Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • toys19
    Free Member

If Hartley scores against England that would make him world class in my eyes.

(PS every time I see Lawes on the pitch I expect a red card, but apparently he has mended his ways.. Hmmm)

Whilst we are on the subject who are your biggest penalty magnets, past and present?

I mean when they appear on your team sheet you just think oh bugger..

I go for:

Lawes
    Hartley
    Moody

And I forecast:

Farrel.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Richie McCaw (almost any AB in fact) but some how the refs never see them.

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the opposite definition, Richie McCaw is a penalty repulser.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(PS every time I see Lawes on the pitch I expect a red card, but apparently he has mended his ways.. Hmmm)

Agreed. He does, however, appear to have got his head together a bit more recently. He certainly was a bit of a liability before. I’d be interested to see him play at 7, though. As a real ‘trouble maker’ in the Jean-Pierre Rives or Finn Calder. But with more pace. And less hair.

And I forecast:

Farrel.

He certainly does seem to have a temper on him!

wrecker
    Free Member

How has Matt Stevens avoided mention? Every time I see him waddling onto the pitch I think “oh please no”

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Whilst we are on the subject who are your biggest penalty magnets, past and present?

The Claw Peter Clohessy and DOC.

Edit – The nightclub attached to Clohessy’s bar in Limerick is called The Sin Bin, well named in so many ways.

bigblackshed

Lawes has just taken on Grewcock’s roll.

For a while it was Ryan Jones for Wales. He’d have a fantastic 10 mins, a bit of magic, set up a scoring opportunity, then back in his own half give away 2 or 3 penalties to let the oppo score.

AWJ too.

Kryton57

Taken from sky sports:

“”I’m ready to score when everyone else is ready to put me in the opportunity,” said Ashton”

Is it me or does that read like it’s been spoken by an arrogant twunt?

duckman

Finley Calder is one of the dirtiest buggers I ever played against,but not as bad as his brother Jim who also got a few caps.Actually a few of them were very good adverts for pro teams,you didn’t have to play against internationals in club games anymore and try to walk on a Sunday. While Fin is well remembered for the chasing of an up and under onto the Irish 15 in the WC quarter in,91? He earns extra points for being sacked as Stu Mel coach for spending half time commenting not on the hammering they were getting,but instead discussing how well upholstered a female spectator was.

Notice good example for any aspiring skipper,knocks somebody sparko and berates the ref for making him do it. 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upTEbrGcQdA[/video]

toys19
    Free Member

Kwality scottish kiss there. That gave me strange pleasures to watch..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s you 😉

There is far too much over analysis these days. As an Englishman, I am used to listening to oodles of chippy crap directed our way. But what is the latest attack of the All Blacks all about. So they write on a whiteboard that they are the most dominant team in the world. And this same arrogant accusation crops up. What a crock.

First, it is true. Second, even if it wasnt there is no harm in writing that for “internal” use. Pro sport is largely decided between the ears. The AB, Ashton and anyone else would be able to write, say, think whatever it takes to make them mentally ready. For the rest, “sticks and stones……” or stopping being over sensitive bunnies. This is rugby after all 😉

Kryton57

We’ll I agree in principle. But the way I read it was than the feels he’s a divine right to score but his colleagues need to put him in that position., not so much focused on him making an effort. Which in the game of rugby is true, but then again I always applied myself as os centre to look for work in disorganised play, with one eye on positioning. I

toys19
    Free Member

Or that he is blaming the others for a lack of decent ball? Which may be a fair point but he has been in the wrong place at the wrong time a fair bit too..

Anyway if that is what he means he ought not have said it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think Ashton has bigger things to worry about, like “why do I hate tackling so much?”

But that wouldn’t do too much for his currently lack of confidence! Time for a rest from 1XV IMO. You either pick on form or youf dont. And Ashton is not in form (and he can’t tackle – did I mention that?)

In the past, he certainly went looking for the ball (possibly too much?) but isn’t that all due to confidence again?

Last year I was watching my son play at school and trying not to see the scores, Then had a quick look and watched us go into the early lead. Having a cup of tea after the match, the AB had just scored quickly and it was a case of , “here we go.” Fortunately didn’t look again and so could watch the recording and enjoy it all the more.

I expect a return to normality this year and to get a bit if a 2H whipping. Our backs simply aren’t up to scratch at the moment to beat the best in the world. But we can dream….

IdleJon

teamhurtmore – Member

But we can dream….

Or feed the ABs dodgy prawns.

Again.

🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We leave that stuff to the bokkas, IJ !!!! (allegedly) they do it better and at more important times!!!

(but I had forgottent that story)

Kryton57

teamhurtmore – Member
    I think Ashton has bigger things to worry about, like “why do I hate tackling so much?”

He’s about to find out. I’ve got £5 with anyone that Nonu goes straight through 10/12/13 at least twice. I’d have £10 that one of those break will lead to a try as Ashton gets sucked in/falls off a tackle.

toys19
    Free Member

Oh god, I’m just going to start the inconsolable drinking now..

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Ashton plays 14 does he not, so lining up opposite Mr J Savea 😀

Surely the ABs will be looking to give Ashton some much needed tackle practice

Tom-B
    Free Member

As for penalty machines….I’d go for Phil Vickery 2006 sort era and Matthew Stevens for his entire career as the worst in my memory! Vickery especially… be it the scrum or in open play was an absolute machine!

Jim Hamilton has to be up there in the current crop!

Kryton57

ijs445ra – Member
    Ashton plays 14 does he not, so lining up opposite Mr J Savea

Surely the ABs will be looking to give Ashton some much needed tackle practice

Ashton will be drawn inside him, and he’ll be left to Brown. I think they’ll run at the centres, knowing that they’ll break the line and/or Ashton will be drawn in to create acres of space. Then they’ll be at least 2 AB’s running past Ashton at Brown.

IMO, this game could be drawn or lost by Wood/Vunipola/Robshaw/Launchbury/Lawes playing out of thier skins.

wrecker
    Free Member

Jim Hamilton has to be up there in the current crop!

[quote]
    I ****ing love Jim Hamilton. Exactly what a lock should be.
    The ABs will be running at the centres all afternoon. They are far too shrewd to miss the weakest link. I reckon Nonu will get a lot of good footage for his highlight reel.

ElVino

Just read the article about the All Blacks white board, one of the most insightful phrases into their motivation was – “We are playing England – this is about history, about human nature.”

duckman

Hamilton tends to go straight for a 10 min rest so he can only do that once a game,so I feel you are being overly critical. He has a wee girl,can you imagine being the poor sod who knocks on that front door in 15 years 😀

Savea; 6″4″ and a hair under 17 stone. Was Ashton playing last year because Savea scored two tries.

ElVino

As for penalty machines BM is right about the Claw and DOC but could have added in any of 6 or 7 other Munster forwards over the last 12 years especially Alan Quinlan. I

duckman

Toys; the landlord thread has finally convinced me you and Zokes aren’t the same person 8)

Oh and if you ever need a plasterer for this Aberdeen property empire…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s “Big” Jim Hamilton, thankyouverymuch.

Pigface
    Free Member

Penalty magnet I give you Peter Rogers 😆

wilko1999
    Free Member

You’d think ‘Big’ was his christened name. In fact I think he’s actually a unit.

Another penalty magnet vote – James Haskell

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s “Big” Jim Hamilton, thankyouverymuch.

Schoolboy error, apologies CFH.

toys19
    Free Member

Ducky, bloody zokes, I have had his back umpteen times, is there no loyalty!
    My empire is down south, but I will remind you to my ABZ mates who are all burgeouing capitalist scum.

I forgot about Haskell, he defo made me worried every time he stepped on the field. He is apparently trying to get back into the england set up for ’15.

one of the most insightful phrases into their motivation

The worst thing is to let the opposition know that you fear/respect them.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep Haskell is too but for all the wrong reasons….he just doesn’t seem to have a clue what he’s doing!

anagallis_arvensis

Rhys Priestland at centre of tug-of-war as Clermont and Gloucester target Scarlets and Wales outside-half
    14 Nov 2013 06:00

oh ffs!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rhys-priestland-centre-tug-of-war-clermont-6302847

surely even rhys’ decision making couldnt be so bad he’d pick Glaws?

DanW
    Free Member

I do think an Wales exiles 15 would be a good match for a domestic international 15. Perhaps the exiles may lack a bit in the forwards, certainly nothing lacking in the backs.

Welsh internationals playing (or soon to play) outside the Rabodirect Pro 12? Not all integral to the current squad but not a bad bunch to pick from! With a lot of contracts up at the end of the season the WRU need to get their stuff together!

Back 3: Tom James/ George North/ Lee Byrne/ Aled Brew
    Centres: (Jon Davies)/ Jamie Roberts/ Gavin Henson
    9: Mike Phillips/ Tavis Knoyle/ Martin Roberts
    10: James Hook/ (Rhs Priestland)
    Front row: Paul James/ Marc Jones/ Craig Mitchell/ John Yapp/ Rhys Gill/ Gethin Jenkins
    Second Row: Dom Day/ Luke Charteris
    Back Row: Dan Lydiate/ Gareth Delve/ Jonathan Thomas

anagallis_arvensis

Gethin is back at the Blues but yes not a bad team. Fat git at Sale Lewis-Roberts to replace him on the bench (providing its been reinforced).

anagallis_arvensis

Need a Hooker…. Did Bennett retire in the end?

DanW
    Free Member

Good point on Gethin, don’t know how I missed that. Perhaps it was all the talk from the Wales camp that he has lost 5kg since joining the squad and I instantly assumed if was the Top 14’s fault 😀

Lewis-Roberts can play where he wants I wouldn’t argue with him 😀 Suppose you could technically also put Andy Powell in on the action too in an Exiles squad having joined Wigan.

I think not letting any Hookers leave Wales must be the RFU’s masterplan to ensure a Wales exiles 15 can’t exist 😆 I can’t think of any and Bennett has retired as far as I know

DanW
    Free Member

Some more international 10’s in England: Ceri Sweeney and Nicky Robinson

Closest Hooker I can find is Dan George at Glaws although he only represented Wales at age grade…

Nevertheless it does seem to be a very Welsh problem for club rugby to keep their top players. Presumably the Rabo is a not particularly wealthy league to start with which doesn’t help, the Scots have fewer teams for the Union to not have to spread pennies so thinly and do the Irish take home more of their earnings? If not then how do the Irish clubs hold their key players (Sexton excluded)?

Pigface
    Free Member

The flip side of that coin is that clubs lose their stars then they have to develop talent and give them a go.

anagallis_arvensis

Irish get good crowds too but the tax relief is a big thing.

Ceri Sweeney dear God, sad thing is he has more international caps than Henson 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.