Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Cipriani for England I say 😀

Can’t see it happening but he seems to have sorted himself out is playing very well indeed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mr Phillips is coming to Paris, Racing Metro app says so. Lions partnership at 9 and 10 then.

anagallis_arvensis

9, 10 and 12!

jambalaya
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member 
    9, 10 and 12!

So @aa big points for you not pointing out you’d seen Phillips was going to Racing 4 hours before I posted. Most kind of you.

Racing posted that they’d be speaking to Phillips about next season already and that the Bayonne incident just accelerated things. It’s seems he may possibly play against Quinns. On a related note Racing are playing that game in Nantes, why play a home game 3 or 4 hours away, is your Parisian home support really going to travel ?

DanW
    Free Member

9, 10 and 12!

… and Jon Davies will be partnering Fofana in the centres at Clermont Auvergne which should be fun for the opposing centres! Let’s not foget Priestland could end up with him too.

It isn’t great to see so many Welsh heading for France but some of the partnerships and combinations are looking exciting.

It was interesting to read Jon Davies’s various interviews and he said that the best games he has played have been in European Cup competitions and that is something that particularly attracted him to Clermont. Something that doesn’t get too mentioned (at least by the players for obvious reasons I guess) is the relative weakness of the Rabo and general lack of success of the Rabo teams (Irish excluded) in Europe. I guess the feeling you don’t have too much to play for at a club like the Scarlets must be setting in which is a real shame for a league in need of a boost. The flip side to that is that playing week in week out in a more competitive league with more pressure to play and perform for the club than they might be used to could be mentally and physically fatiguing. It might be a complete misinterpretation but I can’t see a team investing half a million a year in him being as accommodating to rest and so on as one would imagine the Scarlets are. Could be way off base but just a thought…

DanW
    Free Member

Just checked the Clermont squad… Davies doesn’t just have Fofana to partner in the centres but Regan King, Benson Stanley, and Rougerie. Even if one or two leave with Davies arriving it is pretty ridiculous the talent some of the French squads have.

anagallis_arvensis

lay and perform for the club than they might be used to could be mentally and physically fatiguing. It might be a complete misinterpretation but I can’t see a team investing half a million a year in him being as accommodating to rest and so on as one would imagine the Scarlets are. C

no shit Sherlock! Scarlets are funded by WRU so do as they are told.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cipriani for England I say

Can’t see it happening but he seems to have sorted himself out is playing very well indeed.

Dallaglio said something similar on BTsport’s rugby show. Said he was playing better and more consistently than other players further up the England pole.
    Whilst i’m glad he’s got his act together and is both playing well – and playing as a team member – i don’t think he’ll get a look at an England shirt and i’d rather he was with Sale TBH. We need him and his style doesn’t appear to be what Lancaster wants. I’m just happy we have a 10 who can get things going a bit.

duckman

molgrips – Member

Why did cooper bite him,couldn’t he reach spikeys balls with his free hand?

Too busy trying to retrieve the actual ball?

Bottom of a ruck is not really the natural habitat of 10’s is it?

DanW
    Free Member

A_a, I just wonder if the big name players making the move realise the different demands from the club’s they’re likely to face. They must have it in the back of their minds but I imagine the demands could come as a bit of a shock having had a comparatively easy life in the regions

surfer
    Free Member

He is outstanding at the moment for Sale. His all round game is excellent even his tackling 🙂
    Full house on Saturday. Try, conversion, penalty and drop goal 😯 we still lost 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

The current trend to go to France is interesting from the perspective that “originally” you did so on the basis you where giving up playing internationals based upon the selection rules (either written or implicit). So for a lot of players that meant extending their career whilst earning very good money. It was also good for the clubs as they could field strong teams when other sides where weakened by international call ups.

What’s different here, certainly with the Welsh is they hope to be selected for Wales and would seem to have a reasonable basis for doing so. I think it’s fair to say most of the English don’t expect (or even want ?) to be picked.

anagallis_arvensis

It would be a bit bloody difficult to pick a wales squad without any of the foreign based players. Presumeabke the reality is the wages in wales from playing for regions and wales dont get near to m matching the offers to play in France so a family man who wants to provide for his family may turn his back on team wales or at least take the risk. I imagine the differential for the English is less stark hence why less current england players have gone.

doof_doof
    Free Member

AB’s cleaned up at the IRB awards.

New Zealand number 8 Kieran Read has been named the IRB Player of the Year 2013. The All Blacks were named IRB Team of the Year for the seventh time and Steve Hansen the IRB Coach of the Year for the second year in succession.

New Zealand won all 14 of their Test matches during 2013, a feat that has never before been achieved in the professional era.

tinybits
    Free Member

AA, I thought that the welsh regions had a higher salary cap than the English clubs? I know the Irish certainly do. However, if this is true, why is it manly welsh players going? Theres certainly talent in the English league that seems to stay around.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Wales would struggle if an overseas rule was enforced,don’t have enough quality players to choose from.
    Just a few injuries and they have to drag them out of the academy to play.:-)
    It’s a constant struggle for strength in depth.
    Scotland is the same England have few more players to choose from so not such a deal if they play overseas.

anagallis_arvensis

Havent got the figures but I’d be utterly astonished if the ospreys and scarlets together squad cost as much as Saffercens alone. The Irish players get a massive tax break. The welsh players are going due to the size of the pay packet.

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t think it is any surprise why the Welsh are heading for France- Money. Since most in the first team are multiple 6N winners and successful Lions their stock has never been higher too. Time to cash in.

What’s different here, certainly with the Welsh is they hope to be selected for Wales and would seem to have a reasonable basis for doing so. I think it’s fair to say most of the English don’t expect (or even want ?) to be picked.

As others have already said, the idea of a current international heading over and trying to combine increased demands at club level compared to playing in the regions (less control over rest periods for example, possible management of injuries, increased pressure to play injured, etc) on top of maintaining a high level of form come international time is somewhat new and more of a worry.

tinybits
    Free Member

Ive been having a hunt around, and (yet again) I’m wrong

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-regions-agree-salary-1801638

Wales £3.5m, Engladshire, £4.2m (cap – not the same as spend), however I can’t see how Saracens, Bath, Leicester, Hairyquims and Northampton stay under it, so possibly 30% more? That’s quite a bit more per person, so I can see why it happens.

anagallis_arvensis

The other factor is how much do current england players get paid for playing for england compared to welsh players playing for wales.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa – yes I think this is a big factor. If you’re in the England setup then the financial incentive is to stay in England, once you are outside from choice or not being selected then France looks very attractive, as I understand it there is no salary cap in France.

@tinybits I have no doubt there are all sorts of swerves in play to stay under the cap

wrecker
    Free Member

The new deal, which was brokered by the RFU, the Rugby Players’ Association (RPA) and Premiership Rugby, will reportedly see each member of an England matchday squad receive a £7,000 match fee, a £7,000 image-rights payment and a new £1,000 training fee.

It is understood that previously they received a match fee of around £9,200 and a win bonus of approximately £3,000.

DanW
    Free Member

Flood could be off to Toulon… he doesn’t seem too fussed to be playing a bit part in the current England set up:

“I imagine a move [overseas] would probably rule me out of England. For me, it is no longer about whether a move might further my career.
    “It is about where I feel comfortable, about who I enjoy hanging out with and where I’m living.”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have we done the Return of the King yet?

Almost certainly coming back to join Easterby’s coaching line up, I reckon.

DanW
    Free Member

Hadn’t spotted that CFH, thanks. Perhaps part of the deal to let Jon Davies head the opposite direction?

Also talk on the same site that Byrne could be headed for Newport. Byrne did seem to be one of the more peed off players having been overlooked for Wales despite his move to France. He seems more determined to play international rugby than some of those heading abroad so perhaps a move back could actually happen- age isn’t on his side though so you’d imagine if there is an offer to stay in France (perhaps there isn’t) then it would be more sensible to take the extra pennies

jambalaya
    Free Member

@DanW – do you have a link to the quote from Flood ?

duckman

The above Flood quote is in todays times…attributed to Graham Rowntree.

DanW
    Free Member

I saw the flood quote on Eurosport

They make it sound like a direct quote from Flood himself but I’d trust Duckman over Eurosport’s dodgy reporting!

anagallis_arvensis

Hibbard next one to leave Wales
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25229561

gone/going 15

a few pages back we were discussing a complete team of welsh exiles but had no hooker… seems that’ll be fixed

Byrne
    North
    Davies
    Roberts
    Brew
    Henson/Robinson
    Phillips
    Powell (dubious)
    Lydiate
    ?
    Evans
    Charteris
    Mitchel/Effion Roberts
    Hibbard
    James/Gill

Hook misses out again!!

DanW
    Free Member

No English clubs in the Heineken Cup next year! The mess rolls on

anagallis_arvensis

And maybe no welsh! Shit fan interface

http://m.bbzc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/25255119

duckman

But they aren’t self funded so surely will have to toe the WRU line. Surely grandstanding by English premiership teams?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Surely grandstanding by English premiership teams?

Yes, I think the English teams are persisting with their negotiating stance which looks very weak without the French. H Cup games are sell outs, the replacements will not be.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Omnishambles.

french participation in HC is conditional of the English being in.

Suspect the english clubs have dug themselves a bit of a hole with their TV deal.

French cant be relied upon one way or the other as usual.

The Welsh in fighting appears to be using the opposing camps for leverage.

What do the fans want ? And do the clubs / governing bodies care?

wrecker
    Free Member

Cripes!
    It’s open war. The WRU seem to be acting like real assholes to the regions.

The HC will go on without the english, the FFR will make the French clubs play. God alone knows what the English clubs will do. The relationship with ERC is completely broken, and the BT deal effectively prohibits them from competing anyways. The only saving grace is that the BT deal leaves them no worse off than they were playing in the HC.

jambalaya
    Free Member

European Rugby. What do the fans want ? I want to see the best club sides playing each other. In the past few years that’s meant Irish, French and English. I’d like to see the Welsh get a good club side or two together. Scotland and Italy can have a reprentative or two in the group stages but I wouldn’t miss them of they weren’t in. TV money is distributed based on how you do, ie where you place in the group and how far you go in the knockout.

Edit: Phillps came on but Rarcing got battered as did Northampton. Johhny had a bad day with his kicking and after Giteau took over the Exeter crowd where chanting “we want Johhny” excellent 🙂 planet-rugby

bruk

The Heineken Cup thing is a shambles. No surprise really as money is starting to take hold of the game now.

Jambalaya, do you want to end up with a football situation where a few clubs have all the money and power, reducing the chances of smaller clubs ever being successful? Where the clubs have the power over the international game?

To me the international game is still the bit I enjoy watching the most. Possibly because with the invention of scottish and welsh regions there has been a loss of smaller clubs which now play at a lower level.. Progress maybe but not local for a lot of people.

Going forward there could be things learnt from things like the NFL system of trying to equalise the game so that the ones with the deepest pockets can’t buy their way to the top.

Maybe because I’m scottish and we are always going to struggle I feel this way and possibly if I was a tigers fan I wouldn’t.

Anyway. Decision isn’t ours to make and we can only hope we are left with some kind of game to watch and enjoy.

anagallis_arvensis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/european-rugby/10503566/Sam-Warburton-sets-Wales-deadline.html

the first part about Warburton leaving is just bad. The last two paragraphs are the really worry.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Seems Regional Rugby in Wales is terminal unless they join the EPL.
    If the English will have them that is!
    Maybe that’s what WRU want,they could then set up new regions with central contracts same as Ireland.
    They would then be fully under WRU control and i read somewhere that it could be just 3 regions, North,East and West.
    My Guess is they will play at PYS West,Rodney Parade East and Parc Eirias North.
    I for one welcome this change,we need to keep the best players in Wales,central contracts is the only way to go.
    The infighting between the current regions and WRU is a joke and will kill the game in Wales.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.