Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Duckman, it was a bizarre article, or perhaps strictly speaking an unnecessarily inflammatory headline. This seems to be a trend even in the broadsheets these days. Very poor. I think someone needs to remind Hayward where Scotland finished last year, and you seemed to be struggling to score tries then! Ok they/you are having a cauchemare at the moment, but that was a silly headline IMO.

————————————————————————-

PLEASE PLAY NICELY OR THIS THREAD WILL BE CLOSED. Mod

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I didn’t even kick it down the street. Back safe and sound.

A few days off, then back to the grind.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Scotland’s problem is the coach. Some very strange decisions including dropping Brown and taking Denton off early.

Just spotted this 😆

anagallis_arvensis

Nice to see them finally win something important to them!!! If you get a grand slam this season how many would that be? 😆

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’m not going to get carried away AA. I don’t think anyone will win a slam. Its going to go to the last weekend and 4 teams will be in the mix.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m not going to get carried away AA. I don’t think anyone will win a slam. Its going to go to the last weekend and 4 teams will be in the mix.

France, England, Ireland and ?????????? I appreciate your sympathy but being honest Wales fans have had a good run in recent years and it appears to be coming to an end.

Kryton57

BlindMelon – Member
    I’m not going to get carried away AA. I don’t think anyone will win a slam. Its going to go to the last weekend and 4 3 teams will be in the mix.

I think this too FWIW. Although England / Ireland is the game to watch. If Ireland sneak a win it could set up a french GS, as usual by them not being the best team in the tournament. I can’t wait to watch this England side on a firm pitch, I think they’ve found a balance in the team at last and IMO Lancaster should retain these these players and let them Gel.

But will Italy beat Scotland – I think they think they can, that’d be a good game as well.

anagallis_arvensis

If Ireland sneak a win it could set up a french GS, as usual by them not being the best team in the tournament.

its always a non-vintage year when England don’t win 😆

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Treviso have confirmed they intend to pull out of Pro12 at the end of this season. Likely the Italians will have their own league of 8 teams.

duckman

They have been paying a fortune to participate in the rabo,which is in no way vfm.

anagallis_arvensis

Can the welsh leave too please?

vondally
    Free Member

I think Italy will hammer the Scots, the Italian pack played well yesterday, the front row stood up and sent back the French Scotland have no chance in that department.

Italians front row in the open made serious yards as did second row, Scotland cannot braek the gain line.

Italian backrow is far more cohesive than Scots Denton will play like a Trojan but not clicking with fellow back rowers

neither backrows really connect with 9 & 10 through Italians shade it with scrum half………Tommaso Allen is a better 10 than Weir in fact as said before play Doddie Weir and you have more chance

Italians backs are doing well, Cammaso (2 tries against the welsh) looks a good developing player as did the wingers,

penalty kicking will be interesting

big factor is it is Rome

Really want Scotland to be back in there, playing like the scots I recall and played against wild marauding scrounging mean forwards with backs who when they got the ball and had not died from hypothermia could run and jinx, sell a dummy pass and score.

The malaise of the game is size of the players and ‘bash ball’ storming hulks. Sacking Johnson is only part of it, it is where is the money invested and player growth anddevlopment.

Forfana should have the team built around him and be released when the french came alive and passed the ball outstanding, Bastardeau (spelling sorry) should be banished from memory, comedy pronucations replacement and who looks a good player Fickou should be in.

Wales surprised at how inept they were.

Ireland England……O Mahoney player of the tournament so far, been excellent and I can see that game being close England to win,

ElVino

Scott Johnson a pretty useless coach, when he was at Ospreys I used to look at his team and genuinely fear them as a Munster fan, he should have won a Heineken Cup with that team.
    The Scottish team still have the players to upset a few teams especially at home. I would actually say each of the last 3 Scottish coaches have been numpties. Vern Cotter is a different story and I will be really surprised if they are not a different proposition next season

Pigface
    Free Member

I am going to watch the Cornish Pirates play London Welsh on Sunday, will be a bit of a trek and I have no idea about the quality of the game but it will be fun I am sure.

duckman

Pirates are one of those teams you just want to do well….Although in this case our principal Welsh correspondent may disagree! Did pirates not get a cease and desist a few years ago from the AB’s?

BruceWee

Actually, I don’t think Weir is shit. All this talk of dropping him is very premature. In fact, believe it or not, I reckon SJ is doing the right thing by giving him a decent run of games, something he hasn’t had either at Glasgow or Edinburgh. Jackson has had so many chances over the years and had just enough good games to stay in contention. He’s 26 years old (today incidentally, Happy Birthday Ruaridh). If you haven’t become a decent stand off at that age then I’m sorry but I don’t think it’s going to happen.

Weir is 22 years old and still has potential but not if he doesn’t get the game time. He had a bit of a nightmare on Saturday but then who didn’t. Don’t say Denton, he didn’t. Weir’s kicking game has always been solid and this year he has started to show that he has a lot more to offer. We didn’t get a chance to see that on Saturday because he was following the coach’s game plan. If he’s afraid of losing his place to Jackson then I can see why he’d be reluctant to go against his coach and play the game the way his instincts tell him to.

As far as Denton goes I really don’t see what he did that was so special. A lot is being made of his 12 carries for 57m for an average of 4.7m per carry. That doesn’t tell the whole story. At least three of his carries were returns from kicks so they were 10-20 meters which ups his average quite a bit. The rest he ran into a defender on the gain line. It would take one or two players to bring him down where the ball would either be recycled (slowly) or turned over. If you don’t make any yards and don’t draw in any more defenders then how does that improve the situation for his team. He had 12 carries, no clean breaks, 1 defender beaten, and 1 turnover. In contrast Beattie had 5 carries, 1 clean break, 2 defenders beaten, and 1 turnover. I don’t normally like using ESPN stats but all the papers are using Denton’s 57m for 12 carries stat so why shouldn’t I. I like Denton but Beattie is better and should have started.

The fact is that there are very few players in that team who haven’t played very well at some point for club or country. It’s either the tactics or the coaching that’s letting them down. That falls squarely at the feet of SJ and his mates. And tbh I don’t even blame him all that much. He never really wanted the coaching job and has said repeatedly that his main goal is to give Cotter the best options for when he arrives. He’s never claimed to be the best man for the job so I can’t blame him for not delivering the results I want to see.

Edit: Just to add, I think the real architects of this years cluster **** is the SRU for many many reasons but I can’t be arsed listing them.

anagallis_arvensis

I agree Bruce when the pack is rinsed the half backs always look bad.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I see Guscott is calling for Spikey to be dropped, he must be a 1D fan.

Bruce I agree to a certain extent about Weir but I think SJ has to take the bulk of the blame for the way the team are being asked to play, or not play, and the lack of direction. Too many simple errors are being made. It seems like he doesn’t really give a crap cause he will still get paid and next season he can blame someone else for piss poor performances.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Pretty fair assessment Bruce. I agree Weir should be given a longer run in the team. From what i have seen of him I dont think Tommaso Allen would have been the answer either. He played for Perpginan v Edinburgh and Greig Tonks looked the better of the two 10s and he was only playing it for the 3rd time at that level.

Unfortuantely I think we only have 3 players with the skills and ability to change a match Hogg, Beattie and Scott who i think should start every game if fit. In saying that i don’t think Scott should have started the last match he has only played 3 games this season.

Hopefully Cotter will bring some direction and a game plan the players are capable of executing…assuming he turns up having seen what is in store for him.

anagallis_arvensis

I see Guscott is calling for Spikey to be dropped, he must be a 1D fan.

for whom, petulence aside I thought he was one of the few able to hold his heax after that game. Any other wslsh 9 would have been totally deztroyed give the shit ball he was served and the breakdown mess in front of him. The entird pack should be the ones with their heads on the block.

BruceWee
    BlindMelon
    Free Member

Yeah at least he looked interested. If I were Gatland I’d drop lydiate and Jenkins, bring in Tips, move Warb to 6 and start Paul James.

anagallis_arvensis

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/26156018
    Scott Williams out for three months. 🙁 Gives Gatland the opportunity rush back.another injured player with almost now gametime since November…. Come in Davies your time is up.

DanW
    Free Member

I would have said Weir is the best 10 Scotland have to chose from at the moment(I guess like most people here seem to think) and don’t really get the criticism he’s been facing. He might not set the international rugby world alight but he looks to be the better option. Let’s face it, Sexton is probably the best 10 in the NH and hardly stands out as being amazing either (who does beside Carter and perhaps Steyn or Cooper on their very best days). The other 10’s before him recently for Scotland have been entirely uninspiring and at least Weir looks solid in defense too which is probably the main requirement for fly half behind a mediocre pack! 😀

ijs445ra
    Free Member

In amongst all the Welsh rugby gloom some very good news

Matthew Rees clear of cancer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26160733

anagallis_arvensis

Thats great, hope he returns as strong as before a top class player!

anagallis_arvensis

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/26160190

game going soft and why did they get the same the italian started and put in a few punches too.

Kryton57

Omsk!

Is he as drunk as I am?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@CFH he’s clearly the sort of deluded optimist who’s been working on the Yes vote manifesto.

vondally
    Free Member

CFH……….saw that and put tenner on 😉

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Dodson is also CEO of SDFA (Scottish deep frying association) he got speeches mixed up. We are also going to be healthy by 3078

duckman

Its all relative,at the end of the day we will win just as many WC’s as the master race next year. His claims were widely ridiculed here last year,but now with the wee jockbitchfest going on in the english media ( times at it again yesterday) it is worthy of bringing up again.

duckman

New European format to be announced today.To quote the Talking Heads

“Same as it ever was.”
    Basically 6/7 from France and England and 7 from rabo,one from each of the Celtic countries,unsure if Italy are a Celtic country. Second tier to remain and new bowl for smaller countries.

anagallis_arvensis

thankfully no further announcements Duckman.
    Credit where due great first half from Rhys Webb v Trviso

ElVino

Dan Cole ruled out for rest of 6N, who is next in line for a call up?

anagallis_arvensis

Thats a blow he was really playing well, I was wondering if him being good now but shit in the summer and Adam being the reverse is related to time spent preparing for the new engage rules. Any prop experts care to give an opinion. The bath fella is the next cab off the rank I expect

tinybits
    Free Member

Then you didn’t watch fat man Wilson play against Exeter. Like a prop of old, walking from set piece to set piece after 25mins. In fairness, he’s just back from injury.

Oh, and Coles scrummaging isn’t anything like as powerful as last season, his loose play is still great however.

Pigface
    Free Member

I thought Cole has been poor in the scrum but then I know sod all about front row play 😆

anagallis_arvensis

Then you didn’t watch fat man Wilson play against Exeter. Like a prop of old, walking from set piece to set piece after 25mins. In fairness, he’s just back from injury.

I didnt know that, whats the fat south african coke head up to these days and more importantly how was Gavin looking 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.