Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2014 fox 32 ctd vs 2015 reba RL solo
  • DT78
    Free Member

In 29er flavour. Anyone ridden both? Is the Reba an upgrade or similar?

iainc

Not directly, however I have a 2015 fox 32 CTD (27.5) on Anthem and a 2013 Reba RL solo (26) on Soul. The Reba is in top order, recently serviced and I’d say the Fox is plusher. The Reba is better on big lumps and uses the full 120mm travel, whereas the Fox rarely gets into the last 15mm.

Not much in it.

iainc

I thought you’d get more replies !

DT78
    Free Member

🙂 sadly as it is a question about mountain biking, these days its not really of interest.

I should have started a thread about politics or road wheels.

Thanks for your reply…doesn’t sound like there is much in it to bother upgrading – may as well just get a service for the 32s.

I don’t think many people fit noodles to the front of their bike anymore is probably more to the point. Are the 32’s not unbearably twangy in 29 flavour?

DT78
    Free Member

Noodles? They feel fine to me, as they are on a scott scale for XC racing I think they do great for the weight and what they are used for. Just wondering if a newer reba was worth a look, given you can pick them up for around £250 –

I’ve got an old school nomad with coil pikes for when I want to be rad to the max fluoro enduro, or AM, as it was called when I bought it….

iainc

In the smaller wheel sizes I wouldn’t say the Reba is an upgrade IMO

Kryton57

I’ve been flirting with the idea of buying a “fast black” Reba 120 for my anthem 29er – which I race – also to replace the Float 100 CTD.

There’s nothing wrong with my Foxes either I do get all the travel, I’d be doing it to make my anthem more of a “trail centre” capable machine instead of buying a Segment / Codiene for example.

My investigations revealed only that the seals are the main differentiation – the RS seals are harder and therefore last longer but you get slightly less small bump sensitivity as a result, less exaggerated the bigger the air chamber you go. The Foxes are softer and therefore feel more plush over the small bumps, but will need replacing more often – I’ve just replaced mine for the first time which really is a 30 minute job at home.

Unless you want extra travel, I’d say leave it and spend £20 on a new seal kit.

iainc

Kryton, very interesting. I have the Fox CTD 120’s on my Anthem SX and the Reba 120’s on a Soul. Very different bikes, with the Anthem/Fox understandably a lot more ‘fun’ on trail centre stuff, with a great tendancy to hop off stuff which the Soul stays planted on. Small bump sensitivty is certainly better on the Fox – I do mainly natural rooty stuff, which is a lot plusher with the Fox than the Reba, but again it’s on a clever FS rather than a steel HT…

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks Kryton, thats really useful, the foxes have gone a little ‘hard’ and lost that small bump travel so it was a toss up between a service and just upgrading. I’m also being swayed by the black stanchions of the reba to go with the black frame 🙂

Can’t say I’ve serviced forks before, but I’ve managed to build a couple of sets of wheels and build a few frames up so its the next thing to learn for the home mechanic.

In fact I’ve got an old set of rebas on the hack which i could practice on first

Jason
    Free Member

Having used Rockshox forks for years I have started to go off the Solo ones. My wife bought a set of Reba Solo forks year or so ago. The air chamber failed after a couple of rides, losing all pressure and blowing the left fork seal off, all sorted out by SRAM under warrenty. I have just returned a new set of Sids that failed in the same way on the 2nd ride. CRC offered a refund on these. And then we were riding at the weekend and the seal on my wife’s Reba fork popped off again. Never had any problems with the dual air ones (I have several sets) but the solo ones seem to have some issues.

Kryton57

op, here’s my recent thread which lead me to buy the kit and DIY. I am a very hamfisted mechanic and I’ve managed it easily in 30 minutes, probably faster next time(its just the seals and foam rings every six months or so)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oil-suddenly-appearing-on-fox-fork-stantions

If you google there are loads of videos about it, take your time and watch a few, then just take your time having a go at it.

FWIW my fork with new seals feels plusher (garden test only) than before, but this could be the placebo effect of course 🙂

devash
    Free Member

Having used Rockshox forks for years I have started to go off the Solo ones. My wife bought a set of Reba Solo forks year or so ago. The air chamber failed after a couple of rides, losing all pressure and blowing the left fork seal off, all sorted out by SRAM under warrenty. I have just returned a new set of Sids that failed in the same way on the 2nd ride. CRC offered a refund on these. And then we were riding at the weekend and the seal on my wife’s Reba fork popped off again. Never had any problems with the dual air ones (I have several sets) but the solo ones seem to have some issues.

I’d have to second this. I really don’t like my 2013 solo air Rebas. They’ve been back to SRAM once which was something to do with the lowers. Received back after nearly 2 months and they were fine for a couple of rides then went awful again. Very dull, lifeless forks.

jairaj

Depending on which Fox damper you have Factory, Performance or Evolution they could be comparable or the Fox could be better.

The RL is Rock Shox’s basic damper, you have rebound adjust and low speed compression adjustment to lockout.

If you have a basic CTD damper (ie non-adjust) then you have rebound adjustment and a three level low speed compression adjustment, open, mid, lockout. The factory damper will add CTD-adjust (5 levels of compression in trail mode) and the FIT damper.

The RL is comparable with performance and evolution versions while I’d say the factory is better.

If you are happy with the way Fox perform (some people didn’t like the characteristics of older fox forks) I’d just service them, lower leg service is easy to do your self and there are loads of guides and videos on the web.

If you want to upgrade the damping as Mojo to see if you can get the new RC2 damper fitted in your forks. This is the same damper as in the highly regarded new float 36s.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2014 fox 32 ctd vs 2015 reba RL solo’ is closed to new replies.