• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • anagallis_arvensis

Eng, Aus, Wales would all be underdogs to ireland I reckon. Englands home adv would help them greatly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Once more I agree with AA’s post above, Ireland or wild card France have the best shot of the home nations. England / Wales / Austraila will be beaten up qualifying from the group, the winner should get the easy QF but then have a tough semi. I think like last world cups everyone will be hoping someone else can beat NZ before they have to face them ! England need a few things to go their way (ie a big slice of good routine) and home advantage to really count to make it past the semi. England’s record against RSA is pretty good at Twickenham.

Looking forward to France v Ireland in Cardiff as I think that game could determine a semi final place at least.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Well it doesn’t really look too strong on paper that England squad to me. Serious lack of caps……36 caps between the 4 centres, 37 between the 3 hookers, less than a 100 for all 4 locks, ditto all 5 of the back 3. 760 caps between the entire 31 man squad….so less than 25 caps per man.

Hard to believe that Slammin Sam is going and Burrell isn’t. Real shame for Cipriani….he couldn’t have done much more (other than not drink drive!)I’d have preferred him to Goode……Watson could have covered 15 and Cips would have been much more useful as cover in the centre and at 10. Cannot believe that Kruis is going either…..he’s just not tough enough for international second row rugby imo…..Attwood is far harder hitting.

duckman

As a carrier,I am rather surprised they didn’t take Attwood.

jambalaya
    Free Member

#carrythemhome has been plastered all over the stadium for a year or so, quite dull I have to admit

loum
    Free Member

Cheika didn’t.

We’ll all have a giggle when Gatland cuts Dacey. 😉

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s quite surprising, not in the final selection, but that England appear to be in the position that the best centres have 1 cap, 1 cap and 11 caps, the third best hooker, 1 cap, the wingers 11 caps, 8 caps and 8 caps…..
    Experience will tell, and while I don’t think there are many better, or even more experienced players who are playing better, how the hell have we built to this!
    All this ‘does the right thing in training’ is bollocks. Does the right thing to win international matches is what counts!

dantsw13

Look at England in the last World Cup, and where we have gone since then under Lancaster. This WC was always a year or 2 early for a young England team.

Whilst Armitage is one of the best England flankers, leaving out players not playing in England protects our game in the long run, and is the correct decision in the long run. Lancaster has taken his time, rebuilt team ethic from the ground up, gradually expanding England’s game plan as we go.

I like the way we play, I think we are a decent team with an outside chance. The squad is pretty much as we expected – the hardest done-by is Burrell IMHO. Cipriani wouldn’t have played anyway.

Apart from NZ, I think this WC is genuinely wide open. With the rub of the green, Ire, Aus, Fra, SA, Wal, Eng could make the final and then anything can happen.

On the other side, if Eng don’t make the QF, I still think we keep going down the same path.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep good points Dan…..we’ve definitely moved on from last WC and as I’ve said previously, this WC has just come around too soon…..that said, it’s really disappointing to be heading into this world cup with two centres with one cap a piece and 3 wingers with a handful each…my expectationsare low, and I’m just going to try and enjoy as many games aspossible-should be a good opportunity to spend a fair bit of time with my dad which will be nice.

DanW
    Free Member

The WC hasn’t come around too soon at all for England. Lancaster has woken up too late IMO.

Giving a handful of new form players half a chance right at the end of the lead up to a major tournament having stuck with a steady team of old hands up until then isn’t the way to go I don’t think, not from the WC point of view at least.

They’ve tried to shore up decent results through the years rather than bring in form players while they are in form and get them the valuable experience required. Now we are all surprised about the best players in England potentially not having enough caps 🙄 😀

Scamper
    Free Member

Might be too soon for this team (pretty sure many were saying that 2 years ago!) but that is largely the managements fault. Usually Burrell would be in a position to not have too many complaints as his form has been patchy, but to loose out to HIM?!

Kryton57

Apparently it’s all to do with he Aura and personality, says Greenwood. Let’s hope his aura is impenetrable and about 50m wide.

dantsw13

Let’s not forget our no1 centre has been Tuilagi for the last 2 years but he’s been unavailable by either injury or idiocy. Barritt has also not featured due injury.

DanW
    Free Member

Is Barritt the WC centre of England’s dreams? Solid but… ? Tuilagi has also spent a fair time out with various injuries and yet there still isn’t a settled replacement in his absence.

Scamper
    Free Member

I think Lancaster is on record as saying a wc winning team needs 43 cap average or something – what is it, 30 at best? There again on that stat Wales should walk this tournament.

Tom-B
    Free Member

24.5 per squad member average.

I reckon that Lancasters first choice 15 will be:

Marler
    Youngs
    Cole
    Lawes
    Launchbury
    Hask
    Robshaw
    Billy V
    B Youngs
    Ford
    Watson
    Joseph
    Barritt
    May
    Brown

That’s 441 in total 29.4 per man. To be honest you’d hope that the forwards would have around 440 caps between them, let alone the entire team!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Shame that burrell got sent home, however burgess was going to be in before he even touched a ball for bath. More annoyed that Cips didn’t make it TBH. Pleased that slade is in and I hope he gets a good run.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

burgess was going to be in before he even touched a ball for bath.

Yep. For his sake, I hope he does well. If not, it might ruin his potential career as a rugby player. If he doesn’t do well, the same hype-mongers who have raised him on this pedestal will whip it out from underneath his feet.

DanW
    Free Member

It’s not just hype mongers and the media circus driving it…. there has been a significant financial investment to bring him to Union don’t forget

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes, but from his club only, AFAIK. (Might be wrong, but I thought it was a Bath deal to buy him in, not involving the Blazers at the Cabbage Patch)

wrecker
    Free Member

Yep. For his sake, I hope he does well. If not, it might ruin his potential career as a rugby player. If he doesn’t do well, the same hype-mongers who have raised him on this pedestal will whip it out from underneath his feet.

Yep. Despite being unconvinced by his game at centre so far, he seems like a really nice bloke as well as a tremendous athlete. I’d be very happy if he gets a shot at 6 (where he’s actually been very good) and kills it.

Yes, but from his club only, AFAIK. (Might be wrong, but I thought it was a Bath deal to buy him in, not involving the Blazers at the Cabbage Patch)

Officially. RFU might not have chucked money in directly but they may well have made promises regarding the RWC (and IMHO, they did).
    Still feel for Burrell. He played a good 6N and fully deserves a spot. I bet he’s crushed.

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t know what the actual deal is (who does?) but it was always reported that the RFU subsidized the cost of bringing him to Union which of course upset the other clubs. Bath alone don’t really have the motivation to drop a ton of cash plus time and energy on a risky prospect who either ends up a) struggling to adapt and is an expensive, rubbish player or b) does well and ends up up missing most of the contracted time with them on international duty. Kind of makes sense the move was helped along by the RFU, much like other league players before

wrecker
    Free Member

The official line was that the RFU didn’t contribute(financially) to the deal. Bruce Craig is quite rich and Burgess was their marquee player and so out of the salary cap.

DanW
    Free Member

As I understand it, the RFU don’t pay his wages (at Bath) but contributed towards buying him out from the previous club which is supposed to be a significant amount. So they are not directly helping Bath as such, more paying the big fee to release him to Union and then anyone *cough Bath* can sign him up for club rugby

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Lancaster has taken his time, rebuilt team ethic from the ground up, gradually expanding England’s game plan as we go.

41 matches. 71 players used. 60% win record.

No 6N titles and a dismal record against the SH.

If you’re happy with that – great!

SL said that come the RWC he wanted a starting XV with 600 caps – well he’s nowhere near that. His only decent selector has been injury – otherwise Ford and JJ would never have got a look in.

Carrythemhome? What a load of bollox – unless it’s carry Lancaster and Farrell home and keep them away from the RWC.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

DanW – Member

As I understand it, the RFU don’t pay his wages (at Bath) but contributed towards buying him out from the previous club which is supposed to be a significant amount.

I think the follow on from that was that the RFU don’t have any say where Bath play him whereas if they were paying his wages (or a portion) then they could tell Bath to play him at centre.

What beggars belief is that when Bath agreed a loan deal with Toulon to bring Armitage for the season they would have paid his (considerable) wages and asked the RFU to include him in the EPS squad which would net them a £100k payment – the RFU refused.

Will Carling sums it up well:

‘I’m in awe of Sam as a rugby league player, but there is no one that I have spoken to who I respect – ex-players, coaches – who thinks he’s ready,’

‘I don’t understand what the rush is and it’s unfair on him. I feel sorry for him. If he wants to make it in union, there’s plenty of time.

‘If you watched Burgess carefully he was out of position a huge amount in defence and England can’t afford that against sides who will focus on him.

‘He hasn’t had time in the game. He doesn’t understand where the ball is coming from and you can see that in the way his feet are when he lines up.

‘The southern hemisphere boys will focus on him if he’s playing. If Matt Giteau plays against him, he’ll sucker him on for the big hit and opponents will be coming from angles he doesn’t understand.’

dantsw13

Namastebuzz – no team has a divine right to win. Compared to where we were headed under the last regime I’m extremely happy with where we are going.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

no team has a divine right to win.

No you’re right and I’m glad that the dwarf-tossing era has passed too.

However, England have the players and the resources to win things so why haven’t they?

Going into a home RWC they are only an outside bet. If the RWC was somewhere else they’d have no chance at all.

After 4 years of planning how can you give first caps to two centres in a half-baked warm up game and then parachute them into the RWC squad?

But, I’m glad someone is happier than me – because I’m not happy 😡

anagallis_arvensis

41 matches. 71 players used. 60% win record.
    No 6N titles and a dismal record against the SH.
    If you’re happy with that – great!

These sort of comments do sum up why Lancaster is so risk a averse though dont they.

Look on the bright side the saviour of the welsh scrum is a ft bloke from Exeter with no caps at all!!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Look on the bright side the saviour of the welsh scrum is a ft bloke from Exeter with no caps at all!!

Indeed but as a Welsh fan you surely have to be more satisfied that your team gets reasonably close to its potential. Especially having a few Grand Slams/6N Titles in the locker.

I’ve often thought Wales are a few players away from being a bad team and England are a few players away from being a good team.

badnewz
    Free Member

England are going to struggle. As some have pointed out above, the issue is the risk-averse nature of the England set-up, along with a lack of talent compared to the South Hemisphere sides.
    Dropping Cips and picking Burgess is simply an odd decision. You can’t switch codes overnight. Cips offered some creative spark in a side which lacks any creativity whatsoever.
    The off-the-pitch antics also indicate a lack of respect from the players to the management. This is a worrying sign.
    I agree the tournament is going to be very open. The South Hemisphere sides are still ahead of the rest although I’d take a gamble on Ireland at least reaching the semis, and potentially winning it as they have the best captain and coach.

duckman

I can’t work out what they will do with Burgess. If he is an impact sub,they will be bringing him on after 50-60 mins when players are tiring and the concentration is slipping. That is surely a mistake as the players inside and outside him will have extra work to do to look after him. Any bets on at least one try in the group stages alone where he gets dog-legged?

wrecker
    Free Member

England are going to struggle.

We’re ****ed. I think Toms got the right starting XV;

Marler
    Youngs
    Cole
    Lawes
    Launchbury
    Hask
    Robshaw
    Billy V
    B Youngs
    Ford
    Watson
    Joseph
    Barritt
    May
    Brown

dantsw13

Well, sir Ian Mcgeechan believes Burgess justifies his selection, and should start against Fiji. Writing in today’s telegraph.

I love a good set of rose tinted glasses. England have never had a glittering back division to rival the SH teams. The 2003 team was good, fit and well drilled, but not the All Blacks by a margin. Johnny Wilkinson – points machine, great tackler, but no Dan Carter. His stuttering feet made it really hard for those outside him to time a run, and his distance from hand was poor compared to his peers. Mike Tindall? A poor mans Sam Burgess!!!

renton
    Free Member

So who is going to be inline to take Lancasters job when England bomb out of the WC. ??

dantsw13

If you go into the WC ranked 5th, and don’t win it, why should you lose your job??? Let’s not start a football merry go round.

anagallis_arvensis

England are not going to bomb out Lancaster is a good coach and home adv a very good pack and some decent backs. Quit worrying.

anagallis_arvensis

Arrogant English cock. Shoild have cried in public and been a complete moaner like Adam Jones.

wrecker
    Free Member

I thought Mallinder should have got it in the first place. Baxter has to be in with a shot too.
    They won’t jettison bomber though, he’s just signed another contract. He needs a new backs/attack coach (cough greenwood cough). Let Farrell snr go back to sarries.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quit worrying.

This. I sincerely believe England will have a better RWC than the rest of the home nations (France included).

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.