Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 2014 Saracens….
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m a Saracen fan. I admit it. I ride a 2012 Kili Flyer and it’s luvverly.
    But a 2014 Saracen catalogue has just landed on my workbench and, my oh my, do they have some cracking bikes out this year. The Kili Flyer 122 is probably the pick of the range for me or the Zen with dropper post 2×10 Deore/SLX and Sektors for £1499
    At the other end there’s the Tuffrax Elite, an 8sp, hydraulic disced, 700mm barred 29er for £420! That’s a proper usable first MTB at a price that undercuts Trek and Specialized by a clear £100.
    Flicking through the spec it’s obvious someone has thought long and hard about what UK riders need. I’m very impressed. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Terminal BMX is lush in an old skool fashion too.

ska-49
    Free Member

I love the new range they have. Look well designed with a good spec BUT the FS bikes are to expensive. Charging more than kona/Giant/Spec for the same spec. It’s a shame as I was looking at the Ariel.

IHN

butt itz sarcin innit? 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there a 29er Zen?

I saw a proto pic a year or so ago but I guess they dropped it for 650b.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No steel. 🙁

I wish they would make some sort of steel HT under the Kili name.

core

I get the impression madison were wanting to shift the mtb market to saracen from genesis?

chakaping
    Free Member

I wish they would make some sort of steel HT under the Kili name.

I’d agree, but they did and it must not have sold.

But then perhaps they were asking way too much for it.

Edit – And the Zen is a remarkably comfy alu frame, as well as being light and stiff.

wwaswas

CFH: 2011 – Saracen Kili Cromo – lovely 853…

Few were still available NOS last time I looked.

DezB
    Free Member

^^ that’s like PP’s. Tasty frame.

snakebite
    Free Member

I had a 2013 Zen, 17″ last Summer, it sort of became my favourite bike! 650b, dropper, velvet forks, SLX etc, for sale as I want the 2014 version. 😯

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Got a kili flyer 121 at the start of January , hopefully it lasts longer than my genesis grapil .

daveh
    Free Member

Did you break your Grapil? I broke 2. 😳

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Agreed its sad there’s no steel but the steel Kilis were too expensive. Lovely frames, prototyped by Enigma, but £750 was too much for the frame. I bought mine used off here. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And the best thing about Saracen, Genesis and Ridgeback?
    All Madison brands, so no Avid brakes. 🙂

AlexSimon

lol at PP – indeed.

crazy-legs

Saracen was my first ever MTB. Saracen Sahara Elite back in 1993. Eventually I upgraded to the top of the range Kili Ultra Ti (1997 I think).

Sold it recently – bit of a heartbreak to see it go but I couldn’t really justify keeping it and never using it.

It was awful when Saracen went all cheapo BSO, was so good to see them back with the steel hardtails again.

Their range this year does look good. If I was in the market for a new FS, the Kili Flyer 123 would certainly be up there

AlexSimon

IHN – Member

butt itz sarcin innit?
    I guess some of us are old enough to remember the time before that.
    In fact they weren’t really on my radar at all during the 90s (once I’d become attached to Konas).

robbonzo
    Free Member

Did you break your Grapil? I broke 2.

I broke mine too DaveH, 😥 doomed frame unfortunately, although they were very good about it in the end. They tried to get me on a sarcin, but not my bag.

Northwind

If we get back to the Tufftrak being the first proper bike of kids, that’s one more thing right with the world.

(having said that, we have 2 Halfordz Sarcinz in the garage, a Raw 2 and a Rufftrak, they are brilliantly awful. The Rufftrak weighs more than my 224 and has suspension that mysteriously only seems to go up.

IHN

I guess some of us are old enough to remember the time before that.

Oh, indeed, we are.

My mate had a Tufftrax in about, ooh, 1988. I was very jealous.

dandax1990
    Free Member

My brother picked up a Kili Flyer Cromo last year, still brand new in the box for £1000.

The retail price of £2600 was a joke though, beautiful bikes.

Leku
    Free Member

I’ve had two.

[/url]
    IMG_0452 by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_0807 by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr[/img]

1981miked
    Free Member

Those steel Kili’s are bloody lovely.. I couldn’t find one in a small when I was looking though.. : (

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Did you break your Grapil? I broke 2.

Yeah I also broke 2 , they wanted me to wait till a re designed rear triangle was available ! So to get them moving I told them I wanted a full refund , they offered me a kili flyer 121 , might as well give this 650b caper a try 🙂

Kato

£1499 turned my head so I checked out their website. Lists 2014 prices for the Kili as £1999 for the 121, £2599 for the 122 and £3199 for the 123

Disappointed now 😕

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

They are lovely looking bikes. I haven’t ridden one for 2 – 3 years but, if I was in the market for a new HT, they’d be on my list.

I like the way they’ve turned themselves around. Honestly, ‘UR bike iz sarcin’, I thought, spelled the end of the brand as a serious MTB’er name.

djbagines post of his new Ariel 15x really caught my eye. Esp. as I’m a full sus = ugly kind of person!

richen987
    Free Member

slightly more disappointed by the absolutely terrible coulour schemes and graphics on the bikes, the Kili’s ref’d above in pics were beautiful, nice understated classic colours, great block graphics etc
    this years some horror show of garish colours. they look very cheap IMHO.

edit – the black one above is actually very nice
    however this one isn’t!

Ariel 151

DezB
    Free Member

Frame only is black and looks great. Bit of a competitive price range for frames at £1600 though.
    Yeti 575 or Saracen? I know which I’d go for!

hmm, maybe it’s black n grey

Northwind

I love that! Looks like a 90s trainer. The blue is a bit lost though

dandax1990
    Free Member

The chrome detail on my brothers frame is so so so nice.

chakaping
    Free Member

The chrome detail on my brothers frame is so so so nice.

Have a word with him about those mudguards though, eh?

Bit of a competitive price range for frames at £1600

Hmmm, £1.6k for a Saracen frame when we all know the complete bikes will be going for less 10 months later? I’m not trying to be a clever dick, I’m genuinely a bit sad that they are so deluded on pricing.

dandax1990
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the one on the forks but the rear is a bit pointless.

dandax1990
    Free Member

And I agree with the price, My brother picked his up brand new in the box for £1000.

Bought from a guy in Newcastle who had it for 9 months and never got round to building it, makes sense.

dandax1990
    Free Member

sharkattack

I just had to Google this due to an above comment.

Looks mint.

AlexSimon

Looks mint.

More like teal I think.

Rickos
    Free Member

I love the old style Redline-a-like forks that are fatter at the crown on that BMX.

l0key
    Free Member

the team colours on the ariel 152 sold itself too me. Like christmas, can‘t wait till payday to pick it up from lbs 🙂

daveh
    Free Member

I broke mine too DaveH

Ah, it got you too. I think the terrain and my weight accelerated my failure! I blazed the customer service path for you! What did you go for afterwards? I got a Bandit 26.

they offered me a kili flyer 121

How does that compare?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘2014 Saracens….’ is closed to new replies.