• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,321 through 3,360 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • igm

Well I’d been getting fed up with all the comments (including a few on here) questioning whether Scotland deserved a place in the quarter finals.

I think I can safely say the answer was yes. If fate had landed ever so slightly differently we would have been worthy semi finalists.

Loosing hurts, but getting some pride and respect back in the way we played – that helps soften the loss a little. Just need to consolidate with a decent 6N and move on from there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oi! You! In the white! Get back here!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Missed 2nd half on Eurostar. Can’t believe the result as got in train on HT.

Just watching highlights now, but sounds like a proud Scottish performance. Had a great train full of Scots out of London. Great spirits despite being gutted. A real laugh. good on them

Just shown the Maitland sinnbinning – v harsh.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Scotland and Wales both fronted up and were heroic in defeat for different reasons. Scotland deserved to be in the semis – never mind the quarters.

Ireland thought they were world beaters but turns out they were just average.

France shambolic.

England aren’t even worth a mention.

scotroutes
    Lifer
    Free Member

mboy – Member – Block User
    and the final penalty… Not even questionable. Should have gone to the TMO, who would (should) have seen it came off an Aussie player last…

Can’t go to TMO for offside

mefty
    Free Member

That was a fantastic Scottish performance, but they should have won it. Great to see them playing a marauding fast paced game, back to the DNA of their game, other nations should take note especially the French.

epicyclo

wrecker – Member
    I’m all in favour of an international (summer) season

If that means no more bloody cricket, I’m in. 🙂

Great game Scotland v Oz.

Much beer was drunk in this house.
    My side won. 🙂
    And my side also lost. 🙁

onehundredthidiot

Penalty kick was for illegal play. Penalty decision to TMO if accidental off side its a free kick or scrum if deliberate penalty. He went to tmo for lots of things but not in the last two minutes.

Anyway result has a win for Australia.

The more interesting reaction seems to be jouberts post whistle sprint.

igm

Incidentally, did anyone notice the crawl by the Aussie centre for his try?

I know you’re allowed to place the ball, but pulling yourself forwards on your left arm before placing the ball with your right looked like illegal play to me – however I haven’t played in ten years they may have changed the rules.

ekul
    Free Member

I’m not defending his performance and I was absolutely gutted that Scotland lost in such circumstances but apparently Joubert ran down the tunnel because he had bottles thrown at him. If true that’s a disgrace and there’s no room for it in this sport.

theotherjonv

Incidentally, did anyone notice the crawl by the Aussie centre for his try?

Hmmm, realtime I wouldn’t have said so….. but in slowmo it looks different. The arm just stretched out but he had a little wriggle first.

From a few pages back.

Saw it again on highlights and in real time no; he just seemed to bounce as he hit the ground and then stretched. Slow mo it looks like a little crawl on his elbow. But then again, the deliberate knock on was instinct in real time and then looks far worse in slowmo. Consistency?

onehundredthidiot

The first replay certainly looked as though he had a wee wriggle.
    Joubert got a lot of things wrong on both sides and was possibly too dependent on the tmo for most of the match.

I could take a loss but we didn’t deserve the last few minutes.

After the Hogg challenge the Aussie kick is directed to the hole left by him not being there

namastebuzz
    Free Member

As Flatman pointed out in the commentary, as long as your torso doesn’t move forward again you’re ok to stretch out your arm and place the ball.

The real problem was Scotland messing up their lineouts in the closing minutes, having been pretty good all game long.

scotroutes

I thought that Aussie try looked fine. An arm stretch, nothing more.

As for the bottles throwing, that wasnt picked up by any commentators?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

They mentioned on the radio about a bottle being thrown after he had left the pitch but he didn’t spend long on it once he’d blown the whistle.

Lifer
    Free Member

onehundredthidiot – Member – Block User
    Penalty kick was for illegal play. Penalty decision to TMO if accidental off side its a free kick or scrum if deliberate penalty. He went to tmo for lots of things but not in the last two minutes.

World Rugby Laws state:
    ‘The TMO can only be used in the following circumstances:
    Determining the grounding of the ball in-goal for a try or touchdown and/or whether players were in touch or touch in goal before grounding.
    Determining whether a kick at goal has been successful.
    Confirm if an infringement has occurred in the build-up to a try or prevention of a try (infringement must be within two phases of the try or touchdown).
    Considering acts of possible foul play.’

anagallis_arvensis

Lets take a step back and consider the facts. Only TJ would have thought scotland could win prior to kick off!!

igm

Surely if Laidlaw had said, “ref I think we might have knocked that on deliberately, do you want to check?”, Joubert could have gone to the TMO.

We need to think faster.

AA – agreed. About the first time I’ve agreed with you. In fact if you’d offered me a heroic performance to come within one point after watching the other 3 QFs I’d have taken it.

hels
    Free Member

As one of the few people on this thread whose team are still in it, can I just say, thank you Scotland, thank you very very much. And bad luck ! You really didn’t deserve such a shitty exit. But well done for softening up the Aussies.

igm

Hels – I think we showed the world that if you target Foley he gets nervous – both in defence and kicking. Not quite nervous enough of course, but if he’d kicked decently the game would have been very different.

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t think it was all on Foley, the way Scotland played forced almost the whole team in to mistakes. Pretty much all the Scotland points were soft from an Aus point of view. That’s not saying Aus had a poor day but I think Scotland did very well to knock them out of their stride and pressure them in to mistakes

Kryton57

Given the last few performances of the top 3, I’d say the AB’s are odds on to keep thier title at this stage.

hels
    Free Member

France – what can I say – I was at a party with 3 French people on the room, felt pretty sorry for them by the end. I did learn a new French word though: “corbillard” as in “corbillard pour l’equipe Francaise” so every day is a school day.

IdleJon

Just shown the Maitland sinnbinning – v harsh.

That’s a yellow every day of the week. And if he hadn’t blocked the pass then Mitchell would have taken the pass with no defence in front of him. I’ve seen refs check for penalty tries in exactly that situation.

Interesting that I’ve got a quite different view of the game from a lot on here – but I wasn’t listening to the commentary so wasn’t influenced by biassed presenters.

onehundredthidiot

Lifer that’s the thing penalty for for play, if accidental then free kick or scrum. We did ourselves no favours but it was gauling to say the least. Last from me on it. Refs arm went out for advantage before the offside player touched the ball, surely no advantage scrum if deliberate foul play tmo.

gwaelod
    Free Member

surely it would only be gauling if they were playing France

🙂

aracer
    Free Member

But he’s allowed to block the pass. If it hadn’t gone forwards it would have been fine. If it went forwards accidentally, then that’s also fine (well they’d get a scrum, but no yellow). The ref judged that he knocked it forwards deliberately in order to block the pass – which implies that there was no way to block the pass without knocking it forwards and that he knew that. I’m not a Scotland supporter (I don’t have much antipathy towards Australia either, so fairly neutral), have no idea what the commentators were saying at the time, and it looked a very harsh decision to me. In real time I was expecting a scrum for the knock on, but it looked like he was trying to intercept the ball legally.

I have to admit I do see your point though, and I’m torn on it, because I can see the argument that the try was prevented by the knock on, and it’s something I’d been thinking about, but it wasn’t how it seemed as I watched it live.

DanW
    Free Member

If you go for the ball with one hand as the last man then it’ll always be called deliberate

thegreatape
    Free Member

25 years ago I thought the deliberate knock on law was stupid, and I still do. Should just be a scrum for a normal knock on. If there’s a risk of an interception then it’s a risky pass which the passing player should consider. I think it’s daft to penalise a player for attempting an interception, but if he tries and fails and knocks on then a scrum as normal is a fair outcome.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just caught up on the thread. What an epic day at Twickenham yesterday, right up there with the weekend in Marseilles for 2007 QF’s. Argentina Ireland on the big screen and then a classic to stand alongside France’s defeat of NZ in 1999

I thought Argentina had a chance but never thought for a moment they’d come out as they did. How many times have we seen a terrific fast start from Ireland put teams under pressure, the tables where turned completely. I’d have to think the hard school that the RC is has moved them onto another level, always strong upfront they now threaten with the backs. Formidable and they have another semi-final to add to 2007 and who is to say they can’t go one better. Any team would miss POC and we can wonder whether he might had steadied the ship a little sooner. Smart and unexpected (?) tactics from Argentina to move the ball wide so early, very bold.

Scotland, the Northern Hemisphere team of the tournament by some margin for that performance. I couldn’t have cheered louder or longer for Scotland than I did, I think the first and last time that will ever happen at Twickenham. The sin bin was extremely harsh, I only saw it on the screen once but it didn’t at all look worthy of a yellow card (@idle he had a very long run in, not a definite try at all). The Aussie try looked fair enough, in front of us and a simple reach forward. Then we have the fateful line out. A long throw was madness, whatever happened afterwards throwing to the back with the reserve Hooker in such a situation is a very high risk manouver. The TMO issue, we have tmo checks for offside on trys (they checked the Argie score) how can you not check a penalty with 2 mins to go in a QF. Joubert is a disgrace, I’ve no doubt we’ll get some YouTube montages in the same was as we have for the 2011 final where the refused to give France numerous penalties in the last few minutes. The guy has a track record and it’s not a good one. I very much hope we don’t see him again. @steven there are no glass bottles in the Stadium, only a few plastic ones. I’m not sure anything would have been thrown at him

The Northern hemisphere teams need to look at themselves very honestly. They where far off the pace and at a home tournament in their backyard. In the last few years (or longer in some cases) wins against the SH sides have been rare and when we come to a real tournament instead of a “friendly” we’ve been far off the pace.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

To take the deliberate knock on thing to its logical conclusion – any forward pass would be a deliberte knock on and should result in a yellow card. That would be stupid though – just like the law as it is.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think it’s daft to penalise a player for attempting an interception, but if he tries and fails and knocks on then a scrum as normal is a fair outcome.

or reduce the sanction to a free kick (i.e. free restart to the attacking side)

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure even a penalty would seem unreasonable in the way the yellow card did (given the intent, outcome etc. wasn’t very different to things which penalties are awarded for)

molgrips
    Free Member

25 years ago I thought the deliberate knock on law was stupid, and I still do. Should just be a scrum for a normal knock on.

But when the attacker is through for a clear try, it’s not fair to allow defenders to gain an advantage (ie re-organise for a scrum) by deliberately spoiling it. Or is it? Is the fact that the defender was able to get a finger to it a legitimate act of defence? It works at lineouts after all, you’re allowed to try and spoil.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The problem for me with the deliberate knock on rule is the same as the use of the word ‘wilful’ in cricket. It requires an assumption on the part of the officials as to the intent of the player. Mind reading mid game?

DanW
    Free Member

Maitland was never going to catch it therefore it’ll always be called as a professional foul (harsh wording but effectively what it is I guess), even though it’d be everyone’s instinct to go for the ball in that situation

wrecker
    Free Member

The intentional knock on rule is a great bit of double jeopardy. It ensures that defenders can’t butcher scoring chances on a whim (you better be sure you can catch it)

jambalaya
    Free Member

If we look back at Campese in the 1994 final that was a deliberate knock on. I though the one yesterday was not even close to a yellow card IMO. We have professionals to make these decisions. What sealed the game was the no TMO decision at the lineout, that’s crazy. I’ve no doubt the laws will be changed on TMO calls after the RWC. It’s been somewhat of an experiment this time and it’s been found wanting. The conversations with the TMO should not be broadcast, it only adds to the pressure.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wrecker the knock on rule as applied is a bit daft, you can catch a pass if you are behind the attacker (ie “offside”) but if you try and catch it from an onside position and fail it’s the difference between knocking it up or forwards is the difference between brilliance and a yellow card.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,321 through 3,360 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.