• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,161 through 5,200 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • anagallis_arvensis

And what do Wales do if they’re local born and bred 8 is injured?

I suspect we’d see Warburton at 8, Tipuric to 7.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nonsense,the Times gave him 7/10 for the purpose and intent in his game. Young’s got the same and had a good game and played with “boldness”

😆

anagallis_arvensis

Must have done by the same idiot who gaves Davies seren y gem..oh hang on that was jiffy.

Turn overs thing seems different this year. Seem to need to actually get the ball. Gethin had at least 3 really good long stabs at the ball v france and got nothing when he came on. Warburton hasnt made a turnover in all three games and whilst he is still to hit top form he doesnt seem to be trying for them that much.

IdleJon

Oh my – what a bitter piece of writing!! He must hate England even more than Stephen Jones.

Let’s be honest, it would take many such articles to balance the bias inflicted on the whole nation in the form of John Inverdale. At least that article is in the Irish Independent, not a national broadcaster.

“Welcome to Scotland on this warm, spring day, where they host Ireland. So, Jim, how will the English back row perform tomorrow.” 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wales England will be a great match, all to play for. With home advantage I would make England slight favourites but I imagine Wales will produce a much better performance than they did against France.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Let’s not forget England played almost 20 minutes of the 2nd half with only 14 men and still outscored Ireland 15-7. Had we taken advantage of being camped in the Irish 22 for much of the first half it could have been a rout.

What’s plan B if Vunipola gets injured? Well the spectre of Nathan Hughes looms large on the horizon so if Big Billy can keep it going ’til after the Australian Tour then we should be OK.

OR – for the benefit of Pigface – when the Tongan England forward gets injured we’ll bring in the Fijian England forward. 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Let’s not forget England played almost 20 minutes of the 2nd half with only 14 men and still outscored Ireland 15-7. Had we taken advantage of being camped in the Irish 22 for much of the first half it could have been a rout.

How would England have fared with these 14 brave men against a full strength England side and how impressive would the score have looked if Ireland were given the try that was disallowed?
    I wasn’t at all impressed by England except on one or two ocassions when they ran wide. Far too much sloppy (cheating) play and lack of discipline.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I wasn’t at all impressed by England

I wasn’t that impressed either but, in stark contrast to the previous coaching regime, at least there’s a clear sense of the direction that England are taking.

A stable gameplan will allow new/returning players to slot in more easily.

anagallis_arvensis

At least that article is in the Irish Independent, not a national broadcaster.

That a great line, good work.

dantsw13

Just settling on the sofa to rewatchbthe England match, having read all the opinions here 😈

namastebuzz
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member

Just settling on the sofa to rewatchbthe England match, having read all the opinions here

You might get more enjoyment watching Wasps v Quins……

mattyfez

Yeh Wales England will be a pivotal match.. Playing at Twickenham, but the Welsh managed a cheeky win there in the world cup so it’s set to be very interesting.

I bet a tenner on Wales to win the 6 nations a few months back, so this match will be the decider I think!

anagallis_arvensis

Two big games england, wales at home and France away. I half hope Wale lose, might mean we try to improve our game.

Kryton57

How would England have fared with these 14 brave men against a full strength England side and how impressive would the score have looked

I think England would have won comfortably.

dantsw13

I’ve watched the game again, with particular interest on some of the foul play. The Brown incident in particular. He places his foot past Connor Murray and flicks the ball with his foot. The Irish flanker then drives him back, and it is as the Ireland player drives him that his foot goes backwards, catching Murrays head. So when he was in full control of himself, he carefully placed his foot past Murrays head, and was only ever playing the ball.
    Poite & the TMO both looked at the replays and assessed no foul play.

wrecker
    Free Member

How would England have fared with these 14 brave men against a full strength England side and how impressive would the score have looked

Who gives a shit? There are many permutations of what if, none of them relevant.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Who gives a shit? There are many permutations of what if, none of them relevant.

namastebuzz does, as this was in response to his post on the what ifs, but thanks for your reply anyway.

wrecker
    Free Member

Sorry to be blunt, capt. There is always a “what if” or a “yeah but” when england win. Always. It just doesn’t matter. We all have injuries, but you can only piss with the cock you’ve got.

Oh and wasps/quins is a hell of a game!

mindmap3
    Free Member

still think the championship is Wales to loose
    What an odd thing to say given England ate the only unbeaten team and Wales at home.

I still think Wales will win it; they’re an experienced team who have won the 6N before and are used to dealing with pressure. They won’t fear England, even at home. They’re stronger in some key positions; Biggar is in form unlike Ford, Davies is playing better than Youngs who insists on looking like a baby bird trying to fly for the first time at every ruck, Wales are stronger at 12 too. On top of that they dont give way needless penalties like we do.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    Oooh touchy

We would struggle but more than one of our forwards contributed, now answer the question

We seem to get beaten with it endlessly by our Celtic neighbours who seem to be importing plots of SH players, so e of whom are being identified early and bought over specifically.

Without Billy? We do t have another player like that so I’d expect to see Clifford on to use his pace and maybe move Itoje to the backrow to be a pain at the breakdown. Mako can carry well and has better hands than Billy as Scotland found out.

Bear
    Free Member

I’m always interested in the discussions on here, but the fractious nature of the posts becomes tiresome.

However I’m keen to add my thoughts…..

England seem to be trying to move towards a different game plan and a faster style, they are identifying some useful players without making a complete clean break from the old regime, both some good bits and some bad bits are being carried forward. I expect that to change, EJ has only been in charge a few months it will take many more to change all the habits.

Wales are Wales! They seem to play one way which seems to limit them, they do have in Biggar though a real find, I really like his game and he looks very good. They need to find a bit more creativity and plan B.

Ireland need to find some ball carriers and stop inviting defences on to them.

France were desperate against Wales and look devoid of any ideas of how to play, no structure or game plan.

Scotland have disappointed me the most as at the WC they seemed to have finally made some progress but have failed to bring that to the 6N.

Italy are getting closer and are slowly becoming more rounded and less totally forward dominated, although they need to gag Parisse!

STW continues to disappoint with it’s continual intolerance of each other, but I keep hoping to see some love!!!!!

Kryton57

STW continues to disappoint with it’s continual intolerance of each other

The Celts hate the English in a magnified way when it comes to sport, you won’t change that, and “writing” comes across more aggressive than face to face dialogue most of the time too, you won’t change that either.

Wreckers right, most on here won’t congratulate England, even the English as we are a passive polite race most of the time and prefer to highlight the negatives.

England Won. We are the top of the table, therefore currently by the sum of the nature of how the Six Nations is measured and ranked we are the best team to date.

Lets not forget Wales could only muster a draw against Ireland a few weeks ago – a similar Ireland to won we just beat, and had we been better finishers would have (I know I know) beaten by a bigger margin. Wales will be harder for sure.

Bear
    Free Member

Kryton I think you are right, I’m guilty of it too sometimes!

I’ve read / heard a fair few of the Welsh players interviewed and they mostly seem really nice blokes (and some dam fine players too!), but their supporters grate on me and make me dislike their team. Some of the Welsh players may be like that off the record too, but I’ll let them off!

I think that mostly the players of all nations get on pretty well I’d like the supporters to do so more…

What I find funny though is growing up England were always derided for playing the power game and kicking penalties, boot seems to be on the other foot now and it is acceptable to win at all cost… Short memories.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I think that mostly the players of all nations get on pretty well I’d like the supporters to do so more…

I think you’ll find the Welsh, as you’ve singled them out, get along with most nations, and them with the Welsh. Go figure! 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Rugby threads of old were a LOT worse!!!!

igm

The Celts hate the English in a magnified way when it comes to sport

As a Scot I probably get to comment on that, and the comment is “not really”. It’s more disappointment that a country with so many players manages to play in such a boring (if effective) style. It’s good old 10 man rugby straight out of the Rob Andrew book of style.
    The only point in professional sport is entertainment – and forwards repeatedly banging away until the kick comes in doesn’t entertain.

Wreckers right, most on here won’t congratulate England,

Well after the Scotland game I was quite clear on here that the English deserved their win. What more do you want?

even the English as we are a passive polite race most of the time and prefer to highlight the negatives.

Can’t agree with that – in sporting terms of boring describes the England team then arrogant tends to describe the England support. This of course is a massive generalisation and some England supporters are lovely insightful people with whom one can discuss the highs and lows of a game and where certain skills and abilities told.
    However I think it is fair to say my wife hates the average English supporter – because as an English woman she is embarrassed by her compatriots attitudes.

Of course I’m sure it’s only bitterness – we’ve never had a WC and the last decent thing we won was the 5 Nations (reigning champions there though)

IdleJon

I’ve read / heard a fair few of the Welsh players interviewed and they mostly seem really nice blokes (and some dam fine players too!), but their supporters grate on me and make me dislike their team.

😆

Total lack of irony.

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good post bear and your right about what England are trying to do and the intolerance – tried a separate thread to counter but it died.

As frustrating as it is to watch, I think EJ is balancing things well although it seems to me is that experience heads are giving away more penalties that the young guns. An impression as don’t have the stats to back that up!

Bear
    Free Member

IGM – your wife is right most supporters are difficult to comprehend.

I singled the Welsh out as I suppose I remember that rivalry the most.

There looks like the making of a decent Lions team in this 6N though. Hopefully a good mix of nations involved with no one nation dominant.

I was just trying to make observations, I have no problems with any team, just want to watch some good rugby.

Another observation is that people seem to have very high expectations of teams and the the ability to be near perfect, things take time to develop, players need time to learn styles and patterns of play. Rather than the revolving door policy I think it is best to identify talent and stick with it. There will be lean times but hopefully you get through those.

anagallis_arvensis

STW continues to disappoint with it’s continual intolerance of each other, but I keep hoping to see some love!!!!!

I’ve read / heard a fair few of the Welsh players interviewed and they mostly seem really nice blokes (and some dam fine players too!), but their supporters grate on me

was just trying to make observations, I have no problems with any team, just want to watch some good rugby.

Well you grate on me, how about shutting up with your anti welsh clap trap and talk about the rugby. FFS you couldnt make it up tou really couldnt.

IdleJon

And bear has brought the old anagallis back. Well done that man. 😆

The supporters who grate on me are the ones who turn up for 6 weeks every year and pretend to be experts based on what the rugby section of the Telegraph says. Or my mate Mark, a Scot who knows nothing until the 6N, and then proceeds to lecture me about how Scotland are so good.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bear for the record I am Welsh and I hate loathe detest english rugby. There, now you can accuse me of being hopelessly one eyed and bigoted because I am, proud of it as well. Hugs

anagallis_arvensis

Just watching rugby special, why did Vunipola stop on his early break? Did he blow that chance?

anagallis_arvensis

2 rucks before the watson try what was farrel up to? Looks like a punch but hard to tell without another angle

DanW
    Free Member

Didn’t catch the Farrell incident but Billy was definitely guilty of not playing to th whistle and blowing a try scoring opportunity

wrecker
    Free Member

I actually like Eddies unapologetic approach. He couldn’t care less if anyone dislikes him or the team, and I think a lot of england supporters would do well to follow his lead.

IdleJon

like Eddies unapologetic approach. He couldn’t care less if anyone dislikes him or the team, and I think a lot of england supporters would do well to follow his lead.

That’s never a bad approach. Served Pontypridd well for years.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

who knows nothing until the 6N, and then proceeds to lecture me about how Scotland are so good.

I miss TJ in this thread. 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Gusset is a bell end and I have to agree with Nicol

Bear
    Free Member

AA – I’m not anti Welsh or anti much (except Wendyball), I said I actually like the Welsh players, just their one eyed supporters, in fact any one eyed supporter, English included, and they may be some of the worst because a lot of them know nothing about rugby just come along at international time.

Pigface – would you like some help removing the fence!!!!!

Apologies if I’ve offended anyone.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,161 through 5,200 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.