Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 2012 marzocchi 44 rc3 ti reliability?
  • pondy
    Free Member

any other 44 owners had issues with there forks? got mine in july last year and after a few months the coating on the stanchions started to flake off slightly, sent back to windwave and within 3 days i had a brand new set of forks back. in november they started to knock on compression, sent to windwave right after new year, windwave could hear the noise but could not find what was causing it so they sent them to italy who said they have found an issue, repaired it and are now sending it back. im now thinking when they come back to test they are ok and put them on ebay as i cant deal with them going wrong again, maybe get some rockshox revs?

passtherizla
    Free Member

repaired it and are not sending it back. i

huh? they’ve fixed your forks but won’t send them back to you? 😉

pondy
    Free Member

fixed 🙂

defaultslipper
    Free Member

I got a set last year and they’ve been working well. Think there was a thread on here a couple of months back about compression knocking noise but only over small bumps. The solution from windwave was changing one of the top washers i think. I’ve not been riding as much as i would like so not covered massive number of miles and can hear a quiet knocking but could just be the oil moving around. I’ll find out when they come up for service!

pondy
    Free Member

windwave claimed they have not heard of this fault before nor could they find what was causing it, been in italy for 2 weeks now. it started off as a slight knock on small bumps like you said but got alot worse untill i didnt trust riding with them

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Here is the thread, about half way down there is a post about this (the title states 55 but the comment is about a set of 44). Searching on this forum there is a lot of praise for this fork (and even more for its bigger brother, the 55). And it has reminded me of the extra long warranty and that windwave do a reasonable service at £65.
    Linky

hora
    Free Member

DONT bother with Windwave. The mechanics are good blokes but the products are junk.

Bikeradar reviews are hit and miss but their 44 reviews ring true in parts taking into account the products.

Utter crap Marzocchi. I bought their products for years and post-RC2 ALL failed within weeks of rocky riding.

If you do buy Marzocchi buy backup forks. Its a two week turnaround for warranty repairs.

kimbers

my 2010 44 rc3 ti have been brilliant all year they handled 6 enduro races and plenty of rocky abuse superbly

if they did break id happily pay to get them fixed, the ride is just so much better than my floats

hora
    Free Member

You had badly set up Fox’s then or basic R float open bath. Fox do dampin better.
    Marzocchi do heavy forks better. IMO if they are only set/one bike and you ride non-trail centre technical you’ll see the failings.

jimr80
    Free Member

I have two pairs of 44 rc3 ti on both my bikes. one 2010 version 140mm and one being 2012 with no issue to date. I would like to try them with the softer spring, other than that their brill. 😀

hora
    Free Member

Have only one bike and ride everywhere on them. They need 3yrs warranty. Customers dont trust them for a reason and where can you buy their ranges nowadays? Dealers are sick of Marzocchi.

crankrider
    Free Member

Hora – i was under the impression the 44 and 55 ti’s were fantastic performers and very reliable.

Every fork can have issues – fox forks for example shed their anodizing as bushings run dry very easily and need plenty of servicing.

My 55ti – no problem so far 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Marzocchi 55s here and very happy with them, riding up here in the Lakes is normally the first area to find issues with reliability,with the quality ride these forks give I would be more than happy to pay for repairs

hora
    Free Member

Crankrider I never had those issues and I ride in the peaks. Mazz repairs cost though.

Even RC3’s are disapearing new. Why?

Wonder what dealers say.

Im a lifelong fan of Mazz. Always failed on me.

jimr80
    Free Member

Hora

did you not posted a wanted add last week for marz 44s or 55s
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wtd-marzocchi-44-55-micro-or-rc3-15-or-20mm

hora
    Free Member

Yep. Then I got the bill for my 55’s and read a few reviews.

pondy
    Free Member

my 44came back from marzocchi in italy on friday, put them on the bike yesterday and took them for a ride, could not tell if the noise is fixed due to all the snow but they feel much harder, before i could nearly bottom out the fork with the compression on soft now i can only get 100mm travel, took the black cap off and removed the spring and can only compress to 100mm before it locks up. removed the damper cap and compress, after 100mm oil pisses out from the removed cap, so it had to much oil from factory and hydro locked reducing travel. out of the box the springs were not fitted to the wiper seals, not upside down on the bike stand draining the oil, the oil seems very thick compaired to the 7.5w fox oil thats going to go in them

fivespot
    Free Member

I came accross this thread while googling an answer to my 44 RC3 Ti knocking. They are a second hand pair I bought in near mint condition, and obviously not used and abused. However, they perform superbly as expected, BUT they have an anoying tapping/knocking noise. I had already stripped/cleaned and put in fresh fluid. All looked very nice inside as I was expecting. But I could’nt live with that small but anoying noise. So stripped them again yesterday to see what could be causing the noise. I refitted the lowers into one stancion only at a time and put oil in as needed, and cyled them by hand. No noise from the spring side, but when I did the same on the damping side (no air pres added) and cyled them up and down, I could hear this little tapping noise. Stripped them again and removed the damper assembly. Obviously this had lost most of its oil, and after a few strokes of the damper shaft, it had lost all of it. But I still could’nt find the noise. This is factory sealed (rolled by machine) so can’t be opened, which realy p*%$ed me off. I was very close to sticking it in the lathe and turning the end off to get inside. But I had one last idea to try. I taped up the multiple hole at the bottom of the damper tube that let in/out all the oil. I then cycled the damper rod up and down fast to the air inside was compressed or sucked, and BINGO a tapping noise from a little insert at the top of the damper tube that is held in with a circlip. The little insert was shuttling up and down, and hitting the circlip, making that noise. I will shim the gap to prevent this, and hopefully have a silent fork.

Reading that some folks have paid for a new damper assembly (£200) to cure this was what drove me to try and find a cure (I’m tight)
    The good news is its a cheap fix for what should turn out to be a good fork.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘2012 marzocchi 44 rc3 ti reliability?’ is closed to new replies.