Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Being handed off once doesn’t indicate a poor performance. He played far better than the lauded twelvetrees.

DezB
    Free Member

Why has no-one mentioned Billy V? Good performance, I thought.

I said to my son when they showed 12trees warming up “Oh no, not him at centre again!”
    Just don’t get it. At least Tompkins showed some good defensive qualities. There has to be a better 12 in England! Bringing a 10 on at 12 ain’t the answer (as Australia showed!)
    Gonna be another hard slog against the Argies next week.

tinybits
    Free Member

A little hard on 12t, he’s not exactly experienced at this level, and is a good inside centre (not fly half), although admitdly not great this game. who would you have had in place?

Scamper
    Free Member

A little hard on 12t. Yes, he has broken a tackle or two if you have seen him on a regular basis. Live.

wrecker
    Free Member

12t has been off the boil in the 3 games I’ve seen him play this season. Trinder has been excellent by contrast.
    I’d put Burrell in for the next game, he’s been on fire this season. Prob put trinder in too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

England looked very rusty, Australia didn’t do enough (anything ?) in second half. We won ugly but plenty to work on

I thought Billy V was good, Brown the stand out player. Farrell for me had his worst game for England and should have come off at half time. I thought Twelvetrees was hopeless generally and dreadful capitulation for the try.

AA I agree with your thoughts on England but of Wales cannot beat this Australian side in Cardiff then that’s a very poor show, they won’t get a better chance.

Pigface
    Free Member

I watched Wade score two great tries this evening, quick isn’t the word. Kingsholme was not a happy place.

anagallis_arvensis

Being handed off once doesn’t indicate a poor performance. He played far better than the lauded twelvetrees.

my Gran could have played better than Twelvetrees.
    Wales wont beat Aus. Frustrating but true. On yesterdays showing Wales should have nothing to fear in their world cup pool either but they’ll still lose.

As for England centres Eastmond is talked up but no Bath back has been passed the ball by Ford this season. Apparently v Worcs Eastmond played 12 and didnt get one pass all game.

IdleJon

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Wish Wales could beat Aus when not playing well. We lost to them 240 000 times last season.

Proper LOL!!

jambalaya – Member

AA I agree with your thoughts on England but of Wales cannot beat this Australian side in Cardiff then that’s a very poor show, they won’t get a better chance.

England’s first try yesterday came from the penalty kick thrown back in by an English player standing in touch. If the officials had been competent, England would have been on their own 5m line defending rather than making their way upfield on their way to score. (Via a blatant forward pass which was also missed by the officials.)

Their second try was the disputed ‘was there blocking, wasn’t there?’

Two tries which on any other day may not have been given. Simply put, the history books will show that England won, but they were very, very lucky to have the most incompetent refereeing team so far this autumn.

With any luck Wales will have the same ‘luck’!

wrecker
    Free Member

Even so, England were the better team on the day. Perhaps the score should have been closer, but they should not feel remotely guilty in taking the win.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I agree with wrecker that Farrell isn’t the long terms solution at 10. Given that his kicking game is his strength then for me his goal kicking is below than standard required of an international 10, and has been all of this calendar year.

36 was awful yesterday, but he is still very inexperienced and lets not forget the amount of stick Brown got after the 6n’s yet was mom yesterday (admittedly now he isn’t playing out of position). I’d like to see Burrell in the side in place of Tomkins.

As has been said though, no shape at all in the backs and very little attacking threat. How Wade didn’t make the squad I’ll never know. Hopefully we’ve got a solution to the number 8 problem now though….Billy V was very impressive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tom B – Member
    I agree with wrecker that Farrell isn’t the long terms solution at 10. Given that his kicking game is his strength then for me his goal kicking is below than standard required of an international 10, and has been all of this calendar year.

England felt Rob Andrew was a long term solution and I think they see Farrell the same way, at the moment I don’t see an alternative other than Flood who would be ready in time for the 2015 RWC. I too think his goal kicking and “solid” are his attributes, if he doesn’t kick his goals (and his misses were easy kicks) then his place in the side is very questionable, his distribution and management of the game yesterday was poor.

Ashton is yesterday’s news and I think the disrespect he showed the coaching staff and Martin Johnson with the swallow dive nonsense show’s his attitude is not right.

anagallis_arvensis

Ashton is yesterday’s news and I think the disrespect he showed the coaching staff and Martin Johnson with the swallow dive nonsense show’s his attitude is not right.

I have no problem with the Ashton diving (although he is nowhere near as good at as Williams was) its just the fact he’s shit, well not shit but without anyone making half breaks and offloading to him he is well and truly neutered, the England midfield without Manu Tuilagi create nothing. His tackling is pure league style, he goes high to stop offloads, they do it all the time in league, go high and wait for others to come and knock them over as offloads win games in league. He needs to be intensively coached in how to tackle low. I don’t think its lack of heart just lack of technique.
    Wade appears to be the next cab of the rank and he’s hardly a defensive colossus. Might as well pick Monye as all England wingers seem to do is chase kicks and tackle.

Pigface
    Free Member

As I said yesterday Wade took his two tries really well, his defense isn’t great but that is not what he is there for. Shane wasn’t the greatest defender, mainly due to size. Taking the Bath swamp donkey down is not a great example the man is hopeless. I would have Wade in front of Ashton but Lancaster seems to be a size freak.

tinybits
    Free Member

Or get Mathew Tait back in the side. Yes A-A u know exactly what video you’re about to post, but it wouldn’t happen now, and last year his running for leicester was absolutly incredible. Think the type of runs that he did against the Soith Africans in a certain World Cup final, easily beating the first 3 defenders. That’s the type of winger we could do with.

anagallis_arvensis

Banahanahanahan for England

tinybits
    Free Member

I’d rather have my gran, and she’s been dead for 18years….

anagallis_arvensis

Yes A-A u know exactly what video you’re about to post

it wasn’t just two tackles and one kick:

tinybits, Tait lack the pace now for an international winger IMO

Kryton57

Has everyone forgotten that we destroyed them in the scrum, massively improved in the loose and had a pretty good defensive game?

Agree with the centre comments. I think Yarde played better at centre when he had to. I’d like to see Tuilagi inside Yarde, still perplexed who’d play 12 though.

As for the comments from the armchair refs, you forget there’s three refs on the field. Small snippets of cheating happen all over the park and get unseen, not just by England. We could talk about trips, shirt pulls and the winding up of Ton Youngs that went on (did they forget what Hartley looked like) by the Aussie, not to mention numerous attempts to slow the ball in the loose plus that awful hit on Launchbury which had nothing much to do with securing a ball.

tinybits
    Free Member

But if you’re not going to put you’re wingers into any space, then you might as well have players who go looking for work and can break the gain line with good footwork. I can’t recall the last time I saw an English winger properly open the taps.

anagallis_arvensis

Thats true tiny. If you watch the game again look at the build up to the Farrel try. Bily V busts the gainline quick ball goes left, it just needed some straight running and drawing and passing to put in Yarde but it was butchered. Brown was involved and drifted left didnt commut anyone and then just shunted it on. It reminded me off the Strettle non try at the end of the last eng wales game at twickers. Basics done really really badly. The all blacks would have strolled it in making it look easy.

anagallis_arvensis

I’d love to see Tuilagi and Yarde in the centres too especially against Wales!!!

vondally
    Free Member

AA quite correct, though at least brown had some good moments enough to hold 15

Ashton needed to go from the squad 5 matches ago

Not convinced by Lawes and missed Parling. Still would have T Youngs over Hartley ….just cannot abide him.

Robshaw may not be an openside but another great match. Woods excellent. Billy was Billy

Farrell stuck in there yeaterday, not the 10 we need 11/ 12/13/14 all open, but need to give players a run to see how they settle in.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good job I don’t write about rugby for a living! The idea that we had agood scrummaging match is completely at odds to how I saw it live. Ditto Ian Robertson was pretty positive on the radio on the way home.

Perhaps I was watching a differern match.

“If” Hartley was guilty of blocking then he was merely reflecting his “true” nationality – the Aussies should be used to that!!!

DanW
    Free Member

I couldn’t help thinking at the time it was a very “NZ” block 😀 …. as in preventing the defender from being where they needed to be but done just well enough to con the officials. Plenty of blocks far more marginal get punished in the middle of the field normally. NZ have this type of thing absolutely dialled and their split lineout towards the try line where the hooker cruises through untouched is a prime example of this. There is no way Hartley should have been in that area though so is far less subtle. Personally I’m amazed England got away with it but there you go.

As far as England go- not knowing your starting 15 (or probably more precisely, your backs) 2 years out from a WC is a bit worrying.

Wales know their starting 15 but can’t ever get them on the pitch at the same time as each other 😀

tinybits
    Free Member

I think England do know their backs, it’s these with Brad barret and Tuilagi in.
    I think they’d be a better beating of Aus with those two in the team. Add in a couple of additional wingers to allow you to get rid of Ashton, and that’s as good as it gets
    Which depresses me quite a lot…

anagallis_arvensis

THM
    I agree I thought they got lucky in the early scrums Vunipola was all over the place. Improved later with Hartley and Wilson on.

anagallis_arvensis

Not sure if this will work. First scrum. The Clancy Clown pinged aus for boring in.

DezB
    Free Member

Shame the ref isn’t 60 ft tall eh? 🙂

A little hard on 12t. Yes, he has broken a tackle or two if you have seen him on a regular basis. Live.
    True, just didn’t rate him last time he palyed for England and he seemed to get a lot of praise… yeah and sorry for not watching every live match played every week 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

B*** Rugby and England Under 20 wing/full back Anthony Watson will train with senior squad this week ahead of the second QBE International against Argentina this Saturday.

Head Coach Stuart Lancaster has called-up Watson as a continued policy of giving promising young players “a taste of the environment.”

Told ya!

duckman

It was a pretty grim afternoon TBH. Why does a country with a rugby population such as England have to play 12t at centre?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Injuries?

Anyway AA, you must laughing. The best team in N Hemisphere against a poor side that even England can beat on an average day. You boys must be able to thump the Aussies this weekend!!!!! What’s the winning margin going to be?

wrecker
    Free Member

The welsh are playing SA first up aren’t they?

IdleJon

wrecker – Member

The welsh are playing SA first up aren’t they?

Yep, which means that the first choice Welsh 15 will be down to 2 fit players by this time next week.

By the time Wales play Australia in a few weeks time, the Ozzies will have remembered that Quade Cooper is appalling, Genia will have got his form back and the midfield will have taken some ‘attack’ and ‘creativity’ supplements. (And will beat Wales with a last minute kick like they do every single bloody time!)

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Next weeks fixtures

Italy v Australia 14:00
    England v Argentina 14:30
    Scotland v Japan 14:30
    Wales v South Africa 17:30
    Ireland v Samoa 17:45
    France v New Zealand 20:00

All the autumn fixtures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/international-match/fixtures

Disappointing that poor ref/TMO/linesman decisions are deciding matches suspect there will be a few more by the time the autumn internationals are over.

Could be worse though I was at the Edinburgh v Zebre match on Friday (bad enough itself) but they didn’t have a TMO so ref/linesman were pretty much guessing if scores were legit or not. Surely you have to have a TMO at all matches or no matches, especially when we have bonus points which can make a difference between bottom or second bottom come the end of the season.

duckman

Idjejon and A-A; have you thought about becoming Scottish? You would fit in well with us, watching games through your fingers,seeing your team compete way above their skill set until a schoolboy error undoes them….All sound like fun? OK, it would take you a wee while to get used to the fact that we have beaten OZ since the game went pro, but it really is a small adjustment and normal service is soon resumed by a S-Sea team.

DezB
    Free Member

😆 You think it’s easy to support England?!

anagallis_arvensis

Anyway AA, you must laughing. The best team in N Hemisphere against a poor side that even England can beat on an average day. You boys must be able to thump the Aussies this weekend!!!!! What’s the winning margin going to be?

Wales will lose to Aus. Did you see last season. Also remains to be seen who is still fit and who gets released to play.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

DezB, i can only imagine how hard it is to support a team that has either Hartley or Ashton in it nevermind both 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.