Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • anagallis_arvensis

I think the wru playing games and sam is their lap dog. Blues are notable by their absence of commenr. WRU say they “intend” to have him.play for Blues. Odd that AW didnt sign one or 1/2p, wonder what Adam will do.

Pigface
    Free Member

From what I know Adam is a homebod, I think he will sign with the Ospreys not the WRU, well that’s what I want to happen

duckman

Fair enough,you would think that getting the lions skip would be worth a wee press release. If there is no love for him in Cardiff,we will take him; no questions asked.

anagallis_arvensis

Its not him as such its who he has sided with but then being Wales captain he was in a tough position. I thik AW signing for the ospreys was a two fingered salute to the blazers. Th rumour is that the wru were telling team wales players not to sign club contracts but wait for central contracts to increase the pressure on the clubs during the autumn games. Halfpenny going to Toulon is a big **** you to the wru too.

anagallis_arvensis

I also wonder if Sam would pass the medical for anyone else.

anagallis_arvensis

anagallis_arvensis

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ireland’s 34-man squad to play Scotland and Wales: Forwards: Rory Best (Ulster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues)*, Sean Cronin (Leinster), Cian Healy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Chris Henry (Ulster), Mike McCarthy (Leinster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Martin Moore (Leinster)*, Jordi Murphy (Leinster)*, Paul O’Connell (Munster), Tommy O’Donnell (Munster), Peter O’Mahony (Munster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Rhys Ruddock (Leinster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Dan Tuohy (Ulster).
    Backs: Darren Cave (Ulster), Gordon D’Arcy (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster), Rob Keaney (Leinster), David Kearney (Leinster), Ian Madigan (Leinster), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Brian O’Driscoll (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92), Andrew Trimble (Ulster).

Disappointed that Zebo has been excluded other than that no big surprises. 18 from Leinster though?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surprised he’s not been included. I wonder if he’s not quite 100% yet? No Gilroy either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surprised he’s not been included. I wonder if he’s not quite 100% yet?

That’s the only possible explanation. If fit, he deserves to be there.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Unless something has happened in training, he has had as much game time, if not more, than McFadden recently. None of the wingers in the squad are exactly the quickest or most creative.

Gilroy has been in pretty poor form for Ulster recently so I can see why Trimble would be included over him.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

You have Luke Fitzgerald who, last HC match, Stuart Barnes said was up there among the top NH wingers with the likes of George North…so he must be good 😀

anagallis_arvensis

What sort of starting 15 you guys expecting?
    Gethin out for first game but I reckon we knew that anyway.
    Warbs may or may not have a warm.up game. I wonder if the blues would pick him?

anagallis_arvensis

Jake Ball added to Wales squad. Would like to see him get a bench spot

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Agreed a_a JB looks like he’s turning into a cracking player. Imagine he’s has the type of attitude to seize his opportunity too.

bruk

For those Scots amongst us. And anyone else who wants to watch a wee bit of old style rugby.

Scottish grand slam 1984

I was there the French game. As a 10 year old boy I failed to see the winning try because I was sat in the stands with my dad and all these blokes jumped up an I was too short to see. Brilliant game though.

duckman

I was at all the home games that year,in the old schoolboy seats down at the front 🙂 After that l gravitated to the standing areas behind the post as you could drink without the rocksteady stasi being able to stop you. ( l was a couple of years older then)

BlindMelon
    Free Member

What sort of starting 15 you guys expecting?

Leinster and a couple from Munster and Ulster

Healy
    Best
    Ross
    POC
    McCarthy
    POM
    Henry
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    McFadden
    Darcy
    BOD
    Fitzgerald
    Kearney

McGrath
    Cronin
    Moore
    Toner
    Henderson
    Reddan
    Madigan
    Kearney

ElVino

I think Mcgrath will start instead of Ross and Toner instead of McCarthy to combat Scots lineout, otherwise probably spot on, harsh on some of the Ulster backs

BlindMelon
    Free Member

McGrath is a LH, Moore is Th but I think he will see a lot of game time. They will ship Ross off around the 45 min mark. Good point about Toner and the line out, I’d say you are right there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hovis on the bench, otherwise a strong looking side
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25912546

WALES (v Italy): Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), George North (Northampton Saints); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro);

Paul James (Bath), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, capt), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (NG Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Andrew Coombs (NG Dragons), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

anagallis_arvensis

I would prefer Biggar over Priestland and would like to see Samson Lee on the bench with Jake Ball. Other than that it was all good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Samson Lee = LEGEND!

Not ‘shopped!

Albanach
    Free Member

Having seen the advertisement for the 1984 Scotland grand slam programme I’ve got a lot of old match day programmes going back to the 84 France game at Murrayfield – is there a market for these thing?

Pigface
    Free Member

Priestland ??????? FFS 😥

tiggs121
    Free Member

I’d have had Biggar in front of Priestland. Otherwise a strong Taffy team.

They might miss Gethin against better opposition.

ElVino

BlindMelon – Member
    McGrath is a LH, Moore is Th but I think he will see a lot of game time. They will ship Ross off around the 45 min mark. Good point about Toner and the line out, I’d say you are right there.

Sorry I meant Martin Moore, great to see so many young Irish props given where we were 2 years ago

DanW
    Free Member

Samson Lee…. happiest when… “playin wid ma balls” 😀

Just watched the Saxons/ Wolfhounds highlights- Burns had a few shocking moments. I don’t know how he managed to pass the ball in to the linesman’s face rather than go over in the corner.

Also, what is the feeling in Ireland about Boss? Whenever I’ve seen him play in the Rabo he seemed to control games pretty well and often be the difference between two sides. Is the general feeling that he is talented but lacks the extra something to make his mark at full internationals?

anagallis_arvensis

Jesus BOD change the record!
    Paul James is a very good replacement for Gethin

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not that anyone’s actual words that come out of the mouth would ever mean anything…but y’know, just in case…

The former Ireland captain’s focus is on Sunday’s opening Six Nations match against Scotland and, while he repeated his sense of disappointment over being dropped for the Lions’ third Test in Australia, he moved to play down the controversy that is set to reign next week.

No matter what, the media and public will revisit the issue of the New Zealander’s decision next week, but the protagonists are doing their best to dampen the hype.

“That’s why I’m here this week,” he smiled when asked about whether he can avoid the issue next week after the Wales coach did his part at the Six Nations launch last week by preaching calm.

“I don’t really pay that much attention. What happened happened, I don’t have any ill will towards Warren. It was raw at the time, but time heals wounds and I don’t have any animosity towards him.

“I just want to be involved in a team that can beat his team, but that’s next week. I can’t get into different team’s mentality, but they’ve Italy this week and I’m sure they’re focused on that.”

I think it’s some others who need to change their records.

anagallis_arvensis

He needs some lessons from AW on how to do interviews!
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk1jg9k2dEY[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

I note the england selectors have made the massive error of dropping the world class wing play redefinning wonder winger Chris Ashton. I expect him to foce his way back in for the Wales game so he can man mark George North out of the game.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Scotland team to face Ireland:

Forwards: Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors) Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) Jim Hamilton (Montpellier) Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) Kelly Brown (Saracens, capt) David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby)

Backs: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors) Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) Duncan Taylor (Saracens) Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors) Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby)

Replacements: Pat MacArthur (Glasgow Warriors) Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby)Richie Gray (Castres) Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier) Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors) Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby)Max Evans (Castres).

Pretty happy with the selection i assume Scott/Hogg to cover 10. Would have liked to see Beattie starting instead of Denton and Scott to start if he had had more game time following injury

Scamper
    Free Member

BOD could have used much less emotive language ie “the important thing is the Lions won a test series, which I’m grateful and pleased to have played a part” etc etc.

Any how, I see England have dropped Ash the Splash and brought in some Gloucester pace.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

BOD could have used much less emotive language ie “the important thing is the Lions won a test series, which I’m grateful and pleased to have played a part” etc etc.

What was emotive about what he said? Do you think maybe he gets cheesed off with always being asked about it?

Scamper
    Free Member

Well, compare what he could have said with what he actually said,”what is done is done” “raw at the time” “time heals wounds” “I just want to be involved in a team which beats his”. Hardly a straight bat in interview speak.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tbf Scamper, you’re just putting words into quotes out of context.

It seemed entirely reasonable to me, when I read the whole story and the questions he asked. Seems people just want him to say what they want to hear. About the most emotive thing he said was “I just want to be involved in a team which beats his” which when read out of context does seem a bit strong, but when read alongside the questions everyone keeps asking and in between what he said before and after, it’s just fine. He was left out of the last Lions test of his career…what should he say?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DD, as you can imagine, I was largely fishing for a reaction by posting that! 🙂 The piece that stuck most for me was this, however;

I just want to be involved in a team which beats his

(My emphasis)

Not, note, a team which beats Wales, but making it a personal thing. OK, maybe I’m reading waaay too much in to that, and I probably am, but I’d just love to see him avoid it completely.

Scamper
    Free Member

He should have said what spin doctor scamper suggested above. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.