Viewing 31 posts - 161 through 191 (of 191 total)
  • 2014 Prudential Ride London
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Did this last year, was really great, fab support from the crowds apart from the funny man on Box Hill cursing everyone. Food stops can get a bit crowded which is annoying if you are in it for a time, try and carry your own food, if you don’t want to get held up.

The last bit into the Mall is awesome, everyone banging the hoardings and cheering, you are going to love it. I did it for a charity and they asked me to so a blog following the ride with tips for first time cyclists as it was the first road ride for me. Here is the link, bit cringeworthy but you might find some of it of use. Blog link

bikebouy
    Free Member

When you’ve done it, you know finished it and all that.
    A) don’t bore the pants off your mates nor anyone else you happen to bump into by narrating a mile by mile account of your “epic” day out.
    B) don’t wear your free “I did the Prudential 100” cycling top ever again, nope not even on your bike.
    C) proclaim that now you’ve done 100 miles on yer bike that you are elite and worthy of higher social standing.
    &
    D) don’t write about it on here.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Quite opinionated aren’t you bikebouy, I am sure you are lovely in real life.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stoffel
    Free Member

Hoping for less than 8 hours.

A friend who suffers from various physical issues, as well as an eyesight problem meaning her depth perception is realy **** up, did it in less than 8 hours, so unless your really old/have health issues, then you should be able to do that no problem! No worries if you can’t though, it’s a long way.

don’t wear your free “I did the Prudential 100” cycling top ever again, nope not even on your bike.

I gree. Ditto with any event t-shirt. They always remind me of those mebarrassing ‘I ran the world’ t-shirts in the 80s.

proclaim that now you’ve done 100 miles on yer bike that you are elite and worthy of higher social standing.

Can’t agree there though. 100 miles is a bloody long way, and most cyclists will never ride as far in one single day. Why not brag bit? 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hoping for less than 8 hours.
    A friend who suffers from various physical issues, as well as an eyesight problem meaning her depth perception is realy **** up, did it in less than 8 hours, so unless your really old/have health issues, then you should be able to do that no problem! No worries if you can’t though, it’s a long way.

Taking into account the lack of slowing down and accelerating at traffic lights (I’ve been using my commute times as a yardstick) and no dealing with buses,cars and pedestrians, I’ve revised my ambition to 7.5 hours…

I’m 63 years old and not quite recovered from a broken back.

90 mile final training ride on Sunday.

Heck.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So – did 87.09 miles yesterday on my last long-distance trainer ride for Aug 10th. Feel OK today if a wee bit tired…

How’s everybody else doing?

jam-bo

How’s everybody else doing?

raced an enduro DH yesterday, haven’t done more than 20m on the road bike for weeks….

njee20
    Free Member

Pah, all you unworthy types getting in, I’m not bitter at all.

I’m spannering up on Newlands Corner, so a long day fixing punctures. Fun fun.

Kryton57

We were supposed to be doing the Leith Hill Octopus yesterday but were cut short after my riding buddy had a serious accident.

There were gazillions of people out yesterday, and the roads looked very smooth with remaining potholes marked out for repair – and good thing to as there are some big holes in downhill lanes with overhanging trees that were both low light and damp.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m in. Start time 0627.

Was half tempted to bin it due to the epic faff of getting to Olympic Park for 0530ish from Surrey, plus having to go to Excel the day before.

But it’s only once in a lifetime. I’m in. Aiming to roll around at leisure, no rush.

Have done no on-road training but I’ll get around, if not in comfort.

May well stop for a picnic with the family at the Nower, bottom of Coldharbour Lane, we live close nearby. Should anyone be looking for somewhere, it’s a beautiful spot.

hooli

I have sorted out somewhere to stay so I will be able to register on the Saturday and will get a few hours extra sleep the on Sunday morning.

Need to give the bike a once over but I think I am pretty much there, also met my sponsorship target earlier this week.

crazy-legs

Well 5 months ago I posted on here to say that my official application had been rejected but then the other day I won a place through a ballot at work – apparently work had put in a bid for 3 Team places and I got a spot in one of those! 🙂

Still don’t know my start time though.

alansd1980

Probably my last ride of any length on Sunday and it went well, 65 miles solo at an average of 18.4 mph so my hope of sub 5 hours may be possible. Will commute a few more days but have started to taper already.

Also starting to set alarm earlier than normal to hopefully be a bit more prepared for the 3am wake up. Will try getting up at 4.30/5 for a few days before!

jam-bo

7.07 start time for me.

most rides round here have about 3x the climbing of the ride london route so I have no idea what sort of speed I’ll be comfortable with on the flat. going to try to work on HR zones and stick with an effort I know I can maintain.

nedrapier

Got out for 90 odd miles at the weekend down in Kent. A friend wanted to check out the Hever Gauntlet (half ironman) course for later in the year. 56 miles of that, with about the same ascent as the R100. Plus bits either end, trains and a barbeque. 16mph average, mostly me out front, some recording blips, so don’t know if that’s right, or how it’s going to translate to the course. Sub 6 would be nice, but who knows?

With that in mind, my just-devised, highly scientific strategy will be to “clip along” until the hills, suffer through them, and hang on for the finish. I’ve got nothing to do after this, so hurting myself a bit won’t be the end of the world! We shall see…

bikebouy
    Free Member

BOL all, I’m sure you’ve all underestimated your efforts to date and will be fine hacking along. Wave as you go past Canary Wharf, I’ll be watching you lot hack along the Highway 8)

Don’t be tempted to wear your new purchased top to work the next day will you 😆

Hope the weather holds out, should be a cracker.

nedrapier

cheers BB!

njee20 – I’ll see if I can get myself a puncture round Newlands Corner and come and say hello! Have fun, hope for your sake as much as mine that the weather’s decent.

Event T-shirts – about half my t-shirts are free event t shirts! Mainly get worn on the cycle to work. Except for the Trailplus Duathlon + Splashing one that is a bit cringeworthy – “I WAS PART OF IT!” Annoyingly it’s the nicest one. Really nice heavyweight cotton, dark blue. That one just gets worn under jumpers!

crazy-legs

Event T-shirts – about half my t-shirts are free event t shirts! Mainly get worn on the cycle to work. Except for the Trailplus Duathlon + Splashing one that is a bit cringeworthy – “I WAS PART OF IT!” Annoyingly it’s the nicest one. Really nice heavyweight cotton, dark blue. That one just gets worn under jumpers!

Most event T-shirts I’ve had over the years have gone to bike cleaning duties!
    The worst one I ever got had written on it:

There are only two ways to get this T-shirt
    Finish the [WHATEVER THE EVENT WAS IN BIG CAPITALS]
    Murder a finisher and steal theirs.

Which did I do…?

/cringe
    So I got a XXL cos it gave me more material to clean the bike with…

Kryton57

Is there a GPX does anyone know? ( I assume it’ll be easy to find the way anyway but I thought I’d ask…)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like Wiggins is in, you could try asking him 🙂

crazy-legs

Is there a GPX does anyone know?

They haven’t created one this year due to the issues they had last year with dickheads trying to ride the route in advance and being sent the wrong way down one-way systems…

Kryton57

mrblobby – Member
    Looks like Wiggins is in, you could try asking him

Excellent I’ll just follow him then.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“cough” Loads of GPX’s on Garmin 😀

nedrapier

due to the issues they had last year with dickheads

Pretty sure that’s not how they worded it in the brochure! 😀

TiRed

This has the correct routing avoiding Cobham.

06:12 leaving time with Twickenham CC. Wave, there should be plenty of us about.

crazy-legs

Weather forecast looks properly minging all day. 🙁
    Currently a yellow “Be Aware” warning of heavy rain all day.

Might even be tempted to use the CX at this rate on account of the wider tyres and disc brakes…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh dear, yellow alert over the south on Sunday!

There is the risk of severe weather during Sunday as a depression tracks over, or close to, the UK. At this stage there is more than average uncertainty in the forecast, but the public should be aware of the risk of heavy rain, strong winds and large waves, sufficient to disrupt transport and make outdoor activities dangerous.

nedrapier

crazylegs – try this one. it’s much nicer!

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/London/long.html

Given how much you can do about it, you may as well relax for now and leave the nerves till the forecasts have swung into line a bit better.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m mostly worried about these waves.

Kryton57

There’s only one forecast website that has that warning. Another weather site shows 30% possibility if a shower between 10-12 and and 18mph southerly – that’s it.

@ TiRed – I caught up with some of your lot in the Chiltern 100 but you weren’t there – seeing as I’m leaving 50 mins after you for reputations sake I’m sure your hoping I won’t bump into you this time either…. 😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We are providing some off road fun at Green Park with our Forest Track, about 150m of North Shore type giggles.

Viewing 31 posts - 161 through 191 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘2014 Prudential Ride London’ is closed to new replies.