Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2012 Shimano M785 XT Brake query
  • tallie
    Free Member

I’m looking at upgrading to the new 2012 XT brakes. They’re about £30 cheaper for a pair from Rose in Germany than anywhere else I can find, but I’d need to swap the hoses over as they’ll arrive pre bled and configured with right lever back brake and left lever front.

I assume that I’ll need to bleed the brakes after swapping the hoses over? I’ll need to buy a bleed kit (+funnel) which combined with the faff factor means I’m not saving much by buying from Rose.

I’d be grateful for your thoughts / tips on the ease of swapping hoses over and bleeding (assuming it’s necessary) vs just buying from a UK distributor.

rondo101
    Free Member

You’re going to need the funnel eventually in order to bleed the brakes. And don’t buy the shimano “bleed kit” as it’s a rip-off – 4mm hose, a large syringe & some mineral oil is all you’ll need.

And there’s a good chance you’ll need to trim the hoses regardless of where you buy them from.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5b8NM4jVU[/video]

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t need a syringe. If you buy a bottle of Shimano mineral oil it comes with some plastic tube, pop that on the bleed nipple and attach a receptacle of sorts. Funnel on level. Top up with mineral oil. Bleed. Takes 10 minutes, very satisfying.

neilferther
    Free Member

Hi,
    I bought a bike while I was in the USA, it has the same Shimano brakes, I just undid the nuts on the unions at the reservoir end and swapped the hoses over. I left the covers on the reservoirs and not a drop of fluid was spilt. No bleeding was necessary.
    Hope this helps.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I swapped my Rose XT brakes over, very carefully unscrewing before cutting. No fluid loss, no bleeding needed.

If you do need to bleed, funnel is only about £4.

Awesome brakes, very powerful, I’m impressed. Pads supplied lasted about 4 wet rides though, replacement sintered going strong.

cp

LOADS of info in here:-

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-xt-m785-brakes

Great brakes. Original resin pads are not great IME – overheat in the dry and wear soooo quickly in the wet/mud of the peaks.

I’ve put SS Sintered in mine now, and they are superb.

tallie
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice gents – I fitted the brakes today.

I did need to trim the hoses but didn’t need to bleed – I followed this Shimano data sheet:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0008-downloadFile.html/02)%20Brake%20Hose%20Trimming.pdf

All fairly painless.

coatesy
    Free Member

Conversely, I find using the bleed cup on every new set i’ve fitted has purged a shedload of air bubbles, and firmed up the lever no-end.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2012 Shimano M785 XT Brake query’ is closed to new replies.