bikes-2015

mrblobby
    Free Member

You won’t fit mudguards to the Defy as the fork and seat brace are not drilled. Great bike otherwise and I love my non-disk version.

Blimey that’s a bit of a shocker. I thought Giant did it’s own special set of guards for the Defy?

brassneck

You’ve got a Tripster? Just buy a spare set of pimpy wheels built on the same hubs, with 25mm quality tyres and an 11-28 cassette, just swap as required..

Thats what I’ll be doing if it ever turns up.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope bulb 5 bolt so no spare hubs for me. The tripster isn’t a bad bike as it is. I managed the bike leg of an iron man in about 5:45, just fancied something a bit “zinggier” for me and the Mrs.

scotroutes

mrblobby – Member
    Blimey that’s a bit of a shocker. I thought Giant did it’s own special set of guards for the Defy?

I think they only fit the alloy version

bland

Just put some SKS race blades on and have done with it, they keep you dry enough, and if its wet the chances are its coming from the sky so you are going to get wet in any case

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Focus Cayo 7.0

Carbon frame and forks and 11 speed 105

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘2015 carbon 105 road bikes?’ is closed to new replies.