Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 2014 Specialized Sirrus as a serious road-bike………? (The carbon disc one)
  • HarryakaDave
    Free Member

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Sirrus-Pro-Carbon-Disc-2014-Flat-Bar-Road-Bike_65846.htm

So, same frame as the Roubaix, decent kit, carbon cranks and the better wheelset (as compared to the £1.5k Roubaix Disc) but…….flat bars. Do about 4k miles on the road each year but tbh only use the drops for braking and full-chat DH record attempts, the rest of the time I’m on the hoods.

Any thoughts? (and yes, I do want a “Zertz” frame due to there being more metal in my ankle than in most bikes)

rickon
    Free Member

If you don’t use the drops, and find flat bars comfortable – why not?

Too many people assume that drop bars are the next step and the only thing to ride on the road, even when they only ride on the tops.

I use the drops *a lot*, and find them very comfy, but my missus doesn’t.

The Sirrus looks an awesome flat bar road bike, proper comfy with the Zerts, it’s a Roubaix with flat bars 🙂

Do it.

geoffj

I have an 07 sirrus disc comp – alu frame with steel fork.
    It was the bike that got me back on bikes.

Excellent bit of kit. Specialized quality control and warranty backup. If you’re in the market for a flat bar road bike them go for it!

HarryakaDave
    Free Member

Tbh I wasn’t… I’m upgrading my Dawes Audax, it’s got Hope Hoops on but other than that its the basic cheapo model, but it’s done me good on the Etape du Dales, the Fred and double century rides, but the Sirrus just appeals! Was looking at the Roubaix but the kit on this is way better for the money.

ampthill

I think its a good plan but just check the reach to the flat bars is the same as to your hoods

Also I know this makes me old but I’m still not convinced be discs on the road

Superficial
    Free Member

£2k for a commuter? It’s nice enough, but I don’t see the point, personally.

imnotverygood

I used t commute on a Sirrus and it is a nice commuter bike, but it was not in the same league as a drop barred bike speed wise. The Trek 1200 I had was much quicker, the Sirrus handles like a hybrid and is much more upright even than riding on the bars off a racer. I would definitely try one out before you buy to see if it is what you are looking for.

Toasty

It looks higher spec than the £1900 Roubaix, but lower spec than the £2200 one? Sounds about right given the price. Given ALL Roubaix frames are classed as SL4 as well, does this mean they’ve all had a bit of an upgrade from last year?

The main thing slowing you down at speed is the aerodynamics, the weight is doing bugger all. The Sirrus seems a bit silly in my eyes. Tragically if it had drops I’d be a bit more convinced, really disappointed by how low end the Tricross range goes this year. Drops + discs commuter, looked top fun.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Tricross-Elite-Disc-2014-Road-Bike_65874.htm

joemarshall
    Free Member

I know that it’s unfashionable to say this what with the trend for super low bars, but if you’re not using the drops on your current bike, why not pop a spacer under the stem, or flip the stem back up?

I have my bars quite high (no spacers, but flipped up, about level with the seat), and I’m nice and comfy on the drops for quite a time, but have nice high hoods if I need them. When I had it flipped down, my back ached if I rode too much on the drops so I didn’t use them much.

In the olden days, it used to be pretty normal to have hoods level with the seat on a tourer, but nowadays it seems like everyone and their dog wants to look like they’re in the Tour de France or something.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I quite like that and used to have an ’08 Alu/Carbon Sirrus until it was stolen. I would imagine that geometry will be a lot more upright than on the Roubaix, I know mine was compared to my ‘relaxed’ Madone 4.7 which is a good thing when you are riding in traffic for 10-15 miles but probably not so much on a long distance sportive.

HarryakaDave
    Free Member

The geometry will surely be very similar to the Roubaix as its the same frame?

HarryakaDave
    Free Member

HarryakaDave
    Free Member

And this new one is a world apart from the old ones

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

You’re right I think; I checked the website and compared the geometry of the 2013 Sirrus SL4 to the Roubaix SL4 and barring the odd mm difference for wheelbase on the smaller sizes the geometry was identical.

I’d definitely consider one of these if I needed to replace my 2008 Madone. I very rarely ride the drops and generally prefer flat-bars & bar-ends.

I say go for it and let us know what you think 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

The geometry will surely be very similar to the Roubaix as its the same frame?

Is it? Never knew they were actually the same.

Trouble is the hoods sit quite a bit forward of the stem, to actually replicate the position of being on the hoods you’ll need a 200mm stem.

But yes, as long as you realise it won’t actually be identical to riding on the hoods it’ll be fine.

eshershore
    Free Member

@njee20

yup same frame as the roubaix road bike – the Zertz even say “roubaix” on them

same wheel set (road wheels) and road bike caliper brakes

antigee

Trouble is the hoods sit quite a bit forward of the stem, to actually replicate the position of being on the hoods you’ll need a 200mm stem.

think this is the issue for me – I ride on hoods most of the time but its not comparable with riding a flat bar, though will sit up and use bars especially if tired and have cx levers to prove it – I use the drops not so much for out and out speed but to keep a decent average speed for less effort into a headwind but its all whatever works

thomthumb
    Free Member

my mate had one. it’s a hybrid. flat bar road bike is just another name – it didn’t ride like a road bike.

If you want to ride in the hoods all day do that – does it matter if you don’t use the drops. it’s about the ten-to-two hand position.

Toasty

Is that normally the case though? My mountain bikes (~22″) all have a ~640mm top tube, my road bike (62cm) has a 600mm top tube.

Very bizarre if they have just taken a road bike and stuck a flat bar on it. The Roubaix is pretty upright for a road bike anyway.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘2014 Specialized Sirrus as a serious road-bike………? (The carbon disc one)’ is closed to new replies.