• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,761 through 2,800 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • tinybits
    Free Member

England were always going to win that, however Slade is such a good player. Give him a bit more time and he’ll be bloody awesome. Him JJ and Tuilagi, that’s a decent centre setup. Maybe there’s a future, but they’ll need some coaches who’ll let them!

Anyway, well done Aus, well done Wales, Can’t wait to get to Uraguay in 8 days, I reckon I’ll get myself a shirt!

DanW
    Free Member

Who knew Care was a decent SH too 😉

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Are you sure, I thought the g force impact thing was worn behind the ear?

It’s certainly what the Scotland team use theirs for.

http://statsports.com/technology/viper-pod/

wanmankylung
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zmnFzq]trollpic[/url] by WML, on Flickr

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m catching up here so only ten minutes into the England Uraguay match. Is Farrell such a bad bet as a potential 12 outside Ford? He doesn’t seem too shabby a tackler to me, and seems to have a bit more about him as a runner than simply going for contact.

duckman

Farrell’s need both to be kicked into touch. Decide on your best backs and accept they will need to play together and make mistakes while they learn the international game. Worked for us,Laidlaw,Russell,Scott,Maitland,Seymour,Hogg and Bennett,all we had and so were played,suddenly we have a good set of backs. Conrad Smith and Nonu were gash when first capped,now look at them. Why do England think they can make players better without playing them? E.G Slade.
    And by God,you need an entire back row!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Is Farrell such a bad bet as a potential 12 outside Ford?

Don’t forget who the game was against. Uruguay.

That’s U-R-U-G-U-A-Y.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Decide on your best backs and accept they will need to play together

No, no. That’s old hat.

Today it’s all about “respect”, creating a “core culture”, performing “brilliantly” during video analysis, “being the last one talking at meetings” and having one cap earned on the eve of the RWC in a warm up game. That’s what makes a back division.

Playing together – tsssssssk!

Failing that – have your dad as coach and chief selector. 😉

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, the future is youngs, ford, Slade, JJ. Farrell can be boot boy.
    No idea who the back row is. Possibly robshaw at 6, but it’s someone new at 7 and it’s not Nick Easter at 8!

anagallis_arvensis

Ford, Slade and JJ wont work. Too small.
    Farrel is a shit 12 in defence, shoots out of line and misses too often. Ford, Tuilagi and JJ could work. England need to find a 7 with some wheels if they were to play an expansive game. Even NZ and Aus play Nonu or Kuridrani in the centre with a smaller play maker like Gateux or Smith. With Englands backrow options you would be better off with Burrel and Tuilagi and keep it direct.

Any ireland france today should be good.
    Looks like Loopy Liam is out again so christ nows what backline we will have v SA. It would also appear that Cuthbert despite being awful for ages now will have to be picked

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Ford, Tuilagi and JJ could work.

It could work if Tuilagi could be coached into being a decent 12. NZ managed to turn Nonu from a one-trick-pony into one of the best inside centres ever but they had decent coaches to do so.

I seriously doubt whether Tuilagi has the mental capacity TBH. Plus he’s never fit.

tallie
    Free Member

Some great games yesterday (stand fast England Uruguay) – the Wales Australia match was the most compelling tryless match I’ve seen in a long time. It also confirmed that England were well beaten by 2 better teams.

I think all the discussion about the centres is moot unless we can sort our breakdown out – even Uruguay were slowing down our ball and beat us on turnovers; the best back line in the world can’t do anything with slow ball.

Kryton57

Awesome games from Aus and Wales yesterday, both showing why they beat England.

I watched the Uruguay game, and with the exception of Launchbury, Care and Slade there’s nothing else to talk about. It’s quite clear Slade should be in the team, JJ and Slade are a pretty compelling option at 12/13, with Watson outside. IMO that combo should be played through the 6N.

Nowell was good, alhough it’s not difficult to look good with Slade and JJ doing what they were doing.

Forwards – work to do I’m afraid, Wood added nothing to Haskell bar a penalty, Tobshaw ordinary as he has been all RWC, Easter showed 80 mins of experience against a weaker side.

Anyway, and exciting 3 week of rugby now, can’t wait for these bigger teams to be head to head, although huge congrats to all the “minnows” of world rugby all of which have obviously increased thier stock and provide this tournament with plenty of exitment and discussion.

The Winner? I’d have Aus and SA in the final, with Aus edging it. The AB’s appear to be having a shocking time at the moment.

toys19
    Free Member

Yes I looked back at my comments about last night, and I have no regrets, it was a dire lacklustre performance. Fair play to Easter and happy with JJ, Slade, Watson, Goode, Brown, Mako, and the new hooker. Nowell proved he was excellent at goalhanging, which is part of a wingers job. I dunno if he has the capacity to develop Shane like skills though. Care was as always skilful, brilliant, and a selfish prick who butchered a couple of smart opportunities by hunting for glory for himself. That’s the England of old who squandered their own abilities by being thundering **** (TJ’s trundlemuppets). The new England of the RWC2015 were not even that, they were just shit.
    With regards the pack.
    I thought Parling, LAunchbury and Kruis were all ok, dunno about world class though. We missed Lawes big time. Robshaw seemed a bit anonymous, we are probably better off without him.
    Haskell, Cole, MArler, Youngs, and probably Wood can all GTF.
    FArrel I think of like a poor mans St Johhny, he can kick (although last night he was off form) but he isn’t the greatest playmaker and is a charmless ratbag so he can’t keep his place in the nations hearts like JW can.
    Oh and I loved the well deserved cheer Brown got when he came on. The man is awesome.

Pigface
    Free Member

I have a “friend” on FB who has had a major Benny that Gatland has to go, Howleyband Mcbride are incompetent Edwards can stay but the team are a disgrace and as they couldn’t score a try against 13 🙄

You really can’t please some people.

toys19
    Free Member

Isn’t there some talk of him crossing the severn? Would he? Do we want him? seems a bit weird. He has done awesome things in Wales, but is it possible to find someone to do better in Wales than him?

anagallis_arvensis

Howley and McBryde have not moved the attack or the scrum and maul foward.

DanW
    Free Member

The AB’s appear to be having a shocking time at the moment.

No, as someone else said they are on cruise control until it matters. They have a habit of being pretty lazy until the last second when they go nuts.

Unless they come up against France then I can see them walking it easily to the final…. of course that requires Ireland to beat France by some miracle and then France to play properly from then on 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ireland don’t need a miracle to beat France. They’re more than capable of beating them. France haven’t beaten Ireland competitively since 2010 or 11…can’t remember which…though there have been a couple of draws. I don’t think the green machine will prevail today but that’s borne of 4-yearly disappointment at the RWC. So, yes, France will win today but it would be no miracle if they didn’t.

obelix
    Free Member

NZ are vulnerable, even without looking at their RWC campaign so far. Besides already losing to Aus this year, they came very close to a loss against a very understrength SA team. Then there was the Argies pushing them close too. Now Woodcock’s out. They’re still capable of some superlative performances, but something’s gotta crack and all it takes is a single game.

DanW
    Free Member

France will win today but it would be no miracle if they didn’t.

Sorry, just reread the post… what I meant to say was “of course that requires Ireland to beat France and then by some miracle France to play properly from then on”.

Today’s game should be a cracker!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah sorry, that makes sense now Dan. I’m looking forward to it…kinda. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I was quite impressed with the lack of bitterness from English fans towards Wales.. quite warming. I think Welsh fans could learn a thing or too.

Kryton57

Things is molgrips, most non English supporters profess to hate the team and their supporters, I’m never sure how much of this is real or people can’t admit what I’m about to – perhaps it stems from colonialism or our poor quality daily rags. Most English I know will support thier teams to the death, but we know when we are done, and recognise talent near our borders which should be supported as second claim – and do. Personally I’m not blind to England’s failings even if I won’t admit that when they are winning 🙂

I’d now rather Wales, Scotland or Ireland won this thing over anybody else, and particularly Wales (not forgetting Japan) efforts bring a massive amount of respect to thier team and country whilst doing do. How – if you have any honesty in your body – could you not admire that?

BruceWee

Imagine the vast majority of the sporting journalism you had access to came from France. You have to sit through endless half times dedicated to analysis of France despite the fact that France isn’t even on the pitch. Most newspapers and websites dedicate the majority of their coverage to France. You have to put up with the bias shown by commentators, both conscious and unconscious, towards France.

Do you not think that after a lifetime of that you would hate the French too?

Kryton57

But it’s not mine, or most other England supporters fault as to what gets written in <insert crappy media source here> is it?

This team hasn’t won anything of note; do you really think a man of even my limited intellect thought we were going to win the cup? No. But ill carry a whiff of belief for as long as I can, miracles occasionally happen. You be only got to be in any pub during an England / Wales game to see how this apparent arrogance and non-acknowledgement of other teams stirred by the media isn’t actually real.

We all love rugby for rugby’s sake , and long may that continue.

An aside – a great morning this morning. Jnrs been a bit tackle (well tag) shy in defence, so I targeted him with 5 tags and he gets a post-training bacon roll in the club house, else it’s home for a ham sandwich. 8 tags and 3 tries, good lad!

molgrips
    Free Member

There are a few issues that the Welsh generally have with the English team and their fans, I think (all my subjective opinion ofc):

1) The English seem to be very boorish when they win, which is annoying when 1a) you’ve lost – only natural.

2) The national press is hugely English biased, which does not help with 1a) above and is really bloody annoying. The English fans may be in the majority but that’s no excuse when you’re a national media outlet and the other nations are long term rivals.

3) The English historically behaved pretty badly towards the Welsh – in some ways this is not forgotten. It’s in the back of some people’s minds when 2) happens, or English people are so casually anti-Welsh all the time. It’s apparently okay to mercilessly take the piss out of the Welsh in some quite nasty ways, and then say ‘don’t worry, I was only joking’. Compare Anne Robinson’s comments with sexist or racist jokes in the 70s. And the BBC defended her with the same line.

4) In England Rugby is very much a posh boy sport, and in Wales it’s working class. That’s always going to cause tension.

All of those things contribute to a greater or lesser extent to anti-English rugby, depending on how bitter you are. To be honest, it’s mostly 1, 2 and 4 I reckon – and it’s mostly anti-English *rugby* rather than anti English. Most people I know have nothing at all against English people, for example English football seems to be pretty popular and people will support the English national side.

Kryton57

4) In England Rugby is very much a posh boy sport, and in Wales it’s working class. That’s always going to cause tension.

I’m sorry I don’t agree. In the seasons i played the teams and league I played in (Kent) was mostly builders, painters, and other working class folk. Same with my boys club. You view is of you reading of the Will Carlings if this world (didn’t he look a fat greasy mess last night on TV). The Welsh team has plenty of well off the pitch qualified personnel in it.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Can’t help but think that this world cup has come to life since England were eliminated.

Kryton57

No it hasn’t – removing England hasn’t upped anyone’s performance – no more than England being praenr dampened anyone else, they are all just playing themselves in or better as the oppo changes / need to qualify occurs. After that it’s pretty much natural selection that leads to all of the better teams playing against each other. England missing doesn’t change that.

What an odd thing to say.

anagallis_arvensis

I was quite impressed with the lack of bitterness from English fans towards Wales.. quite warming. I think Welsh fans could learn a thing or too.

I was quite overjoyed when England went out, but now I feel a bit like I do when some Royal dies. You dont like what they represent and dont really care beyond the human sympathy but the constant wailing and soul searching from the press makes you wish they’d stayed in the bloody cup after all. Anyway just so you know I was cheering like mad when St Johnny knocked over that drop goal.

obelix
    Free Member

I’m sorry I don’t agree. In the seasons i played the teams and league I played in (Kent) was mostly builders, painters, and other working class folk. Same with my boys club. You view is of you reading of the Will Carlings if this world (didn’t he look a fat greasy mess last night on TV). The Welsh team has plenty of well off the pitch qualified personnel in it.

I’ve found the same, coming from the southern hemisphere I’d always heard how it was just toffs here playing the sport. But after playing for a couple clubs in east London and one in south London, as well as in the Royal Navy (so a fairly broad view of things), I’d say there were just as many working class as there were middle class, and very few upper class.

Quite different in Scotland though, very few working class players. Farmers don’t count as they’re f’ing loaded!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Coming from a more Northern perspective, there aren’t many – if any – toffs in the crowd at Sale games & ive never met an upper class Newcastle supporter either.

On another note, how come McLean looks good for Italy but was so poor at Sale he was kept out of the squad by a 20yr old? McLean spent the majority of last season providing the half time entertainment!

anagallis_arvensis

I think the class difference is pretty real but its more obvious in the rugby fans than the everyday rugby players at a local club. Having said that the tweed coated loud braying **** who pushed in front of me in the queue for my boys post training bacon butty certainly made my class hate hackles rise!

anagallis_arvensis

how come McLean looks good for Italy but was so poor at Sale

because he’s playing Romania?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

McLean looked good in the 6N as well, but he was unbelievably poor in the premiership. Why I’ve no idea.

DanW
    Free Member

In England Rugby is very much a posh boy sport, and in Wales it’s working class. That’s always going to cause tension.

At senior club level it’s mostly “working class” but at school level it is generally only the posher schools that play rugby (at least that is the case in the South West) with the other playing football and nothing else. I’d imagine in Wales almost all schools have rugby as an option??? Then from schools you start to have a few select (“posh”) schools which feed regional national/ nation age group sides. It sounds similar in Scotland from other’s comments here. So I guess the point of the rambling is it is generally “posh” kids that grow up with rugby in England (and maybe these go on to be the tweed jackets annoying a_a 😀 )

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cracking atmosphere in Cardiff. Its going to be like an Irish home game I think crowd wise

loum
    Free Member

NZ

anagallis_arvensis

and maybe these go on to be the tweed jackets annoying a_a

I should have just said to anagallis junior “that man there is between you and a bacon butty”. Those under 6’s get very excited about post training carbo loading!!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,761 through 2,800 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.