• This topic has 31 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 2013 Heckler
  • freddiest

http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/heckler

ISCG 05, slacker, tapered head tube. What’s not to like?

Oh and £300 less than a five too!

Lummox

Unless im missing it, it’s got no maxle option.

But then I would say that as I’m a third generation five owner.

Simon

Oh and £300 less than a five too!

Still overpriced. Looks good though.

freddiest

Overpriced, maybe. But I can see a few potential orange customers giving it consideration given the similarities.

Simon

I’ll be sticking with my Prophet I think.

Alpha1653

I ride a 2010 Heckler and can honestly say that the rear end on mine is stiff as hell. Speaking to someone who shall remain nameless but a while ago, trying to get details out of him about the 2013 Heckler, I asked about a maxle rear end and he said there was no point as the stiffness gains were absolutely marginal. If it aint broke, don’t fix it.

(And yes, I’m braced for the ‘Of course he said that, he works for them you idiot!’ comments!)

hughjayteens
    Free Member

What’s the head angle? Geo chart still shows 69 degrees of the 2010 model.

SBrock
    Free Member

its 67.5 degrees

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks much nicer than a 5 as well. I’m still interested in a heckler, love my bullit but its too much whereas this seems about right!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Currently on my second heckler and there is no need for a maxel at the back. Also no 5 owner will ever admit another bike is better.

Fox ctd is a great shock. So a good package there.

The only thing in the way of me just getting one as a replacement is that this one is going strong and a blur ltc

twohats
    Free Member

Still overpriced.

And a Five isn’t over priced!!??

Simon

Goes without saying 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

Are you not allowed to like both? I’v come from an alpine 160 to an older heckler and a patriot and like them all. Had to use a works angleset on the heckler though, new geo sounds better.

godzilla
    Free Member

Having owned lest years Heckler and this years Five, the Heckler is better at some things and the Five is better at others. If they have slackend Heckler it’s probably a good thing as mine felt like it could tuck under on steep descents, last years is not as stiff as the Five but I only noticed that on super rocky descents.
    I’m pleased they updated it, great bike great price, good on Santacruz.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Slight highjack, but Santa Cruz need to update the LTc as everyone is going slacker these days.
    New Heckler 67.5 deg
    Blur LT 67.6 deg
    Blur LTc 68.1 deg (same as the 2012 LT)

The LTc at 67.6 deg fitted with a Fox 34/160 would end up at a bit under 67 deg which would be perfect IMO

wors

What is the new HA? It is showing the 2010 geometry from the link up there.

Kryton57

It seems to me the off the shelf single pivot is making a revival – more than usual. The group I used to / sometimes ride with is now exclusively Hecklers after one went that way. ONe of the guys tested a few bikes, including a Tallboy and ended up with a Heckler.

It just seems the Heckler / 5 has a go-to ride / simplicity / geo / handling off the shelf that please the masses. Nothing complicated, nothing leftfield.

As a born worrier, I can’t help thinking that if my ASR-5 carbon swingarm broke that a 5/Heckler would be the only two bikes on my list as the “all round” option.

hodge

Yes I did Ha Ha!

wrecker
    Free Member

Slight highjack, but Santa Cruz need to update the LTc as everyone is going slacker these days.

I have mine with 36’s at 150mm and it feels perfect. It’s steeper than my 2011 5 spot but is so much more responsive. Cornering is almost telepathic. I was very surprised that I preferred the steeper, higher, shorter bike, what with everyone wanting long, low, slack. This is on all my riding (DH, XC). I’ll be upset of they do change it and may have to panic buy a spare frame!

mafiafish
    Free Member

I’ll be sticking with my Prophet I think.

The answer^ got the geometry right years before many other manufacturers. Who else did cheap, very light, fun, 65 degree trail bikes in 2009?

Kryton57

hodge – Member
    Yes I did Ha Ha!

Well hello sir! And how has the maiden voyage(s) been?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Anyone else noticed the Butcher and Nickel have dissappeared off the US site? I can’t help thinking they weren’t very popular, funny mix of single pivot and multi linkage but way heavier and more expensive than the Superlight and Heckler resapectively – being quietly dropped?

NB> full discloser, I’m a Superlight rider and would love a slack heckler. 🙂

Lummox

The great thing about single pivot is it suits me fine. Might not suit everyone but my five ticks my boxes ( minus the forward facing seat tube slot and hose routing along top of swing arm like the alpine)

Different strokes huh

hodge

Lovely, looking forward to riding further afield. I’m very pleased indeed with my new stead! Hope all is well with you 😀

Kryton57

hodge – Member
    Lovely, looking forward to riding further afield. I’m very pleased indeed with my new stead! Hope all is well with you

Excellent – I’ll stick an email round I have a ride pass this weekend so wouldn’t mind something other than local.

warpcow
    Free Member

Anyone else noticed the Butcher and Nickel have dissappeared off the US site? I can’t help thinking they weren’t very popular, funny mix of single pivot and multi linkage but way heavier and more expensive than the Superlight and Heckler resapectively – being quietly dropped?

They disappeared while ago, basically for the reason you describe.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

they dropped the price of the heckler to make room for the butcher/nickel in the range, keeping the heckler basic (no updates, cheap standard shock, limited paint options) as an “entry level” SC. Trouble is, no one bought the mid range bike, they either went for the bargain heckler or the VPP stuff…

Good to see them upgrading the heckler and not using it as an excuse to hike the price up.

wors

Has anyone got one of this years frames? Be interested in opinions

Bregante

The Heckler is the one bike I regret not buying. I demo’ed one about 5 years ago and loved it. The following day I was offered a great deal on an Enduro and bought that instead. Nowt wrong with the Enduro but I always wondered what if….

If I ever sell my Nic (and that is a very big if), I can see myself getting one of the newer ones….

hora
    Free Member

IMO it should have a lower BB, shorter stays and not look so ugly.

Plus for an updated frame… In real life itll be closer to 7lb actual. Fail.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I had a 2011 heckler, and it was ok, but totally ruined for me by the silly short top tube. Just felt far too cramped for me in the medium, and there is no way I should be needing a large (at 5’9). With an angleset it descended well, but thought it climbed like a dog.

Swapped it for my Enduro, which does everything just a little bit better.

hora
    Free Member

Just seems like theyve missed a trick here

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘2013 Heckler’ is closed to new replies.