Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • 2014 is the year I start camping……..
  • wallop

Something to drink wine out of. Rather than plastic wine glasses, I take little tiny glass tumblers from ikea – easy to pack and unlikely to break, and it makes you feel all continental, like.

donks
    Free Member

If you go to one of the all singing all dancing campsites with huge shower blocks and bars, shops, ghastly club house etc then take all you can….air beds, duvets, ipad, camping tables, chairs. It makes for a more comfortable stay. Also don’t forget you are only ever a few minutes from the likes of tesco etc which sell just about everything these days….even tents if like me you forget to pack the poles. Trust me if it starts raining and you’re stuck in the tent for a few days you will be very glad of some creature comforts.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

If you really want to sleep well take the PILLOWS you use every day. Plus all above advice re quality bags if going three season.

Don’t forget the corkscrew. This also aids sleeping soundly. 😉

dknwhy

We use these to sleep on for car camping and they are extremely comfortable and warm. We take a single sheet for each of them too.
    Gelert XL

I have a double burner with grill, kitchen unit and maybe some other bits (I’ll have to look in the garage) that I’d be willing to sell if you’re interested?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I went in the summer, just took pillows from the house and one of those “split” duvets for summer/winter and used one half on the sleeping mat, top half for sleeping under.
    Light was an Exposure Maxx-D with one of those diffusers (amazing) and a couple of bike LEDs
    Cooking was on a disposable BBQ
    Couple of folding chairs.

Didn’t cost much and we had a great time.

rapiddescent

I got fed up of sleeping in fields. I think the rainy 2009 Singlespeeds at Drumlanrig did it for me, So I got a bongo. amazing vehicle. although, I’m trading up and it’s for sale.

superfli
    Free Member

Carpet for the tent has been my best camping purchase. Warms it on the feet and can soak up a little condensation. Elec hookup and a beer fridge (not just beer mind!).

Spaceman
    Free Member

I’ve never felt the need for an electric hookup and have been family camping for a good few years, can see the attraction of a heater but a tv and fridge etc totally unnecessary imo.

One top camping tip (for blokes only sorry) is take a plastic 2L milk bottle with you as a night time toilet, saves trips to camp toilet in the middle of the night, big enough to get your willie in (it’s murder trying to use a soft drinks bottle for the same function!) A must if you like a few beers when camping!

A decent folding table and campchairs are vital.

jekkyl

If no kids get the tent & mattress up then nip inside for some quick holiday nookie, then put the kettle on. Love camping in the lakes, sipping post coital coffee while admiring the view, marvellous.
    Also cuddling up to your partner while the rain is hammering down is a magical experience you only get camping.
    Some sort of old used jug is useful for a piss in the middle of the night, a jug is easier for the ladies to get it into. The wife might say ‘aghh that’s disgusting’ but after one night of trapsing to the loo in the rain with umbrella she’ll be pissing in a jug like the rest of us.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

We have a 4 person tent for us and the dog – big enough to stand up in and sit in comfortably if it’s raining, and we can fit the dog’s travel bed in it so he settles for the night. We have a van so easy to transport our gear.

We take camping chairs and blankets, a camping table (easy to prep food on) our gas stove or a portable BBQ. In summer we will wild camp, but other times of the year we usually go to campsites where there is at least the option of a hot shower and somewhere warm to sit and have a cuppa or a pint.

A decent tent lamp or two is a godsend! Means we can snuggle down and read, or play a game inside the tent if the weather is foul.

timbur
    Free Member

Thanks all. Slowly building up the kit but thanks for all the tips.

(puts 2ltr milk bottle on the list but will keep it a secrete why from the Mrs!)

scotroutes

50 years of camping and I’ve never wanted/needed a bottle or jug in the tent. As a result I’ve seen some amazing star-filled skies, meteors, the Northern Lights and all sort of wild creatures.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

If you’re going down the electric hookup path then a small electric kettle.

We do all the cooking on a single burner briefcase style stove (breakfast) and a BBQ (Weber smoky Joe), plus BBQ needed for toasting marshmallow.

Assuming you have kids, coloring pens and paper, and playing cards.

timbur
    Free Member

Stomp rocket as well. Not just for the kids :O)

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘2014 is the year I start camping……..’ is closed to new replies.