Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • DezB
    Free Member

Oh god. Not looking forward to that at all.
    Can only assume the decent backs are being saved.

Yeah, 2 fullbacks against Argentina cos they are such an attacking threat. Pooh.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m more concerned with the problems at 9-10-12 than who’s on the wing. Foden is a very good player; pacy, elusive, good tackler and intelligent.
    Focussing on the wing is overlooking the major issues IMHO.
    Marler is a worry too. Looks like Cole is being given a kick up the jacksie.

duckman

wrecker – Member
    With some cleverly applied rough stuff, you could get half of that pack sent off or binned

Posted 4 hours ago # Report-Post

And a wee memorial stone outside your national stadium with the phrase ” Died in action.”

Scamper
    Free Member

A reprieve for Ashton then with Wade and Yarde injured. If they were going to play the likes of Wade, i’d have now stuck Jonny May in some where instead of Foden. There again with the liability on the other flank they appeared to gave gone for the solid option. Having said that wasn’t Foden’s tackling, or lack of, one of the reasons he got dropped in the first place?

wrecker
    Free Member

Having said that wasn’t Foden’s tackling, or lack of, one of the reasons he got dropped in the first place?

In favour of Brown? I hope not! I thought he was out for a while with an injury.
    12T given another shot, I’d have given Burrell (and Trinder) a go.

anagallis_arvensis

Gutted for Walker, thats what did for his first cap last season. I expect we will see Liam Williams and his angry face on the wing now. Shame he’s a bit shit because I love his captain angry death or glory attitude.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Is Williams (pint sized Scralets wing?) in the Welsh squad?

Does Lancaster’s selection mean that Ashton is the only fit and capable winger in England at present 😯 ? What message does that send to Strettle, May, Sharples etc that if two wingers are injured he would rather play an FB out of position?

As was said above I think it will be largely irrelevant who is on the wing if 9-12 play as they did last week. I dont think you should change whole back divisions at once, but Lancaster could have perhaps tried a new centre combo and given dickson and Farrell 40 mins to prove their worth or started Youngs and Flood to try and get better and more ball to 12T, Tomkins and the back 3.

Scamper
    Free Member

I think Trinder got injured again anyway – dead leg.

duckman

I do like the look of the English tight 5 mind,that is starting to take shape nicely,Corbisiero(sp) still to add.

DanW
    Free Member

Aside form perhaps discipline it is hard to pick a weakness in that SA starting 15

Perhaps a slight defensive weakness in the back 3… but then I’d only really say that with the big lump Cuthbert keeping North company on the wings.

I expect we will see Liam Williams and his angry face on the wing now. Shame he’s a bit shit because I love his captain angry death or glory attitude

He’s not that shit. Solid tackling especially the last gasp type stuff, great under the high ball and guaranteed to piss off lots of SA team. I think it is only because his angry face and niggly attitude is just so awesome that it is easy to overlook the other parts of his game 😀

What is worse than a few Scarlets coming in to the team is tons of Scarlets coming in to the team! The back line is from out West almost. Can the Scarlets beat SA…. 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done already, but…

Adam.

anagallis_arvensis

He’s not that shit. Solid tackling especially the last gasp type stuff, great under the high ball and guaranteed to piss off lots of SA team. I think it is only because his angry face and niggly attitude is just so awesome that it is easy to overlook the other parts of his game 

He’s a decent full back but his positioning and defence on the wing v NZ was crap last year. Still he is a stroppy **** and brave to the point of reckless it will at least be funny seeing him putting it about v SA.. Cant see Wales winning. SA have the same gameplan based on bosh and they are bigger. Would need to see Gethin role back the years and Bradley Davis step up to be the player he threatenned to be a few years ago to stand a chance. Without Ian Evans or Girafferis the lineout is a worry too.

toys19
    Free Member

You see this is just madness, Wales gave England a stuffing last year, on form if anyone can beat SA its you lot.

wrecker
    Free Member

As seen in the AB game, SA are a tough team but anthing can happen at the millenium. Wales are on form, full of quality and high on confidence. They can beat them. Whether they will is a different matter.

anagallis_arvensis

Toys its not madness its quite simple england<wales<SA

anagallis_arvensis

Oh and where are these on form welsh players? Roberts and Cuthbert are broken, Lydiates not picked for his club, Phillips is pissed and the rest play shite for shite teams.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yeah, they were all shit on the Lions tour weren’t they? It was only 3 odd months ago FFS.

toemul
    Free Member

Malherba and du plessis together there’s the SA weakness.

boxfish
    Free Member

Wales to win all 4 Autumn Internationals, followed by an impromptu referendum on Welsh devolution with a subsequent landslide election to First Minister for Adam Jones. 😆

anagallis_arvensis

Wrecker you dont think top professional sportsmen peak? What happens after the peak? Very few of them are currently playing well.

boxfish
    Free Member

Surely they can plateau, too?

anagallis_arvensis

I dont think you understand the term “peak”.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

A question.
    Saw today that Sale have signed defence coach Mike Forshaw on a 2yr contract, as Sale have the 5th strongest defence in the Premiership (currently) he’s obviously doing something right.

So, why are we putting so much faith in RL defence coaches at both club and National level when from the SL games i have seen defences are awful?
    I see wingers coming in to double (or even triple) tackle the ball carrier and leaving a whole for the oppo wing to stroll through, why the fascination with RL defences?

anagallis_arvensis

Dont know but Edwards is pretty good.

boxfish
    Free Member

I dont think you understand the term “peak”

No, of course I don’t.

Ever heard of the phrase, “Form is temporary, class is permanent”?

Maybe you should have more faith in the current Welsh squad? You seem to play down Welsh chances. It’s almost like you are hedging your bets.

anagallis_arvensis

I hope Wales win but its unlikely and I dont expect it. This is based on an understanding of rugby. I’ll love it if they win but it’ll be a shock. I fail to see how anyone who understands the game could be any more than hopeful of a welsh win. Could you explain how you think a wales team who havent beaten anyone any good for ages will beat the second best team in the world.

boxfish
    Free Member

Ah, you old romantic you. I believe we have a side capable of beating SA on Saturday. That’s also based on an understanding of rugby. 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Where do you see Wales being better?

DezB
    Free Member

“An understanding of rugby” means you can’t predict what will happen!

However, I also think SA will win, but I bloody hope not!

boxfish
    Free Member

With our starting pack I believe we should edge the scrum & breakdown. Not so confident about the line out but if AWJ stays on, we should be OK. If Hibs can throw straight (and the roof stays closed!), Warbs may be used a bit more at the tail.

Backs-wise, Habana has some form and du Preez is class. However, if we kick from hand well and chase better, we have a very capable trio at 10-12-13 who can make things happen.

That may not tally with your understanding of rugby, but it’s an understanding nonetheless.

Physically we are a match for them. Mentally, we can only beat ourselves.

toys19
    Free Member

This is based on an understanding of rugby total arrogance

anagallis_arvensis

Arrogance to think SA are the better team. Come on Toys try harder.

anagallis_arvensis

With our starting pack I believe we should edge the scrum & breakdown. Not so confident about the line out but if AWJ stays on, we should be OK. If Hibs can throw straight (and the roof stays closed!), Warbs may be used a 

lot of ifs and getting shit chucker to chuck long doesnt seem like a good idea. Problem is both Bradley and AW are front jumpers.

DanW
    Free Member

Let’s just say it would be a big surprise for Wales to win. Not enough of the main players in the squad and it would take all of the main men in Wales to be in form to out bosh the masters of bosh. Wales’s approach lacks subtlety and I can’t see SA struggling to deal with that. In the recent matches against SA Wales have played very well and absolutely dominated large portions of the game yet SA just weather it and keep the points ticking over

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Wales have a chance but i think they need to try and play smart and not try and go toe-to-toe with SA. The SA pack is massive the backrow in particular i would suggest is a fair bit more powerful than Wales. I think Wales need to look to play at pace use the speed advantage of their backrow to get the ball away from the ruck before SA can engage and slow it up. I dont see Wales winning an arm wrestle. Philips needs to be sharp and get some quicker passes out and keep the SA pack moving.

I would like so see North running at Steyn/Du Preez off set pieces because i dont see Wales getting much joy through the centres, De Villiers for me is up there with Conrad Smith and BOD as one of the best centres in the game and Fourie was always good to watch before he dissappeared off to Japan i dont see Davies and Williams getting much out of them.

Hoping to watch a cracking match in the comfort of being a neutral 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Be afraid, be very afraid…

duckman

Is the Wales game on council telly; it is just I have been waiting for BT for two months to fit t’broadband and am starting to hanker after a wee bit more than the Sunday highlights show.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

BBC 2 17:30 or S4C if you prefer

Scotland v Japan and Ireland v Samoa are on red button

IdleJon

ijs445ra – Member

As was said above I think it will be largely irrelevant who is on the wing if 9-12 play as they did last week.
    Dad’s team sheet reads 9: who cares 10: Owen 11: Owen 12: Owen 13: Owen 14: Owen 15: OwenWhat’s his name, oh $£% it, Owen.

toys19 – Member
    You see this is just madness, Wales gave England a stuffing last year, on form if anyone can beat SA its you lot.

This year, wasn’t it? Just a matter of months ago in fact.. 😛 😉

Posted 15 hours ago # Report-Post

DanW – Member

Let’s just say it would be a big surprise for Wales to win.

Very true but if they don’t start competing with the big teams this year then they aren’t going to be in any position to compete in RWC in two years time. Leaving it until next year to unleash surprise victories is cutting it too fine.

Frankers
    Free Member

Just got back from Welford Road, thought we were gonna get stuffed as all the the development lads were playing, not sure who Ospreys ran out but they looked pretty poor. Ospreys complete bench was used up, hopefully no long term injuries.

Ex Scarlets Owen Williams played well and hooker Harry Thacker was superb, future England #2 I reckon

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.