• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,361 through 5,400 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • DanW
    Free Member

Agreed, Peel was a great *proper* 9

My instinct with comments like Gatland suggesting injury subs only was to wholeheartedly agree… but thinking about it more it just makes it more likely that the SH teams would put a cricket score on us!

The SH teams don’t struggle to score tries and the Rugby Championship/ Super 15 18/ etc produces some very exciting rugby. When I think about it more, I don’t see why the rules should be changed just because the NH is stuck in a stodgy patch of boring rugby.

In 2011 I felt Wales had a realistic shot at winning the RWC. Maybe that’s one eyed but they were playing some great rugby. Sure a lot of the tries below had some ropey tackling from smaller Nations but you also have North on form running strong, decent lines at speed, 1/2p with blistering pace, runners committing the tackler, offloading, JD2’s acceleration over 10m making space, Priestland playing flat and timing passes to perfection and even Gethin throwing some dummies and kicking ahead for a try 🙂

It is possible, but it requires selection of form players, occasional risk and confidence. Look at Roberts playing in his early days at Cardiff, 1/2p’s blistering breaks as he broke on to the scene, JD2 cutting up defences at the Scarlets, North’s form in the early big games etc… these are the same players in the current squad… perhaps it is inevitable that the better international players eventually lose form or their initial impact (2011 was 5 years ago after all) and the smaller talent pool works against Wales but I wonder if they have to take some chances on some of the emerging guys despite the young avergae age in the squad. In fairness the coaching setup seem to have done well with the likes of Baldwin (great RWC) and Jarvis (top carrries and offloads in the last match!) in the forwards but there isn’t the same sort of development going on in the backs IMO. I also agree with you a_a about the backs doing a lot of the forwards roles in open play leaving no space for the footballers in the current setup. I don’t know what the answer is but I’m not sure I fancy rule changes to make an exciting 6N but lead to an even greater humping when we meet the SH sides.

[video]https://youtu.be/jzt9A5uuMWs[/video]

mefty
    Free Member

I would rather watch the 6 nations than the Rugby Championship.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I would rather watch the 6 nations than the Rugby Championship.

And you still expect to be taken seriously by the rugby gods? How dare you? 😛

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    namastebuzz
    Free Member

I would rather watch the 6 nations than the Rugby Championship

So would I but that’s because I’m English, living in Scotland with a few Welsh and Irish friends and I was brought up in Edinburgh going to Murrayfield for every match.

For a neutral – the RC wins hands down. The rugby is better.

IdleJon

And half of the RC games are on at dawn….

DanW
    Free Member

In other recent news…. Brazil beat the USA. The SH dominance continues

[video]https://youtu.be/neLlBvN_D8k[/video]

mefty
    Free Member

The rugby is better.

It’s different – not sure it is better for the old fashioned spectator.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

not sure it is better for the old fashioned spectator.

IF you mean someone who doesn’t want to be entertained and is happy to watch two feckless sides slugging it out – then you’re probably right. 😉

The RC has the top four sides from the RWC and they all play a more attacking brand of rugby than the 6N sides currently do. You can admire turgid rugby if it’s successful but not if it isn’t.

While the 6N is a magnificent tournament in its own right, it’s made by the rivalries, the locations and the fans rather than the quality of the rugby.

Even the fanatstic “super saturday” of last season only came about because of the need to chase points difference and the fact that the three best sides were playing the three weakest (apologies to the Jocks). We wouldn’t have had rugby like that if the winner of any of the games had been in doubt.

wrecker
    Free Member

Time for edit nb. Please edit, duckers will go batshit if you don’t.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Please edit, duckers will go batshit if you don’t.

Oh dear – too late! 😆

duckman

You don’t need to edit, as was previously remarked on the thread STW had on it, people who refer to other people by outdated and mildly racist terms such as “Micks” and “Paddys” or “Jocks” (and this threads favourite, “Sweaties” tend to say so much more about themselves than any eloquent reply. It was also noted on that thread that the person using the terms then had some ground to make up in any subsequent conversation to prove they weren’t really an a-hole. It isn’t the first time on the rugby thread this has reared its head. Aimed at the Scottish, Irish and Welsh every year…Seems to always come from the same teams supporters as well.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

You forgot about the Taffs!

Anyway, no offence meant – apologies to all our noble Scottish contributors.

Besides, I’ve been called a F.E.B. so often I take it as a term of endearment. 😉

IdleJon

Just going back to the turgid rugby issue for a second..

The refs are allowing pretty blatant sealing off at rucks this season. The best teams will have 3 or 4 players immediately securing their attacking ball. Of course, this has a couple of immediate effects – the defence don’t bother contesting because they are likely to be penalised so instead spread out in defence; the attack now takes longer because there simply is no point running quick ball into an organised defence. If the refs stopped every single team cheating at the ruck then the speed of recycling would quicken and defences might open. It might also allow more interesting players like Tipuric back into the game. Simply make playets support their own body weight or penalise them.

Again with the scrums – yes, they are complicated but often the ref doesn’t help himself. I saw a team penalised for collapsing the scrum (Pro12 maybe?) a couple of weeks ago. The reason they collapsed was that the dominant team’s 6 was boring in on the ‘collapsing’ 3. None of the officials saw fit to notice this. Or the ref who was setting the scrum really slowly and gave a free kick for an early engage. As the commentator pointed out – the teams themselves had achieved exactly what he was aiming for, a stable scrum, but then the ref had to slow the game a bit more.

The existing rules cover everything they need to. There really is no need to constantly amend, reinforce or whatever. Just get the refs to apply the rules properly and perhaps we can enjoy some proper rugby.

Sorry for the long post!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just going back to the turgid rugby issue for a second..

😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

I agree that the quality of the 6N has been pretty pure – more so when watching the games where you are neutral. I also do think the time of year doesn’t help – the AP tends to be far more exciting in the early and late months of the season on the harder pitches.

One thing that is noticeable about NH rugby is that the basics are lacking somewhat – the quality of passing, catching, using space etc are poor. A prime example of poor passing is Youngs flinging the ball at people’s heads or feet. The English are particularly bad at passing the ball to stationary players rather than to those running at pace. There is a massive emphasis on weights too – TJ Ione remarked in an interview that he was surprised at the time spent on weights when he moved to the Sharks. This is evident when watching how happy the SH forwards are with ball in hand – I remember seeing Attwood ending up in space with a look of terror on his face! The backs in the SH seem largely interchangeable too – Beale seems to play pretty well in most positions as do others. Things are much more rigid in the NH, with players concentrating on a single position.

Hopefully things will spark into life over the next few games – although I still believe that Wales will beat England next weekend. If by some miracle we do win it, I’ll look forward to hearing about how it was a poor championship and therefore the win can be derided compared to all but one since 2003!

IdleJon

I’m going to harp on this a bit more because I’m in the fifth day of food poisoning and am intensely bored. I’ve just watched the Blues v Ulster game. Ulster were chasing the game by a few points with about 3 minutes to go. They tackled a Blues player and started driving over him. Tackled player lying on the pitch had placed ball on the wrong side of him so tried picking it up and moving it to the correct side, pushing it forward in the process. The ref sees it, gives a scrum advantage, Ulster drive over, secure ball, kick it upfield, advantage over. The Blues scored from the return play, taking both the win and the losing bonus point away from Ulster.

So, how incompetent does a ref have to be not to understand one of the most basic rules of rugby? Players on the ground cannot play the ball. It should have been a penalty to Ulster, not a scrum.

As I say, utterly basic stuff. So is the ref really that crap at his job? (I’d be sacked if I made as many mistakes in a shift as an elite referee!) Is he biased? Is there an agenda?

Genuine questions because I’m dumfounded by the terrible standard of refereeing at the top level.

DaRC_L

If the refs stopped every single team cheating at the ruck

😯 hasn’t that been the perennial hunting ground of flankers since the start of Rugby – dancing along the thin line at the breakdown?

Can someone explain to me what this turgid rugby is please – I thought it was when the weather was interesting (aka dreek, sleeting, ‘proper’).
    As to watching teams I have little interest in (or SH rugby) it’s a bit like a w@*k isn’t it.
    Sort of good for your health but not as empassioned and satisfying as a seeing to6N or a Premier/Pro12 match?

wrecker
    Free Member

With what passes for an defensive threat at the ball these days, teams have little choice but to seal off. Defenders are just clamping onto attackers arm, leg, body, whatever and getting pens for it. they are never supporting their weight either. Goodes recent success is a good example and its kvesic ever does although he’s not the only one. It’s a complete shambles.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

As to watching teams I have little interest in (or SH rugby) it’s a bit like a w@*k isn’t it.
    Sort of good for your health but not as empassioned and satisfying as a seeing to6N or a Premier/Pro12 match?

Whilst it’s an excellent analogy my point is that SOMEONE should be watching the SH rugby – namely coaches of NH teams.

It’s all very well winning a forward battle 9-3 on a wet night at Welford road but the “win at all costs” mentality in the AP and Top14 is carried over into the 6N.

A blind man watching the RWC could see that the SH sides were way ahead of the NH because they played more dynamic rugby and duly filled the top 4 places. Most of those players play in Super Rugby so that’s where to start looking.

Interesting piece comparing Super Rugby to the 6N:

stuff.co.nz

wrecker
    Free Member

Why? You cannot play rugby like they do in the S15 on a wet night at welford rd. Nobody can. Summer league please.
    Super rugby is absolutely and complete incomparable with the 6N. They are so different in almost every way, it takes a special kind of numbskull to even attempt.
    Aren’t you supposed to be on the naughty step? 😉

DaRC_L

So I would suggest the only difference in the stats is around kicking game. Which if done tactically well I find exciting (particularly in poor weather) and sets up some interesting battles (particularly when Ireland destroyed England last year with their high kicks) and set-pieces.
    6N SR
    Metres run 699.00 858.89
    Kicks 63.78 38.11
    Passes 279.33 273.44
    Runs 232.78 214.78
    Clean breaks 10.22 16.89
    Offloads 11.11 20.67
    Tackles made 252.89 211.56

I take the point that the NH needs to up their ball handling skills and forward attacking vision. I think they also need to get old school in their set pieces around line outs and scrummaging.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We all have sex-wees when we see an offload on a tackle before a ruck forms. I’d like to see more of this and less bish bash bosh. And less of those lovely 5-pass/dummy-run/7-player moves that Ireland do without any yardage gain…even though they look pretty.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It wasn’t that long ago that both Irish and French backs came on the ball at speed from deep in wonderful flowing moves. So much better watch that bish, bash, bosh

As a Pom (ouch) watching English receivers taking the ball almost stationary has always been depressing in contrast. And then the bloody rolling bore, bring back collapsing to stop the blatant obstruction..

wrecker
    Free Member

Another thing; sort the ****ing rush defense out! They are all offside all the time and it’s starving the game of space.

DanW
    Free Member

The refs are allowing pretty blatant sealing off at rucks this season. The best teams will have 3 or 4 players immediately securing their attacking ball.

I think this is an attempt to allow faster, more flowing, attacking rugby rather than ping every marginal technical infringement. Watch the SH sides and they seal off to secure quick ball and generally play a higher tempo game whereas we seem to kinda seal off, have a bit of a tussle to make absolutely certain of secure ball, look around a bit and then amble in to the next predictable bosh. The rules are the same but the approaches are different. Granted weather doesn’t help but the best teams play deep in the opponents half (good kicking game) where you can mount pressure both in attack and defence and be a little more ambitious in attack (unless playing Scotland and they’ll intercept 5.67* tries on average per game from their own half 🙂

*possibly an underestimate

namastebuzz
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Why? You cannot play rugby like they do in the S15 on a wet night at welford rd. Nobody can. Summer league please.
    Super rugby is absolutely and complete incomparable with the 6N. They are so different in almost every way, it takes a special kind of numbskull to even attempt.
    Aren’t you supposed to be on the naughty step?

I agree but it’s not just the pitches and the weather is it? They do have rain in NZ – lots of it. Surely it’s the mindset? The Kiwis have such superb basic skills that anything seems possible to them whereas in the NH we lack so many basic skills that most things seem impossible.

(I’ll go back to the naughty step now. 😥 )

anagallis_arvensis

To understand the difference between NH rugby and NZ compare and contrast Jerome Kaino with Lydiate or Robshaw.

mindmap3
    Free Member

between NH rugby and NZ compare and contrast Jerome Kaino with Lydiate or Robshaw.

Or Coles to any of the 6N hookers….

namastebuzz
    Free Member

The only 6N side that’s been able to match the SH in the professional era was England in 2002-2003.

The only 6N side that can match them in the forseeable future is also England – if they can combine massive power up front with even a touch of guile out wide then it’s possible.

The romantic ideal that “anything could happen when you play France” seems to have been replaced by “they’re totally sh*t”. That leaves the “White Auks” as the only NH team NZ are truly wary of – if the sleeping giant ever awakens enough to reach its potential.

anagallis_arvensis

The only 6N side that can match them in the forseeable future is also England

How have you arrived at this conclusion?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Head to head records. @aa you yourself say Wales cannot beat Australia and they are consistently the easiest sh side to beat (excluding Argentina). Ditto Ireland. France have proven capable in the past but are very far below the right level now.

England didn’t match the SH in 2002-2003 we where the best side in the world and won the rwc as favourites.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ditto Ireland.

Iteland have beaten Australia plenty of times. And South Africa.

Never beaten NZ…agonisingly close a few times but there you go.

Get your facts straight Jamba. (I realise this is a lot to ask.)

anagallis_arvensis

Head to head records.

But Wales regularly beat England. I think you should focus on a few years of Grand Slams before you aim for world domination!

loum
    Free Member

compare and contrast Jerome Kaino with Lydiate or Robshaw.

Kaino was the best player in the best side in the world for two consecutive world cup victories. No surprise if others come up a little short…

But, Lydiate has certain strengths and skills that make him exceptional at what he does.
    It didn’t work out for him in France where they thought they were getting something different to what he is.
    But, it does work at international level where the balance of the team allows him to flourish as probably the best defensive 6, in what is possibly the best defensive back row.
    IMO, It makes for a really interesting match next week. Ireland didn’t cope with BillyV – Wales could do.

anagallis_arvensis

The difference was highlighted by the France game. Lydiate had to drawca man and pass to create an overlap but he just paniced and lobbed over Davies head. Any all black forward would have done better..and i loves Lydiate

loum
    Free Member

TBH, I’ve seen Jonathan Davies do similar and just fling the ball out of touch.
    Tipuric passes well.
    But that’s not gonna be no1 priority in the beating England gameplan.
    Horses for courses…

anagallis_arvensis

But that’s not gonna be no1 priority in the beating England gameplan.

True enough but were discussing beating nz

loum
    Free Member

That’s quite a jump.
    The gap between NZ and anyone else is bigger than the gap between NH and other SH.
    But it’s a good year to try. They’ll be building to 2019 now so if there’s ever a summer tour to try and go on as a fan…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

It’s a fair question.

Since England won the RWC it’s probably fair to say that Wales and Ireland have been the best 6N teams. In the last 10-12 years Wales have won Grand Slams/titles and Ireland have won their Grand Slam and titles too. In that period England have a solitary title, nothwithstanding that they’ve actually won more 6N games (since its inception) than anyone else.

It’s also fair to say that Wal/Ire have certainly punched either at or above their weight. They have maximised their resources and done pretty well. England have certainly punched below their weight for most of that period.

However, both Wales and Ireland have miserable records against the big 3 SH sides. Albeit Ireland have gone 4-4 against SA and 3-5-1 against Aus they’re 0-11 against the ABs!. Factor in their terrible RWC performances too.

In 2001-03 England beat the SH teams nine times in a row under SCW (Gawd bless ‘im). That wasn’t just because they had great players – it was because they had good direction, planning, coaching, leadership and selection.

Recent England sides have had none of that. If England can maximise their huge resources they can compete with the SH.

Good breakdown of NH v SH at ESPN even if it’s 18 months old.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Just for the record:

Post RWC 2003 Wales/Ireland vs Aus/SA/NZ

Won 10 Lost 58 Drawn 2

Wales: Won 3 Lost 38 Drawn 1

Ireland Won 7 Lost 20 Drawn 1

Ireland haven’t actually done too badly with 4-4 against SA and 3-5-1 against Australia but it’s still a poor return when you consider how Ireland have had a pretty decent side and both SA/Aus had periods when they were eminently beatable..

Viewing 40 posts - 5,361 through 5,400 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.