Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2012 DH Series
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I did a quick search so I dont think this has been done but I think its fantastic news.

The German website http://www.mtb-news.de is carrying an interview with Raymond Dulieu from Freecaster with the news that they will run a Pro DH series in parallel to the UCI World Cup series!

Raymond Dulieu has states: “…in 2012 there will be a Pro DH type series, which is initiated by Freecaster and will include as before the World Cup supported by Nissan intended.”

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/freecaster-launch-2012-pro-dh-series.html

2012 Freecaster DH Series Confirmed
    We’ve been in the know about a new Freecaster supported DH series for awhile now, but only today has information about the series been publicly released. The creation of this series is in some way a direct response to the UCI’s demand for more money to broadcast next year’s World Cup series.

A quick run down:
    For 2012, a series of eight Freecaster/Nissan downhill races will be broadcast online, for free, and in high-definition.
    Dates and locations work well with the UCI World Cup series, enabling racers to attend both events if they choose to do so.
    Prize money is substantially larger than the UCI World Cup series.
    Open to amatuers and pros alike. The top amateurs will have the chance to compete against the pros.
    The series is on the UCI calendar, but is managed privately.
    Several major teams and riders have confirmed that they will attend.
    Crankworx Whistler is rumored to be included in the package as well.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/2012-Freecaster-DH-Series-Confirmed,359?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=spotlight

I cant wait!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhhh, this could be exciting, especialy if they relax the rules on skinsuits, helmet peaks, aero goggles/visor ets.

Only downside is we have 2 made for TV DH series, so hopefully I’m wrong in predicting very flat/open courses.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s interesting but I suspect we still don’t have the full story.

I wonder are Freecaster still negotiating with UCI for coverage of the UCI’s DH events? Or will they just be covering these Nissan events instead?

It’s hard to point the finger without knowing all the figures, but it’s surprising that the UCI don’t seem to appreciate the benefit to the popularity of the sport that free-to-access TV/web coverage has had.

grum
    Free Member

Ohhhhh, this could be exciting, especialy if they relax the rules on skinsuits, helmet peaks, aero goggles/visor ets.

How will that make it more exciting?

chakaping
    Free Member

Come on, we all have our little sexual pecadilloes.

Live and let live I say.

grum
    Free Member

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because however much you make motorbike noises in your head, it’s not motorcross.

Downhill Sking – skinsuit

Cross country raceing – bib/jersey

Downhill raceing – MC-Hammer pants.

chakaping
    Free Member

It appears there will be a UK round, which may not be at Fort William.

Any guesses/suggestions where?

More likely to be Innerleithen than Aston Hill, I imagine.

hels
    Free Member

Glencoe ??

Anybody seen any dates anywhere for this ??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any guesses/suggestions where?

If it’s Inners it might move the chairlift debate allong a bit.

I’d quite like it to be Wales though (and not Cumcarn), somewhere properly rooty, rocky and steep. Langollen? Would make a good natural alternative to Fort Bill, and work on imroving toruism as (IMO) Scotland gets far too much of the money/attention.

Brycey
    Free Member

Langollen is a great track however I’d imagine chairlift/gondola will be a pre-requisite. I’m also not convinced that road in would be ideal for a World-Cup-esque event.

Ewan
    Free Member

Leith hill run from the tower from what I saw posted on the web – lots of spectators apparently.

chakaping
    Free Member

They did road uplift in S Africa and at LA Bresse on the WC DH races this year so I think uplift vehicles would be tolerated.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Leith hill run from the tower from what I saw posted on the web – lots of spectators apparently.

You owe me a coffee and a new keyboard!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Having been to a few WCs this year, this can only be a good thing. Think the laid back attitude of Crankworx touring europe. No UCI numpties.

grum
    Free Member

Cashmoor climb from this thread would make a good DH track the other way, might be a bit extreme though.

andytherocketeer

Anything beyond the jurisdiction of UCI can only be a good thing in my book.
    What about 4X ? Would that be included in Freecaster’s thing? IMHO that’s the most spectator-friendly version of competitve MTBing, especially at venues where the DH course is largely technical in the forest (which imho is better than the fast grassy, open, courses).

isn’t freecaster something to do with extreme tv? if so there’s scope for plenty more coverage on real TV too. Did the UCI stuff actually have anything on TV at all, other than highlights of the World’s?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2012 DH Series’ is closed to new replies.