Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 2014 HONC
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

Great ride this morning, if a little crowded at the start. Pleased with my time of 3:20 as a first timer in not just this but any event. Thanks to Winchcombe CC for organising and thanks to Mark for the late entry transfer. I’ll definitely be back next year, meanwhile the sun lounger beckons.

mboy
    Free Member

Glad you had fun Bruce

I on the other hand had a bigger nightmare than last year! Got lost in a big way (signage was even worse than last year, which is saying something) having been told that the GPX routes were inaccurate on the start line, so follow the signs instead (if you could see them). To top it off, seatclamp on my CX bike gave up (uselessly flimsy bit of kit that came on the bike!) and I had to ride most of the route with my knees round my ears.

Ended up doing about 62km somehow, in about 4hrs, including a good long stop to calm myself down before throwing my bike in the hedge! Still, the sun was shining… Once I calmed down I actually had a nice pootle home.

Shame as last year I was just over 3hrs for the 50 in much softer conditions, and with 3 flat tyres! Reckoned I could have been on for a 2 1/2 hr 50 today… Hey ho!

jj55

Great event again, GPX was a little sketchy but got me out of trouble more than once when I missed the signs. Glad to see ‘keep left if you are pushing’ signs, makes it a whole lot better if you are still riding up. Great event, great people and lovely countryside. Just who does live in those amazing Cotswold mansions!!?

timothecimmerian

Despite the mandatory bottleneck on the first climb (and sadly..the first descent) I thought it was great.

Just the 50k for me, but I didn’t feel short changed. Route was (mostly) dry, and brilliant blue skies all around with even the appearance of dust on a few of the trails! Thanks to all the organisers and marshalls.

DrP

Really enjoyed the 100k on the single speed.
    Did it in about 5hrs 20, which I was please with…
    Just eating the in laws out of house and gone now…

DrP

orangeboy
    Free Member

Got a little lost after the feed stop and did 60 k instead of 50 but stunning day and every one was friendly
    I blame myself for not keeping track of where I was going , they did give out a Map and it is more like an audax event

Thanks to all who put in a top event

lump

Good day TBH Signage was fine dint have a wrong turn all day. And didnt bother trying to follow there GXP as it was way off the tracks and roads. Nice dry trails and the sun was out, enough for me…
    Got a serious problem with the Bread and butter pudding though 😀 Have to wait till next time to get some more in my fat face 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

Great time had here as well. I have never seen so many broken chains. Indeed I have never seen a broken chain until today. Must have be 10 easy.
    Not mine. All went as it should. Now why did I carry 3 tubes?

psling
    Free Member

An enjoyable event, nice to have sunshine and dry trails. Did the 100 out and 50 back so about 75 in total. No GXP, just followed the signs and map; did shout after a few riders who missed signs, head down arse up. I don’t go fast enough myself Mark 😉
    Big thanks to organisers, marshals, helpers and whoever bakes the bread pudding and flapjack 😀

matplant
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it today, superb weather. Did anyone else miss the feed station or was just me? I think I took a wrong turn just before Guiting Power but it couldn’t have been that wrong as I don’t remember thinking ‘oh I’m lost’

psling
    Free Member

Agree Matt, for a reliability trial there were a lot of mechanicals! 😯
    I didn’t want to tempt fate but don’t people check their bikes over or do a bit of maintenance before these events? Could’t believe how many breakages there appeared to be in the first 5 miles.

That’s mattccm btw!

Oh, and the other Matt. There was a right turn just after the ford – one of the ones I managed to call after some riders who had missed it. The ford was certainly cooling around the nether regions 😯

mrmo
    Free Member

Just a PSA, If you see a gate that is open with a yellow sign attached that says shut the gate, SHUT THE F**KING GATE!!!!!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Happy days in the Cotswolds :lol:Lecky/Winstone way was lovely and quiet.

singletrackmind

Well , I saw DrP at the start. Wobbly legs my ar$e , off like a rocket as per usual . Saw a chap in a bad way just before the first climb , collar bone i think , not a good start.
    Overdressed for the amazing sunshine and warm temps but got settled in to a steady pace eventually , alkthough the yo -yo effect of having alot of cx bikes made some descents annoying slow.
    Road sections not too painful on RR / Vert combo, glad to have lock outs though.
    Signs, hmm I missed a few and got a helpfull yell off some GPX equipped riders. They were well placed , just half as big as they need to be.
    6hrs 20 for the 100k, no punctures or mechanicals, but for some reason my balls now ache, which is a problem when you have to drive 120 miles afters.

3hrs exactly to feed stop , and a welcome cup of tea. If you rode on a SC 5010 solo in orange , that was me you were chatting to.

Fantombiker

First time I’ve done this,. What a well organised event! Easy to get to off the motorway, no hassle parking (plenty of marshalls). Great course, and lots of nice Marshalls along the way.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it
    4.46 for the 100k on a cross bike for me
    Going to take the MTB next time though as some of those descents were a big sketchy 🙂

grahamh
    Free Member

Going to take the MTB next time

May be a more CX biased route next year 😉

Kryton57

Lovely day out. 5.22 100k on an old fashioned 26er HT here. Had a dark moment with about 20m to go and over those fields with horses hoof prints rattling the shit out of me.

On the red wine now, restoring nitrates…

kerv
    Free Member

Another 26er HT here, 1×10 Whippet. 4.47 for the 100k. Sounds like we had a similar day Kryton I had a bottom lip moment about the same point. Also had to check my fillings after some of the “hoofy” descents. Apart from that, another great HONC with the added benefit of dry trails! 🙂

hh45
    Free Member

There was more road than ever though wasn’t there this year? I think its my 6th HONC and it did seem more tarmac than I recall. Several long off road favorites missing this year.

It seems more orientated than ever at family riders and non competitive people or is that just me? The walking on the first climb was shocking; a) walking and b) not getting out of the way of people trying to ride. The countryside and cake was awesome though.

My Garmin measured the 100 at 93.1km. Any other recordings?

grahamh
    Free Member

There was more road than ever though wasn’t there this year?

in a word No.

mrmo
    Free Member

It seems more orientated than ever at family riders and non competitive people or is that just me? The walking on the first climb was shocking; a) walking and b) not getting out of the way of people trying to ride. The countryside and cake was awesome though.

Just you,i would suggest that mtbers are getting less fit and less competitive in general, i was just out for a bimble and got caught up at one point, What i noticed, apart from leaving the gates open!!!!!!! was the ability spread. Looked like some were in for a VERY long day!

orangeboy
    Free Member

With so many people on the first narrow climb I don’t think it was ever going to end in anything but a walk
    The moment a person riding on the right fails very one comes to a halt just the way it is

And don’t blame the slow descent just on cx riders there were plenty of novice mtb going slow down as well as up

Metasequoia

It was just over 100km, if you got 93 km you missed a bit out.

Definitely not lots of road, it’s a reliability ride not a mtb marathon!!

To those on full sus bikes, if the cx’s get in your way next year try it on ridged bike or a cx bike :).

Metasequoia

Also if you are annoyed that people walk on the 1st climb, just ride faster at the start to the first climb , then you can be a climbing god with others like you :).

The whole thing was great fun, thanks to the organisers!

hh45
    Free Member

Also if you are annoyed that people walk on the 1st climb, just ride faster at the start to the first climb , then you can be a climbing god with others like you :).

Fair point but I was near the front. I guess people get bunched up after being on a wider road for a mile.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Brilliant event (the weather may have influenced my spirits!). Think I might start right at the back for the next one I do so all the grumbling walkers have gone by the time I get to the 1st climb – I was quite happy to walk up it as I accept it’s gonna happen.

fandango
    Free Member

A thoroughly enjoyable morning in the countryside. I have to admit the weather probably did influence me a bit. As for walking the first climb, it was a nice time to say hello to others. Only did the 50k this year as it was my first event and to be honest, I’d have quite happily stayed at 25k and just demolished the cake 🙂
    Many thanks to the people of Winchcombe!

mikemorini
    Free Member

As others have said a lovely day in the countryside. kudos to the bloke who did it with his son on a trailerbike, must have made the descents entertaining.
    Also does anyone know if the young lad who came off his cx bike at one of the fords, before the feed stop, was ok. Looked like he went down pretty hard.

mboy
    Free Member

There was a right turn just after the ford – one of the ones I managed to call after some riders who had missed it. The ford was certainly cooling around the nether regions

That’s where it started to go wrong for me Peter. Head down, chasing someone down through the Ford, only he missed the sign and I followed him! D’oh!

No GXP, just followed the signs and map; did shout after a few riders who missed signs, head down arse up. I don’t go fast enough myself Mark

I’m not that quick, I just know where to fight my battles. Events like HONC suit me as they’re quite a mix, no severely steep climbing, technical enough to make a bit of time up in some places and road sections where I can smash out 20+mph on the cross bike when needed…

Just seen that I averaged 52km/h on the 2km long section from Roel Gate towards Guiting, joint fastest on the day… Makes me feel slightly better at least!

Next year, a CX bike with a Triple chainset and an 11-36 cassette for sure… With my 36/46 and 11-36 I struggled up a couple of climbs (got out the saddle when I had to, but then the back tyre span up) and would like to be able to spin a little more at the bottom end. But then also I was spinning out 46/11 cracking 40mph at times…

Dasha
    Free Member

I thoroughly enjoyed it other than the bone shaking sections; think short travel xc MTB next year.
    Managed 100k in 5.12 in the end, but had tore my legs off yesterday on our club-run; under-estimated how tough it would be to be fair.

iain65
    Free Member

Great day out, got the whole family round today, I took my 12 year old with me and we completed the 50k in just over 4 hours with mum and eldest in at 3 and a half. I thought the signage was good and organisation worked well.

Pleased the kids are on holiday today as they are knackered!

Definitely a few proud dad moments yesterday and more enjoyable than chasing a good time on the 100k on my own!

DanW
    Free Member

Could any locals advise if the routes are doable away from the event, mainly from a rights of way point of view?

I have just followed the 50km route from a Garmin upload on an OS map and it seems to be all fine besides a footpath just off the first off road section past Spoonley Farm, then another footpath section over Cleeve Common. I’m guessing the 100km route also takes in some footpaths although I haven’t checked yet.

Would it be best to detour around these areas away from the event if visiting the area or are they well tolerated for loner on a MTB? 😀

Alex

My mate Graeme did his collarbone! I decided to spend the day riding dusty trails in the FoD instead, but feel a bit bad now as it was his first HONC and I was going to show him round.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it, my first HONC, only did the 50K but wished I’d gone for the 100 when I finished as I had plenty left in the tank.

Oh and anyone blaming the event organisers for going the wrong way should look a little closer to home. Every turn is signed, you get a GPX file and a marked map. No excuses, keep your eyes peeled next time! 😀

grahamh
    Free Member
    boltonjon

Great HONC event – 3rd time in as many years and the best weather by far

the sign posting is as expected of an event like this – got a little bit lost, but not the end of the world

Completed the 100km on a 160mm travel bike with 2.7″ tyres – which made it really difficult 🙂

Great mix of people, bikes and abilities – lots of wonderful cake and far too many bananas

Much easier than last years epic mud plug – but that was on rigid singlespeed – that was really brutal

Thanks for the photo link above 🙂

Fantombiker

I don’t understand or agree with all the criticism of the signs or course. The organisers sent GPX files in advance, they gave everyone a coloured OS map, put hundreds of signs out, and had lots of marshalls.

What more can they do?

I used the GPX file, and apart from one section which we were told about in the briefing, it was correct.

mrmo
    Free Member

Could any locals advise if the routes are doable away from the event, mainly from a rights of way point of view?

the last decent is in theory off limits… I have ridden it for the last 20+ years and never had an issue, but it is technically a footpath. If you want to be totally legal there is an alternative decent into Winchcombe that turns off about a mile or so futher north, a bit more gravel on that one and less flat at the end.

Hells

Another HONC under my belt, 7th time out for me and first time I did any more than the 50 km route! First half of the 50 & second half of the 100.
    Lots of friendly banter from the other riders. Definitely caught the sun yesterday as well!
    Can’t say I had any problems with either the GPX file or the signs, except where they seemed to be missing in Lower Slaughter.
    Thanks to the organisers for another great event. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘2014 HONC’ is closed to new replies.