Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 2012 XT – reset pads query, or something different..?
  • yunki
    Free Member

ok..

moving a 2012 XT front brake from bike to bike, the bite point is now very very immediate, and the brake howls like a banshee..

I’m not aware of altering any settings on the brake, I could have possibly squeezed the lever a little while cleaning, but not enough so that the pads rub the disk..

any ideas on what this could be or how to fix it..?
    I’ve googled a pad reset and Park talk about undoing the retention clips, letting oil out and summoning a demon using black magic and sacrificial virgins.. is there any harm in pushing the pistons back with a flathead screwdriver..?

somouk
    Free Member

Thats what I did on my 2012 XT the other week when my dad squeezed the lever with no wheel in and it worked just fine.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Do not use a screwdriver on the pistons. They are ceramic and don’t like sharp metal objects pressed against them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

plastic tyre lever is ideal or lever between and old set of pads

yunki
    Free Member

ok.. pistons pushed back, bite point adjusted, brake working superbly..

all accompanied by an ear-splitting wail.. 🙁

The back brake is as smooth and silent as ever

richmtb

Clean your front rotor?

Or oddly enough dirty it with some mud, this sorts out sqealing brakes for me

Mister-P
    Free Member

Calliper centred perfectly?

rondo101
    Free Member

Have you moved rotors from bike to bike too? No idea why, but I’ve always found that swapping brakes but not rotors often ends in screeching from shimano. Spraying water on the pads after running them for a while often sorts it for a bit, but I never found a long-term solution other than to change the pads.

thedon
    Free Member

Clean rotor, lightly sand pads, make sure caliper is aligned properly.

yunki
    Free Member

after trying all of the fiddly stuff over and over again to no avail, I took my bike to the highest point around and then roosted the long road descent back down..

turns out that giving the pads a very hot bedding in did the trick, problem solved..

I’ve not had experience of pads needing bedding in again like that.. strange shizzle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘2012 XT – reset pads query, or something different..?’ is closed to new replies.