• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,281 through 5,320 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • anagallis_arvensis

England were very lucky but did beat a very very understrength ireland at home. You must be proud.

Wrecker happy to take the charity bet but I’m not sure I expect wales to do well. Too many players short of form and match fitness. Loopy Liam, North, Jiffy Junior, Lydiate, Warburton etc and Biggar looks like what he is a player playing on one leg

jambalaya
    Free Member

21-10 what you where robbed dd ? We should have won by far more

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And there I was thinking you couldn’t possibly sound more ridiculous. But you managed it. Well done!

EDIT: If you need the stupidity of your first statement explained, I’m happy to do so. I reckon you know why already though. Or maybe you don’t…it wouldn’t be a surprise.

wrecker
    Free Member

England were very lucky but did beat a very very understrength ireland at home.

I keep reading this, but the reality is that this isn’t the england Jones wants, and could easily be described as understrength. Manu, Slade and Dave Ewers all injured. Jones only been in post for 3 games and unable to make many changes due to RFU elite squad rules.
    I am not buying that Schmidt was/is any more disadvantaged than Jones.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Indeed, you should have; but you didn’t. I think I’ll join in with the little wager from up there.
    If england win I’ll put a tenner in a charity of Wrecker’s choice.
    A twenty point difference, on an england victory, and I’ll up it to twenty.

What are the odds on an english red card? 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have we done the Sam Davies disallowed try from the weekend, by the way?

If that was held, my cock’s a kipper.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’d be quite content to see Brown, and indeed Farrell, get thoroughly Blanco’d by Warburton and his mates, during the course of an England win. Something for everyone in that scenario I think.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I am not buying that Schmidt was/is any more disadvantaged than Jones.

To be fair to Ireland, they’re missing a lot of key players…SOB, Bowe, Henderson, O’Mahony, Healy (who came on but still doesn’t look 100%), Henry, Luke Fitz – The two Os there being key to Ireland’s weakness in defence so far this campaign, and our line-out looks a bit shagged – no excuse, you have to play with the squad you have and Ireland did well to stay in touch up till the last ten and it could have been 21-15(7) on 73 mins if VDF’s try had been given (again I’m not whinging about it…there was no clear angle no matter how much anybody thought it was or wasn’t grounded). McCloskey and Van der Flier look good for the future though. So, as much as I didn’t want to see them lose, it was better than I expected before kick-off.

I don’t think England are missing those players as much as Ireland are missing theirs – and have much better strength in depth than Ireland at the moment.

If Jones had had that 23 for longer, I reckon they’d have given Ireland a 20-30 point tanking – they missed one or two gilt edged chances when Ireland just had forwards in the line.

I realise it wasn’t wrecker who said it, but a statement like “A so-so England were too good for Ireland” is just wilful stupidity or spouting bollocks for a reaction…or perhaps in jamba’s case, it’s both, I dunno.

wrecker
    Free Member

England at the moment are in a huge state of flux, whilst they might not be missing as many layers as Ireland, but the fact that the coach has only known them for a few weeks is a pretty big deal.
    For me, this team is largely placeholding. Come the aus tour, when we see underhill, Hughes, slade, manu, ewers, and players like brookes and george mature, only then will we see what england will be moving forward.
    Great that EJ has been able to bring itoge and clifford in, but it’s only the start.

Oh and on Brown, can he be assured of getting his quins shirt back? That Chisholm bloke has been very impressive indeed.

anagallis_arvensis

England at the moment are in a huge state of flux,

To be honest Jones has done a very good job of not changing too much too soon. Wales beat them in the world cup due to a good slice of luck and having the better coach. Wont happen this time. Two evenly matched teams but England have home advantage. I would say its a 70:30 type of game in Englands favour. Mind you if we can stop Vunipola and get Roberts and Davies running at Farrel and Joseph off quick ball it could be close.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wales are too experienced, too slick and too canny.
    Farrell and JJ are the least of our worries, get roberts, davies or north running at Ford 5 times, you have 5 tries.
    The only hope england have is to smash it up front, but even that is a bit of a stretch.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Discipline could be a deciding factor especially since our back row is weaker. Cant afford to see the Biggar shuffle too much. It hurt us before.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Tuilagi and Ewers return to the England squad for training this week.

Maybe too soon for Manu to play against Wales but you never know….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I also think Wales will deal with Billy V much better than Ireland did. Who, let’s face it, didn’t deal with him at all. 🙂

Kryton57

I would say its a 70:30 type of game in Englands favour.

As usual I don’t agree with you :lol:, I think its much closer, more like 55/45, and if Wales go ahead on the score board, I think it goes more in their favour as England don’t currently have the confidence to “know” they can pull it back.

deadlydarcy – Member
    I also think Wales will deal with Billy V much better than Ireland did. Who, let’s face it, didn’t deal with him at all.

I’ve only one thing to say to you in reply; what er, happens if I neglected to oil the floor you laid in the last two years? 😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nothing. Unless you’ve wrecked it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Early days, but I agree that EJ is subtly managing a transition phase pretty well. Gradually mixing things up but not abandoning experience completely.

Where does 70:30 come from – Wales are a better team as we are often reminded and they are going to muller our backs with ease. We have a poor 15 too – backs off confrontation unless surrounded by his mates, so imagine how bad he will be under a high ball.

Very close – as before, penalty count will be key.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Sam Davies non-try.

Thoughts?
    https://amp.twimg.com/v/39827627-1289-4381-ad7c-73913b4c5f15

Was ruled out as he was apparently held in the tackle.

anagallis_arvensis

Wales are a better team as we are often reminded

Funny, that was not what was being said here just before the world cup. Who is doing this reminding? One lucky win in a close game that was well and truely blown by the england captain and suddenly wales are better. We got humped at twickenham before that and at home. You Englanders are just going too far out of your way to not be too cocky. Havent checked the odds but teckon the bookies will be making England clear favourites.

anagallis_arvensis

Remind me again, who does the Clancy Clown work for? Its a joke league.

DanW
    Free Member

All this talk of a coach/ team in transition neglects the (alleged) fact the real coach is still there watching over his boy 😆

England are massive favourites IMO. As a_a says, last time around Wales got lucky with a dodgy selection policy and some bad captaincy. That kind of lightening doesn’t strike twice unless EJ picks a front row of Care, Brown and Ford and Robshaw leads the team again.

England have a new head coach but most of the structure stays the same with a few key changes that have all proved to be for the better so far. That England side isn’t exactly inexperienced which is the only aspect Wales have any slight advantage in and the gap is closing.

Aside from experience, Wales offer very little besides a solid defense. England made very easy yards against Ireland and as long as the game is in Wales’s half Farrell will get plenty of opportunities to do his funny hand signal.

Realistically I think Wales are very unlikely to win but I wouldn’t be unhappy to be wrong

wrecker
    Free Member

Havent checked the odds but teckon the bookies will be making England clear favourites.

I bet they won’t! I’d be amazed if any stuck their necks out.

anagallis_arvensis
    wrecker
    Free Member

does 1/2 mean bet 1 win 2? I don’t really know betting.

anagallis_arvensis

No bet £2 win £1. ( you do get your stake back though) Otherwise known as odds on favourites Wales odds against outsiders bet 4 win 7

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah cheers. The welsh are worth a few quid there I reckon. Captsasquatch should be ploughing his money into that!

Kryton57

You Englanders are just going too far out of your way to not be too cocky

We really cant win can we…

igm

Nope. Thems the rules.

jambalaya
    Free Member

DD you were well beaten and the 6N table doesn’t lie. Biggest critism of England is we didn’t score 35+ points.

Whilst we have home advantage those odds look too optimistic from an England perspective.

anagallis_arvensis

DD you were well beaten and the 6N table doesn’t lie

The ref did make a massive error at a crucial time in not awarding the irish flankers try. England were well on top for much of the game but failed to putvireland out of the game.

anagallis_arvensis

Whilst we have home advantage those odds look too optimistic from an England perspective.

Yeah those bookies know **** all, all of them.

igm

It’ll be heavily swayed by the money being bet though.

anagallis_arvensis

Yes, whats your point?

loum
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

But if they wanted to take more money on England they would improve the odds, its not like England are always favourites against Wales because its a bigger country.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

England odds are always short of what they would be based on predicted outcomes just to cover the bookies backs against the sheer volume of all the “patriotic” betting.

Is this phenomena unique to england?

jambalaya
    Free Member

As I’ve posted before home advantage is usually a big factor, this time round I’m not sure its enough. Wales have stuttered so far but are very capable of a big performance and imo they’ll be much stronger than against France? The game is perfectly set up. I also said the 6N after a RWC is somehwat meaningless, I don’t really care how we do results wise its more about rebuilding and establishing a style which can take us to 2019. So I’m not talking England up/down or sideways.

loum
    Free Member

Edited above, post removed.
    Spambot turned up last time odds were discussed here.
    No point ever arguing over them anyway, if you think they’re wrong there’s an obvious option.

Pigface
    Free Member

So you wont be cockahoop if you win the grandslam???? Jambalyafib 😆

anagallis_arvensis

nd imo they’ll be much stronger than against France?

why Wales have showed nothing more than good defence for years, cant see our game suddenly moving on. Unless we lose against england.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,281 through 5,320 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.