Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WALES (v France): Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, George North, Jamie Roberts, Liam Williams, Rhys Priestland, Rhys Webb; Gethin Jenkins, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (Capt), Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ken Owens; Paul James, Rhodri Jones, Jake Ball, Justin Tipuric, Mike Phillips, Dan Biggar, James Hook.

Spikey dropped, which isn’t really a surprise.

North v Bastareaud in the centres? Bish, bash, bosh! I suspect George is a little more agile, though.

French referee, though. 😉

Also, a Welsh rugby/beer PSA – Sainsburys appear to be doing bottles of SA or Rev James for one pound and twenty nine pennies.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also, Tesco, instead of the usual 3 for a fiver, are doing lots at 4 for £6. Beer we come!

anagallis_arvensis

Liam Williams and Rhys Webb are nowhere near as good as Phillips and Hook, thats just plain stupid. Front five get mashed and flankers go awol and Wales drop the scrum half. It was ever thus!
    Basteraud is broken isnt he? Fickou v North fills me with dread far more than a fat lad running straight at him.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Basteraud is fit

FRANCE (v Wales): Brice Dulin; Yoann Huget, Mathieu Bastereaud, Wesley Fofana, Hugo Bonneval; Jules Plisson, Jean-Marc Doussain; Thomas Domingo, Dimitri Szarzewski, Nicolas Mas, Pascal Pape (capt), Yoann Maestri, Yannick Nyanga, Wenceslas Lauret, Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Brice Mach, Yannick Forestier, Vincent Debaty, Sebastien Vahaamahina, Damien Chouly, Maxime Machenaud, Remi Tales, Gael Fickou

anagallis_arvensis

France by 12

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

French team announcement, tres chic, non?

Kryton57

I’m cheering for Wales 😕

DanW
    Free Member

Liam Williams and Rhys Webb are nowhere near as good as Phillips and Hook, thats just plain stupid. Front five get mashed and flankers go awol and Wales drop the scrum half. It was ever thus! Fickou v North fills me with dread far more than a fat lad running straight at him.

What a_a said 😕

duckman

I really,really rate fickou,he will be a real test of North’s credentials. Mind you,North is pretty special. The joy of watching a game as a neutral….( welsh wife not about)

anagallis_arvensis

Luckily for us Fickou isnt starting as Basteraud is fit. ( watch Basteraud play a blinder now I’ve said that!)

boxfish
    Free Member

Shaun Edwards will be leaving an assortment of pies and cakes on the touchline so as to distract the big French fella.

anagallis_arvensis

Wilson starts for england, Ford on bench.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

boxfish – Member
    Shaun Edwards will be leaving an assortment of pies and cakes on the touchline so as to distract the big French fella.

😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Gatland is making a statement by dropping Spikey Mikey, Gatland is the Boss.

Hope its a good game but hate 6N games being on a Friday night

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hope its a good game but hate 6N games being on a Friday night

Agreed. Especially at 2000hrs. I understand why it’s that late, to get people to the ground etc, but it’s not the right time to be playing them. To be honest, I prefer them all to be on a Saturday afternoon, as per the final day, but I can understand the Sunday game idea. Friday games? No thanks.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ireland unchanged for Sat

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 51
    14. Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) 52
    13. Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) 130
    12. Gordon D’Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 76
    11. Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster) 4
    10. Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92) 40
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 24
    1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 44
    2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 72
    3. Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster) 36
    4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 12
    5. Paul O’Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 89 capt
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 21
    7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster) 11
    8. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) 62

Replacements

16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 32
    17. Jack McGrath (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 5
    18. Martin Moore (Lansdowne/Leinster) 2
    19. Iain Henderson (Ballinahinch/Ulster) 7
    20. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster)*
    21. Isaac Boss (Terenure College/Leinster) 19
    22. Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) 7
    23. Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 23

loum
    Free Member

Almost.
    Jordi Murphy’s in 🙂

Maybe a bit unfair on Tommy O’Donnell who let no-one down but he’s a great young player.
    Mini SOB

duckman

Can somebody send me a link to the rugby drinking game. I am going up to crianlarich tomorrow night to do some climbing,but since the MWIS is suggesting that Sat’s weather will consist of rain low/snow high and the wind is 35-50 gusting 70 and strengthening during the day 😯 Another diversion will obviously be needed.

tinybits
    Free Member

England team’s up,

Fatman Wilson in to replace Cole. Nothing wrong with the Bath scrum, but shows how bare the cupboard is that a man with 25mins playing time in 2 months is starting! If he lasts the first half I’ll be surprised.

Ford set to come in at some point, had to happen so better now than at a later date. He’s kept Farrell out of FH at all age levels and can actually run and make plays, but I’m still worried he’ll be too small for international rugby, and we’ll see a massive attack in that channel, without Barrett in there to cover for him.

loum
    Free Member

If he scrums well he’ll have done his job.
    IMO, England could afford a passenger with the rest of their pack, second and back rows are like a machine when they get going. and TBH, I reckon they miss Corbs more than Cole now.
    Really looking forward to this weekends’ games. I quite like the Friday night starter when it’s a “neutral” game. Set’s up a good weekend and I’m more likely to get time to watch it than two consecutive w/end days.
    But to be honest, it does seem to involve the Welsh most often so can understand why some of their fans wouldn’t.

anagallis_arvensis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26257162

a sad sad story and will be repeated with wales in five-ten years

BlindMelon
    Free Member

So your predictions for this weekend please.

Wales by 5
    Scotland by 10
    Ireland by 3

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

France by ten
    Italy by five
    Ireland by five

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

France by two scores
    England by one score.
    Italy by less than a score. Scotland will score a try though.

Kryton57

Like the french game,I think England will be behind in the first half after losing a try to the Irish forwards, yet make a winning comeback in the second.

I’ve got 50p on Burrell tackling BoD and BoD going off injured before 50 mins is up.

I’ve also got 50p on Lawes & Hartley and later giving the Irish pack something coming forward at them they haven’t seen in the 6n so far. And its this that determines the game IMO – if the English pack shock Ireland first half the games ours and vice versa.

loum
    Free Member

Bookies have Wales, Italy and England as favourites; my 50p is going on France, Scotland, Ireland this week.

I’ve got 50p on Burrell tackling BoD and BoD going off injured before 50 mins is up.

That’s how Williams lost his pocket money last time out. And the use of his shoulder, the dirty cheating b. 😉

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Hope its an each way bet Kryton, look what happened thon Welsh boyo when he tried to shoulder charge BOD.

The forward battle is going to be huge and you are correct it will determine the result. Heaslip needs to have a big game against Vunipola and the ruck is where it will be determined. Scrum and line out should be fairly even unless Wilson goes off early.

A word on BOD since he will be the joint most capped tomorrow. Quite a career given the abuse his body has taken. The best ever? Certainly up there but for me it was Jackie Kyle, just awesome.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thanks loum, nice article. I used to work for a travel company and I booked Jackie Kyle out to NZ for the 2005 Lions tour. He was great company and had many stories to tell. One of the most humble men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Kryton57

Blind melon I agree. I think Vunipola vs Heaslip that Billy is the winner. However Ireland win the 7 battle, England the 5 battle, 4 and 6 and 2 is evens. Sexton needs to have a good game and we need to be in his face, I wasn’t suggesting foul play at all but Burrell needs to neutralise BoD and 36 could by a key player in undoing the Irish defence.

Mike Brown should and perhaps is the difference vs Kearney if we can get runners around him.

It’s sure got a lot if promise and although I’m a staunch England supporter and if both team okay well, if Ireland win I shall applaud them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

[Couldn’t notice Eve Muirhead’s comments about the men’s curling final – ” the Canadians wanted it more!” 😉 but what would she know, she’s only an Olympic medalist. Is she dating PO’M?]

Looking forward to what should be the weekend of the tournament. More relaxed tonight (c’mon wales), but tomorrow will be tense!

anagallis_arvensis

France by 12
    England by 6
    Italy by 3

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey guys have “some” faith – this is a home match and crappy old England almost beat them in Paris and you are much better than we are. 😉

boxfish
    Free Member

Wales by 2
    Ireland by 3
    Italy by 2

Edit: so 3 close games then!

anagallis_arvensis

THM have you seen wales play recently. Rumour mill states that AW Jones is injured too!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ta for the link loum. Really nice piece that.

wiggles
    Free Member

Getting a bit excited/nervous now, not 100% in agreement with gatlands choices but the french have a few players with only a few caps so we will see how it goes.

Gutted AW Jones is out as well

anagallis_arvensis

Cometh the hour cometh the beard! Massive step up for him though.

anagallis_arvensis

1/2p looks like he’s spent the week in a crack den, captain Sam looks worried!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Sam looks like he’s heading to the gallows. Good luck Wales

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.