• This topic has 26 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 2014 Tour of Sufferlandria
  • MSP

I just signed up. anyone else going for it?

http://www.trainerroad.com/tour-of-sufferlandria

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Yep Im in. Despite struggling hugely since Xmas Im hoping to have a modicum of fitness to do the whole lot @ 90% FTP.

MSP

Yeah, I have barely done a thing for a few months, my ftp will be quite low, but it will mean I have to do some work over the next couple of weeks to prepare, and then I look at it as a hard boost to start some proper training.

Isn’t there some group function on trainer road these days? maybe we could have some sort of STW league, just to keep an eye on what everyone else is doing.

davetrave
    Free Member

Yup, I’m in. In a similar boat fitness wise – after a big stack end of last August, followed by a month off to recover/mend broken bits, I’ve been struggling to get back to anywhere near the same amount of riding/running time I was at before so this’ll be a good boost. Possibly helped by having a week of ski touring, in Austria, in the legs, finishing on the Friday before the start. Or maybe not…

I’m even going out to buy a shiny, new (quieter) turbo especially this weekend, to replace my very aged magnetic Minoura…

Jason
    Free Member

Hopefully doing it. Although I only get back from a work’s trip early Monday morning so will miss the first two days. Currently planning to 3 sessions on the Monday to catch everyone up. Rubber Glove, ISLAGIATT & Revolver back to back should be fun…

There is a single track group on TrainerRoad : http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/156-singletrackworld

MSP

I just realised I don’t have the first two videos, and probably won’t be able to afford them until midway through the week. One of them is 2 hours long, that won’t be pleasant just following it on trainer road without the vid to gee me up.

adsh
    Free Member

An expensive way to overtrain to injury

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

just stream one of the world cup XCO races from last year from the UCI channel, excellent motivation, and some quality commentary

Jason
    Free Member

You don’t have to do every one at 100%

MSP

Not at all, I will be setting my level to one I expect I can sustain for the challenge. As I have a couple of 4-5 day races planned for the summer, I need to train to ride day after day. Just an hour or two a day early on will be a decent building block.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I don’t get it.

brakes
    Free Member

that looks tough!
    both physically and mentally.

cookeaa

I don’t get it.

Think of it like a chain gang for agoraphobics…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Think of it like a chain gang for agoraphobics…

Funny, 😀

MSP

just stream one of the world cup XCO races from last year from the UCI channel, excellent motivation, and some quality commentary

Good idea

adsh
    Free Member

You don’t have to do every one at 100%

Sufferlandria annexed by Mildiscomforture?
    Anyway horses for courses I can’t train at any meaningful level for that length of time without too great a risk of injury.

MSP

Well if you can’t ride for 2 hours then you need to up the volume and lower the intensity. You don’t seem to understand that there are different facets to training, if all you look for is high intensity you are training very poorly.

adsh
    Free Member

I understand (and practice) that it’s just I thought that sufferfest was all about training to extinction – obviously I was wrong.

That said the whole premise of the title seems to be about suffering. 2hours and suffering = pretty high intensity no? I’ll take a rest day after a couple of days of that.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Most of sessions have a TSS of around 70-90, (for the 60 minute ones), so they vary a lot in intensity but compared to elite riders banging out days of over 150 in TSS its not that bad.

Suffering and cycling combined sells.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just signed up for this today, it’ll either kickstart my training or kill me. Not sure which!

The only problem might be fitting the sessions in around work but hopefully it won’t be too much of an issue.

MSP

Who is still in then?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Still going here 😀

Did A Very Dark Place this morning. Not pleasant at all 😯

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Kind of… I’m a day late to the party

I don’t know who was more sweaty this morning me or Angus Young 😯 😀 (I drop an ACDC dvd into trainer road as I haven’t got all the sufferfest vids)

So it was Wretched and Extra Shot for me this morn. Not to bad, I’m slowly building the % up on trainer road ( SF vids are known to be super tough when linked with TR) … so up to 96%…. aiming to do The Hunted, in a couple of days time, on 100%…. that’s one of the SF vids I do have and I’ve never been able to do it before at 100%

MSP

You shouldn’t need to change your percentage, did you do rubber glove? that should have given you recommended ftp level, then the only reason to change percentage rather than ftp is if you are feeling ill or particularly knackered.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

You’re right… rubber glove told me to lower the FTP a couple of Watts…. Lower? lower? Get worse? No thanks… I left it as it was.

Swings and roundabouts… and it’s forcing me to try to get up to and hold that 100% for The Hunted

Anyway I’m enjoy it, but will be ready to get back in the pool next week (strangely enough not that worried about running in this weather)

notmyrealname
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to change your percentage, did you do rubber glove? that should have given you recommended ftp level, then the only reason to change percentage rather than ftp is if you are feeling ill or particularly knackered.

I did Rubber Glove first off and it told me to up my FTP by 13W 😯

So far I’ve done them all at 100% but I think I might need to drop it for the second of tomorrows sessions!

MSP

Well tomorrow is the 7th day in a row, I think that might be covered under “particularly knackered”

Although angels and the hunted I find pretty easy if rather dull, a very dark place is probably my favorite so I will enjoy tonights, blender on Sat is quite difficult, but it is violater on Sunday I am not looking forward to.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘2014 Tour of Sufferlandria’ is closed to new replies.