Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • 2013 Bluebell Thread – Finally Arrived
  • dawson

a photo from Tuesday night, didn’t get any on tonight’s ride as it was pissing it down

singlespeedstu
    sharki
    Free Member

A few good smatterings on the lesser used woodlands of the Quantocks.
    But here’s a little cluster that’s popped up in the corner of my Orchard.

Another week and the canopy will be awash with Apple tree Blossom. It’s gonna look rather wonderful.

Sandwich

Last weekend out with the hound.

Lovely bluebells by Hamster, on Flickr

JoeG
    Free Member

We don’t have bluebells in the US. The local nature geeks go crazy over this stuff called trillium, though.

richmars

Bluebells and logs. The bluebells seem to be more widespread this year, popping up in places not seen before.

singlespeedstu

We don’t have bluebells in the US

That’s a real shame. 😥
    One of the best times of year for a ride in the woods here in the UK.
    The sight and smell is just awsum.

Bunnyhop

Beautiful.
    Noticed the local woods are slowly starting to turn blue, hoping for a good show this year.

I need to pick your brains everyone: An expert was saying that Spanish blue bells (an invasive species) are taking over our native flowers. The bees are pollinating the woodland variety with the Spanish and it’s causing a hybrid, which may in time wipe out our true native, woodland flower.
    The chap says that where possible to dig up the Spanish (mainly found in gardens and bought from garden centres) over the last few decades and get rid, probably burning is the best answer.
    Does anyone know anymore about this?

I have a problem as in my own garden are the native species, however both next door neighbours have the Spanish type, I really don’t think they would give a toss or appreciate someone like me knocking on the door and asking them to remove them, even though I would happily replace them with our own species. Any advice would be welcome.
    And no. I’m not going to go climbing the fence in the middle of the night with a flame thrower to exterminate them 🙂

Alex

No idea 🙂 These were ace tho

Malvern Bluebells by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Malvern Bluebells by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

cinnamon_girl

Some more pretty pics. 😀

Again, this has been a funny old year for bluebells. The woods that I’ve been visiting for absolutely donkey’s years do tend to disappoint sometimes. I’m now wondering whether it’s due to the woods not being ‘managed’ and becoming overgrown. Is that possible?

Bunnyhop – why not ask them and explain your concern? The worst they can say is ‘no’ but pretty hard to do that when you’re not actually asking them to do anything!

sharki
    Free Member

Whatever you do Bunny. Don’t strim them with bare flesh showing…

DezB
    Free Member

Walked my son to school this morning and the path was lined with bluebells. Took a couple of pics after the rain

Whydot

I have to do a lot with bluebells through work, and at the moment it’s the only real time of year to do anything regarding scent analysis! So I’m spending a lot of time in places like this….

molgrips
    Free Member

On Sunday I didn’t think it would be worth taking my camera as it was pissing down. I wish I had, the woods were fantastic even in the rain. Bluebells, mustard and whatever those little white things are.. anyone know?

yetitony
    Free Member

Lsst nights walk with the hound – Thrift Wood, Danbury, Essex.

Bluebells… by Yeti Tony, on Flickr

Danbury Singletrack by Yeti Tony, on Flickr

Missy the Wonder Dog! by Yeti Tony, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

Cool dog! 😆

Bunnyhop

C_G, yep I will have a go at asking, as you say rightly say, nothing to lose.

Sharki – Lol. Nope, no way I would strim anything with any bit of my body showing. Have you had a little accident?

fathomer

Swithland Wood, Leicestershire:

2013-05-13 by SamDexter, on Flickr

Drac

They’re out up here yet but I was darn sarf last week so got these.

Bluebells by Lee Collis, on Flickr

Bluebells by Lee Collis, on Flickr

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Sunday just gone Rolvenden in Kent.

steelfan
    Free Member

Banstead Woods Surrey

redthunder
    Free Member

Orton-ish…

Bluebells 2013 by SGMTB, on Flickr

White v Blue

cinnamon_girl

Well, what can I say – an absolutely stonking day for bluebells today. My favourite wood has the most amazing display, the best I’ve seen for a few years.

I visited my other little bluebell woods and wasn’t disappointed, even came across some areas where bluebells were thriving.

I actually walked, rather than cycled, through my favourite wood and the scent was beautiful. Could quite easily put up a tent and stay there just drinking it in.

None of my bluebell singletrack, don’t want anyone finding it. 😀

Fantastic time of year, enjoy it whilst you can!

CountZero

I was going to check out West Woods last week, but wind and horizontal rain dictated otherwise. Just had a look at Sunday’s forecast, and it ain’t scintillating, that’s for sure. I guess I’ll take a drive over, and hope for some breaks in the cloud to brighten things up for some photographs.
    Best I can hope for, really. 😐

cinnamon_girl

Count – I still haven’t been to West Woods and unless it’s dry I won’t. Not easy to plan a route around that area when it’s wet!

Stockton Wood in the Wylye Valley had some nice bluebells. My pics above are from Hampshire.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Last night was the best display, they’re looking at their best I’ve seen for a couple of years.
    Very late this year, saw my first ones a couple of weeks back down here, but last year they were out in late march!
    Queens Bower (Borthwood Copse), Isle of Wight.

tthew

Finally, some impressive displays in Cheshire.

CountZero

Managed to get over to West Woods today, sadly the sun came out for about five minutes just as I got there, then disappeared for the next two hours:

A brief splash of sun through the trees.

Bluebells and Sarsen

postierich
    Free Member

DSCF3239[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Obligatory new puppy in the bluebells.

CountZero

Some panoramas from today in West Woods:

rOcKeTdOg

bluebell cruzin

redthunder
    Free Member

White & Bluebells by SGMTB, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

redthunder
    Free Member

Riding in Blue by SGMTB, on Flickr

Going through a Orton’ish phase at the moment.

Hohum
    Free Member

Saw some this evening starting to grow in the woods in Mid Calder.

Ever so late this year 🙁

penguinni

Bangor, N Ireland earlier today.

amodicumofgnar

The track up to Baird’s monument near Crief from today’s bluebell heavy Crief / Comrie round of SMBO. Well it is the spring series. Lots of flowers and great dusty / tacky trails.

JohnnyPanic

Local woodsy singletrack
    [img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5345/8852235539_b74f79a96a_c.jpg[/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘2013 Bluebell Thread – Finally Arrived’ is closed to new replies.