Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • ocrider

Jonathan Davies off to Clermont. THey will potentially have him and Fofana in the centres with Sivivatu and Nalanga on the wings

And Trinh Duc at FH, allegedly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Three things

Kiwi’s and Ozzies will generally support anyone playing against the other (e.g. I support NZ and anyone playing Australia).
    SA’s generally support Southern Hemisphere against Northern Hemisphere.

I think the “I don’t feel not-British thing” is very bizarre, English, Northern Irish, Scots and Welsh are all British. Full devolution for any of the smaller nations would lead to a very substantial economic decline, plus you’d have to take the euro sooner or later if you want to be in the EU.

Very much a double edged sword for French rugby all the “imports”, as you look around the top sides all the key playmakers are non-French, very bad for the National side. I’ll be at Stade Francias v Toulon is a few weeks, SA vs England/Australia/SA in all the key positions. As a spectator good use of €15 but questionable for the international game. Have a French mate who’s pointed out the the talented young FH at Stade will now sit on the bench behind Moyne Steyn.

Kryton57

You can test the theory easily – let’s ask: will AA be supporting the Ab’s or England on Saturday?

Kryton57

… Because as a staunch English supporter I was and always will be happy to suppoet wales versus the oppo, as long as it’s not england.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    You can test the theory easily – let’s ask: will AA be supporting the Ab’s or England on Saturday?

I support anyone but the cheaty, stampy, punchy, spear-tackly Kiwis. (And I agree with SCW, don’t give them the name, just call them New Zealand. Neath are the real All Blacks, anyway!)

On Saturday, I’ll be fully behind both England and Ireland.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On Saturday, I’ll be fully behind both England and Ireland.

#strangest

IdleJon

teamhurtmore – Member

Very true IJ

I doubt that any Welsh/Scot/Irish person cares whether you think of yourself as English or British

Yes, probably very true.

I doubt that any English person cares whether you think of yourself as Welsh or British

Arrogant *************. My nationality and heritage is important.

Oi, I’m from the oppressed nation here, stop trying to turn it around!! 😆

Who I support really depends on who is playing. I’ve even been known to support Llanelli! I quite like ‘the cheaty, stampy, punchy’, etc NZs so I’ll be supporting them on Saturday. And will definitely be supporting Ireland – I can’t stand Australia for some reason. No rational reasonal!

jambalaya – Member

Full devolution for any of the smaller nations would lead to a very substantial economic decline, plus you’d have to take the euro sooner or later if you want to be in the EU

Jambalaya, you are being led in the wrong direction by toys’ confused vision of the UK. Feeling Welsh (or Scottish, Irish, Cornish, Geordie, Scouse….) doesn’t automatically require devolution.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DD, behind you as well.

#dontpushback

duckman

Hmm, on the theme toys started… I hated the tory government’s hammering of Scotland growing up in the 80’s,which was the decade after the 1st indy vote(which the majority supported) but never translated that to the sporting teams. The slam at the end of the decade changed all that,the rugby was secondary to some serious bile and I look back at that game and all the crap surrounding it with no fond memories at all. I was living in London at the time and all of a sudden there was an edge to the games.The next year the person behind me sat burning my fancy berghaus jacket in half a dozen places for no reason other than the fact I was Scottish. Other guys in my club had beer thrown at them and abused way past the level of anything that could be called banter. This was returned in spades the following year at M’field and I think it was only after the pro game moved the posts so far that England were so much better the memory of the Murrayfield ambush is a distant wound. Despite anything that Toys would like to suggest,we don’t hate the English any more than the English hate the Scots,indeed I was screaming for Engerland in 2003 as I loved the rugby they had played for the previous 18 months. The hype around that side didn’t bother me because it was more than justified.
    However fast forward 10 years and we have the crap that has already been spouted in the Times this week,fortress(with a small f) twickenham as reported in the Times this week anybody? And then things like the hissy fit after the Welsh played the ref better than you guys don’t endear the current England management team to the rest of the home nations.Things like that reinforce the arrogant stereotype.But most of all I want NZ to win because I love the fact that everybody in that side has turned down lucrative overseas contracts to wear the fern during the prime of their careers.That’s quite an anomoly in the modern game, and something that would be alien to a large number of players in Britain and blazers in the various “HQ’s”. You can slag how well the ALL-BLACKS confuse refs and remember 10yo spear tackles,but they are the best team in the world by a distance.
    Is all that racist? I don’t think so,the rest of these Islands are underdogs when we play England so I also think that has a lot to do with it,seeing the big team taken down. For me anyway I certainly don’t transfer my dislike of all things RFU/Ashton and Tory to ordinary English people,and my feeling about English people is different to my BLACK,MURDEROUS thoughts about the rugby team,except when the play France; Auld Alliance my arse!

anagallis_arvensis

England, but it makes me feel dirty.

toys19
    Free Member

Jambalaya, you are being led in the wrong direction by toys’ confused vision of the UK. Feeling Welsh (or Scottish, Irish, Cornish, Geordie, Scouse….) doesn’t automatically require devolution.

you said

That might be the difference there Toys. I’m Welsh. Never think of myself as British.

Wales is part of Britain, therefore you are currently British. If (as you clearly stated above) you do not want to be British, then devolution is the answer to your jingoism.

Duckman I will summarise what you just said thus:

bitterness

AA you have my hand darling.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any chance we could drag this thread back to rugby? Or even to Darcy’s boner?

Thanks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s not jingoism to feel British or not. It’s just how you feel.

I’ve always thought it funny that the most British feeling of the communities of the union are the Irish ones. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Toys whilst you opinions on me are fine can we stick to rugby here. Please.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, it’s an interesting diversion O’Flashearty. I do find it interesting to hear folks’ reasonings about which teams they support when it comes to the 6N and AIs.

toys19
    Free Member

No problem, I just wanted to address tinybits question. I too find it interesting, being of Irish extraction, married to Welsh girl, lived in Wales and now in Scotland, I like to explore what makes us up.

I just want to point out that if England win on saturday, it will be because of the extra support from all the Welsh, Irish and Scottish brethren who are screaming for us. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

True, DD, true.

For me, 6N is always Wales. And then I will support the team that would most benefit Wales if they won! 😈

AIs? Well, if Wales are playing, then it’s obvious. Otherwise, any home nation against a SH side. I do, however, find myself supporting both Argentina and Japan as the ‘underdog’ side at times, notably when against Scotland for some reason.

duckman

Duckman I will summarise what you just said thus:

bitterness
    Yes,you are, but you get the chance of revenge in Wales this year.

I dream of the days when Argentina were the underdogs against Scotland.

anagallis_arvensis

Please. Dont.

toys19
    Free Member

Yes,you are, but you get the chance of revenge in Wales this year.

I’m not bitter,if you look back at all of my posts I never blame the ref when England lose. You guys gave as a square beating and a good lesson in how to play last 6N, I fully expect the same this time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The only irrational reaction I have against any of the other home nations is a rel recent desire to see Scotland lose. This is despite my Scottish education and love of the country. Instead it comes down solely to listening to Andy Nicol on the Beeb. Partly he simply gets on my nerves but equally it’s so funny to see his brilliant ability to see the positive despite Scotland being drubbed into the mud. We all have our biases, but sadly Nicol is a long way from the great Bill McClaren.

But at least that’s better than watching TF1 hey jambalaya?!?

IdleJon

duckman – Member
    For me anyway I certainly don’t transfer my dislike of all things RFU/Ashton and Tory to ordinary English people,and my feeling about English people is different to my BLACK,MURDEROUS thoughts about the rugby team

Well said.

IdleJon

teamhurtmore – Member

The only irrational reaction I have against any of the other home nations is a rel recent desire to see Scotland lose. This is despite my Scottish education and love of the country. Instead it comes down solely to listening to Andy Nicol on the Beeb. Partly he simply gets on my nerves but equally it’s so funny to see his brilliant ability to see the positive despite Scotland being drubbed into the mud. We all have our biases, but sadly Nicol is a long way from the great Bill McClaren.

Ahhh, there – look he said it!!!!!! 💡

Imagine Andy Nicol on a massive scale, with an English accent (in every sense of that word) every time England play, in print and on TV.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Said what IJ? I highlighted ANs ability to find the crumbs of comfort in the depths of despair as the main motivation to see Scotland in trouble. Its funny, very funny in fact. Oh plus he is dreadfully biased. Don’t read too much into it other than that.

It’s nothing to do with accent or even nationally. Its more the bllx he comes up with. I secretly want Scotland to win.

But I undertandng your frustrations. I recall rushing to the TV in the 80s to see an European football match only to find Dougie Donnelly presenting Hibs v Motherwell instead!!! 😉

IdleJon

😆

toys19
    Free Member

But I undertandng your frustrations. I recall rushing to the TV in the 80s to see an European football match only to find Dougie Donnelly presenting Hibs v Motherwell instead!!!

Sounds like my local pub, in Exeter, where the football match between two teams in the north of England took precedence over the England Australia rugby game. 🙄

duckman

Crossed a line there Toys,now just keep that filthy mouth of yours off St Archie.

Pigface
    Free Member

Well done gents some potentialy touchy subjects discussed with out any dummys being spat.

I will support the All Blacks (not Neath) on Saturday, apart from the spearing of BOD which I still dont understand, they are no worse that any other nation as far as dirtyness goes, what I love to see though is the simplicity of the game executed so well. The physical ability as well as the mental speed of thought that at the moment is leading the way. For such a tiny country to continually churn out such outstanding players is incredible.

Happy to see Argentina beaten any time but as with Flasheart always want the Japanese to do well.

anagallis_arvensis

Tuilagi could miss six nations according to Beeb. Same injury as Davies.

anagallis_arvensis

By the way, as to A_A being an expert, didn’t I read on here that he’s only about 26? Or did I make that up?

you made it up, wish I was about 26, 40 next year…. gulp.

duckman

For such a tiny country to continually churn out such outstanding players is incredible.

“Sean;why do NZ churn out such good rugby players?”
    Fitzpatrick; “Ever been here in the winter? There is sod all else to do.”

Pigface
    Free Member

“Ever been here in the winter? There is sod all else to do

Same as loads of places, Wales is a great example 😉

toys19
    Free Member

Or is it that they do not play any other sport. Rugby is it.
    I’m not sure what the welsh attitude to footy or teenage pregnancies was in the 60’s,70’s,and 80’s but it seems to me that the Principality as a whole was concentrating on its rugby. From 1964 to 1989 there were 26 games between us and we only won 4 of them.

Crossed a line there Toys,now just keep that filthy mouth of yours off St Archie.

Duckie-its not an anti northern thing, its just that Devon is such a long way away from Newcastle or whoever it was playing. It seems like there is no excuse for the football matches of two teams wholly unrelated to the region to be more important to the Mount Radford pub dwellers than the rugby team of the nation..

Kryton57

Tuilagi out, and now Corbs in doubt also.

Oh no…. 😥

toys19
    Free Member

Kryton, you mean you had hope?

Kryton57

I always have hope. What I’m “oh no-ing” about is not being beaten – I could accept that – but the margin by which we are beaten and the excuses that’ll be used after. “Well, we didnt have our first choice centres” and (already in Barnes Sky Sports rhetoric) “Corbesiero is key to stability in the pack”…

That means rolling in here Monday to hear the detractors giggling and pointing.

Kryton57

IdleJon

anagallis_arvensis – Member

By the way, as to A_A being an expert, didn’t I read on here that he’s only about 26? Or did I make that up?

you made it up, wish I was about 26, 40 next year…. gulp.

That makes far more sense!

I must have dreamt it.

I’m dreaming about you a_a! 😉 😆

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t do excuses, we either win or we don’t, if we do we are awesome, if we don’t we are not awesome.

Kryton57

there is no try

😕

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.