Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • anagallis_arvensis

Jambalaya not taking Hook, Priestland or Biggar on the Lions tour (Priestland was injured anywa doesnt mean anything in relation to Ford, Myler and 36 being poor back up to Farrel at ten for england. Ford could be good but the other twao will never be international tens.

wrecker
    Free Member

And neither will priestland, hook or biggar!

anagallis_arvensis

Well one is a lion with a grand slam under his belt, another has a grand slam and the final one a six nations win. None will ever be more than serviceable international tens but Myler and 36( as a ten) will never be as good and have no international experience. Ford could be better but is very raw. Without Farrel England ate screwed. England are poor at bringing young talent on. Burrel is an uncapt 26 yrar old similar age to J Davis.

Scarlets front row last night was exceptional Lee, Phillips and John all under 23. Want to see Lee bench in this six nations. G Davies at 9 could be the answer as back up to Mike Phillips for wale too. As england have little behinf Farrel at ten wales have NOTHING behind Phillips

Bear
    Free Member

I’m not sure how raw Ford is. I have seen him play a couple of times now and he controlled the game very well.
    He is extremely dedicated and works very hard at his game. He has been picked as cover but will probably get some game time in 6N which will help him develop. Might struggle to dispose Farrell at moment, but if he handles his game time well then he could be a real star.

So could Watson having also seen him play a few times he is a real handful. If they are good enough they are old enough.

wrecker
    Free Member

So? Dan Luger has a RWC winners medal…..
    I don’t often say this about players, but they are all shit. I also think that 36 is shit at centre and FH. Nothing wrong with myler other than his age. If you had been watching AP rugby, you’ll see he’s playing exceptionally well.
    England’s policy of neglecting young talent is long and frustrating, I hoped we’d see an end to It with SL but alas he’s just the same.

anagallis_arvensis

And Ballshaw plus hes a lion too. My point is the options for england lack experience the welsh options are better due to experience rather than a gulf in talent. Have seen Ford play for Bath he kickss lots his kicking for posts is erratic and hes part of the reason Eastmond and Joeseph have been in poor form/quiet they rarely get a pass.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Scamper, if you’re reading, plans changed again. I’m at Kingsholm today. I’ll be up on the prawn sandwich balconies. 😀

Bear
    Free Member

I’m not sure those are quite the reasons.
    I think the weather may have a big part in how teams play, don’t think there have been too many dry games this season. They are also 4 on the tries scored table so must be scoring from somewhere.
    His goal kicking has been erratic but is improving, his kicking from hand has been good and has controlled some games very well in difficult conditions.
    Obviously Gav should be playing at 10 for Bath, but he seemed quite happy the other day walking round parading the A trophy that Bath have just won…… (sorry don’t do smiley faces with a wink or whatever it is)

anagallis_arvensis

He scored a try too in the A final. Classic Gav gliding along looking slow but still got in at the corner. I am glad he looked happy. He’s playing 13 v Dregs today I think, hes a bit slow for 13. May get a chance at ten if Heathcote gets in Scotland squad.

anagallis_arvensis

This thread does need more Gav love!
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dLV0loK6VcU[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Sounds like Quims were nlucky.

duckman

Careless would be a better description TBH

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Had a great afternoon at Kingsholm. The atmosphere was, as expected, fantastic, with Munster fans travelling in big numbers. And I won a tenner in the table sweepstake having predicted a score of 22-7. 😀

Gloucester fans were never quiet during the game – and as one would expect, very gracious in defeat. They had no complaints. The welsh referee was very poor though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great result for Leinster coming from 14-0 down to get the away victory at Castres. All down to the last weekend in that group. Hopefully that’ll see Northampton exiting. 🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

And I won a tenner in the table sweepstake having predicted a score of 22-7

I thought you didn’t gamble? Or do you just not gamble when it’s against the best province in Ireland. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It was a game of skill BM. I won! 😀

(Fair comment though…but it would be bad form not to throw in a pound when everyone else is too.)

The Orangemen could do with delivering a few trophies if we’re to believe that. I think their lack of experience on the big stages tells when the pressure is on though. 🙂 Good form team on their day…but when it matters…

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Can’t have been much skill involved! Lucky guess big man.

So Munster have won one more than us many moons ago. We are the young team on the up. Whenever you are handing out 2 year deals to Donncha ‘I think I’m a winger’ O’Callaghan then you know the cupboard is bare!

This is our year! Big performance at the tigers next week to put fear in the rest of Europe.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t have been much skill involved! Lucky guess big man.

Tbh, I was the last in the circle so I was picking a Munster result that wasn’t too close to anyone else’s. Everybody else (myself included if I’d been asked earlier) was going for bigger margins. Three guys had to go Glaws. 😀

Every year seems to be Ulster’s year these days. It’s about time they delivered. Tbf to O’Callaghan, he’s merely cover these days, and Munster tend to stand by their men in the latter years of their careers. It all part of having a bit of class and pedigree. 😉

duckman

Hopefully that’ll see Northampton exiting

But Back played for tigers DD… 😀

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Munster tend to stand by their men in the latter years of their careers. It all part of having a bit of class and pedigree.

Sure give him a bus pass while they are at it. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And why wouldn’t they? I’m sure the Orangemen would look after a two Heineken Cup medal winning player as he approaches his final years as a player. If they had any.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ha ha have you seen the Seabass advert on Rugby Dump? 😆

ElVino

So Munster have won one more than us many moons ago.

I like to think that Munster have won 1.5 more European Cups than Ulster, given the lack of English opposition the year Ulster won it, also 3 league titles to your one. I do think however both of us would agree that Leinster are probably stronger than both of us at present.

As for DOC on the wing, no defending that one!

Pigface
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/aXj_oLfgaK8[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Now that is just plain odd!

anagallis_arvensis

This is him recently.[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1tfgslTnd8[/video]

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I like to think that Munster have won 1.5 more European Cups than Ulster, given the lack of English opposition the year Ulster won it, also 3 league titles to your one.

FFS we can only play whats in front of us. In 1999 we had Toulouse in our group and QF as well as Stade Francais in the SF so worthy winners. I believe Muster were also in it that year, the lack of English participants didn’t really help them out, dumped out in the QF by the team we beat in the final.

The year Muster won it for the first time, a long time after Ulster set the standard, you only had Sale in your group so don’t give me that!

You and DD will now be telling me that Deccie ‘Turnip head – king of the Blarney’ Kidney was actually a dynamic non biased coach next 😀

I do think however both of us would agree that Leinster are probably stronger than both of us at present.

No way*, they are my least favourite province, Munster are my second favourite, however I may nave to reconsider that given the way their supporters are getting on. 😀

*-Actually yeah you are right, just don’t tell the D4 latte drinkers I said that

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Chabal KO is so funny for the look of disbelief on his face when the ref calls him over. It’s like that song “I wasn’t me”. In fairness his opposite number was trying to hold him back, reminds me of a famous punch Neil Back took from a NZer, he was asked about it after the game (re potential citing) and his repsonce was “I think I might have been holding on”

George North Interview Guardian link

anagallis_arvensis

Wales squad for 2014 RBS Six Nations:
    Forwards: Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton Capt (Cardiff Blues), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets)
    Backs: Rhodri Williams (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), James Hook (Perpignan), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

some real dross in there especially at nine, only 3 centres picked 2 of whom are broken. I’d pick

James
    Hibbard
    Adam
    AW Jones
    Girafferis
    Warburton
    Tipuric
    Faletau
    Phillips
    Biggar
    North
    Roberts (if fit)
    S Williams
    Cuthbert
    1/2p

Gethin (if fit, if not anyone but Bevington)
    Owens
    Lee
    Evans
    R Jones
    my nan as replacement 9
    Priestland
    Hook

Cement head will pick Lydiate though even if he is playing rubbish.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Spose Gatland has won a fair bit more though so most welshies myself included will put faith in him over you. Not slating your nan but Rhys (a good friend) has had a few tricky niggles but I’m sure in a year or so and given a few caps he’ll be wearing red more often! Immense talent and top lad!

anagallis_arvensis

My nan doesnt mind she’s been dead a while anyway. Rhys has looked better last few times I’ve seen him over last season better than Trebaldy anyway!
    Did you see Lydiate v Scarlets? Poor doesnt even begin to cover it and I’m a massive fan. Looks to have bulked up a lot too.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

I’m a massive massive Lydiate fan, but I have to agree with you and makes me sad to say it too but lately he has been a sack of shit. Looks slow, sluggish and disinterested. I have a sneaky feeling he’ll jack in France soon, it’s certainly not doing him any good or his battle to keep the 6 shirt and convince Gats that him Warbs and Falletau are the back 3 of choice going forward, Shingler is playing well, Ryan will always deliver and Warbs and Tips together are a proven combo when AWJ and Ianto take on more ball carrying.
    Hope he ignites some fire soon, he’s capable of being one of the games best number 6’s.

Rhys has an X factor about him, but he has the odd injury and then that affects his confidence, he can be a Dwayne Peel Danny Care type player, produce unexpected moments of class, hopefully he’ll get more game time at club and country level and show this. Otherwise give Gareth Davies a pop, love a good lively character at nine!

anagallis_arvensis

Too many of that squad are broken, have just been broken or are simply broken all the time for me to be confident for example Roberts, Davies, Warbrton, Gethin.
    Gareth Davies was excelent last friday.

Ireland extended 44-man squad for Six Nations: Forwards: Rodney Ah You (Connacht)*, Stephen Archer (Munster), Rory Best (Ulster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues)*, Sean Cronin (Leinster), Robbie Diack (Ulster)*, Cian Healy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Chris Henry (Ulster), Rob Herring (Ulster)*, David Kilcoyne (Munster), Mike McCarthy (Leinster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Martin Moore (Leinster)*, Jordi Murphy (Leinster)*, Paul O’Connell (Munster), Tommy O’Donnell (Munster), Peter O’Mahony (Munster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Rhys Ruddock (Leinster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Dan Tuohy (Ulster), Damian Varley (Munster).
    Backs: Isaac Boss (Leinster), Darren Cave (Ulster), Gordon D’Arcy (Leinster), Keith Earls (Munster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster), David Kearney (Leinster), Rob Kearney (Leinster), Ian Keatley (Munster), Ian Madigan (Leinster), Kieran Marmion (Connacht), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Brian O’Driscoll (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92), Andrew Trimble (Ulster).

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

True that, many a broken men in the squad and I’m sure they’ll be targeted too.

Hey ho, what’s the song “two outa three ain’t bad”.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

How has Robin Copeland been playing for the Blues? I don’t know much about him.

I’d imagine Zebo, Bowe and Gilroy will be added to the squad next week. The only weakness I see is the lack of a ball carrier in the back row as Fez and SOB are out. I would like to see Tuohy get a start at lock as he carries well. Other than that feeling cautiously optimistic.

anagallis_arvensis

Copeland is ok. Not international quality but would do a job in an emergency.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is BOD pushing it to far? Should he of called it a day after the Lions tour?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Pigface, had the Lions tour ended better for him I think he may have retired. He may now decide to push on for RWC 2015 and I think he wants to make a point in this years RBS and against Wales especially.

ElVino

Irish squad is almost every fit Irish qualified player who plays for Ulster, Munster and Leinster with a few extras, so doesn’t tell us much.

I’ve only seen Copeland is a couple of times but he has looked very good in the H Cup, he was MOM against Glasgow away and carried well again at the weekend in a well beaten Cardiff team. Hard to say if he is international class or not but I am looking forward to having him at Munster next season. Kieran Marmion the Connaught SH is a serious talent and I expect him to head to Leinster soon.

anagallis_arvensis

Whats BODs point going to be Jiffy Junior wont be playing anyway and Gatlands point was that Jiffy Junior was better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.