Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2012 – a key year for Britain
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Ok, so a lot of things not right globally, but despite it all there does seem to be a very different feeling around the UK at the moment.

The Jubilee, The Olympics, Wiggins etc seems to have put some pride back into the UK. I personally am not a patriotic person and generally patriotism doesn’t sit comfortably with me and I’ll be the first to roll my eyes when anyone says ‘I’m proud to be…’. I remember not so long ago that it wasn’t the done thing to wave Union Jacks at least not without a sense of irony but it does seem that actually it’s ok to like Britain and like being British at the moment.

Am I off the mark or is there a strong sense of Britishness at the moment?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Best country in the world by a mile, you should be proud (I’m a “septic”)

druidh
    Free Member

2014 will be the key year for Great Britain

bikeytom
    Free Member

How do you figure Dr. Uidh?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Do you feel that we have more self confidence than we have had in decades? I wonder it takes a crisis for Britons to wake up. Like the spirit of king Arthur who awakes and takes up excaliber when needed. Racial memory, myth, wonder.

I have been drinking

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, but it’s nice to see flags being waved by someone other than the BNP.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dunno, but it’s nice to see flags being waved by someone other than the BNP.

^^This^^

There’s nothing wrong with being proud to be British. Let’s celebrate it.

makkag
    Free Member

deffo – great year to be british .. we have done and still do so many things well but the queens celebrations and olympics within a few months have put us rightly so in the spotlight and do you know what, its shown our true colours as a passionate nation who wear our heart on our sleave .. a bit humble and a lot of passion .. i live just outside london and work takes me there often & i have never seen so many smiles .. for all the naysayers come i say come and soak up the atmosphere around london at the moment its a bloody nice place to be. hopfully the effects will be felt for a while yet !

sorry also been drinking

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seeing London showcased from abroad has been good. Nothing but praise coming out of the local commentary for the venues, support and action. Nice to stick it to the doubters

perthmtb
    Free Member

The Olympics can be an opportunity for a country to ‘re-brand’ itself. Sydney cast Australia as the laid back friendly country, Beijing was the coming out party for the next world superpower, but I’m not sure yet what the U.K. wants to get out of London? Better decide quickly as the opportunity to grasp the wave of optimism and national unity and make something more lasting from it is a fleeting one….

yunki
    Free Member

but I’m not sure yet what the U.K. wants to get out of London?

to be accepted as the nation of middle class whiney cockbags… on bikes!

enfht
    Free Member

patriotism doesn’t sit comfortably with me

it wasn’t the done thing to wave Union Jacks at least not without a sense of irony

Am I off the mark

yep

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Some people are easily pleased and easily swayed. Just wait until the smoke clears from the extinguished olympic flame and we realise that dispite the Great Distractions we’re even deeper in the doo-doo…

CaptJon
    Free Member

Putting the ‘Great’ into Greater Brittany.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2012 – a key year for Britain’ is closed to new replies.