Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • 2011 Remedy 9.9 = £6500
  • nickegg
    Free Member

£6.5k on a hobby? After all, thats what MTB to most of us is. You do it in the evenings, weekend, holidays etc etc in much the same way people pay golf club membership fees or own track day cars/motorbikes.

It truly baffles me that there are those amoungst us who, despite spending what most of the population regard as an obscene amount of money on a bicycle, are then questioning who would spend that much on a bike! Abit like those that complain about the price of a latte at a trail centre or the cost of parking before riding off on several grands worth of bike.

tonyg2003

There is a Pinarello Dogma model with Super Record, SRM power cranks and lightweight wheels. Which must be £8K plus.

They do exist too. The guy I was chatting to at Pealake tea shop a couple of weeks ago had his parked next to us.

Strangely I think it looked crap!

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I've ridden the 2010 9.8 Remedy and whilst it's too much travel for my local riding a friend blitzed everyone on the run into Morzine (Passportes Du Soleil) a couple of weeks ago. It has it's place and I think that almost everyone on this forum spends up the limit that they can afford/justify for the riding that they do. Lets face it you're not going to by a Halfords special if you've got £2500 to spend are you?

£4000 for my bike. Ridden twice a week, 52x2x4 = 400, so £10 per ride. Green fees at the local golf club are £25-£45. Personally I think I get value for money. All of a sudden £6500 could be justified to the wife…. Perhaps…..

ianv
    Free Member

"Add item to Basket to show carriage costs"

£6.5K on a bike and you have to pay delivery charges!!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I really don't get your view either nickegg. Is there no reasonable upper limit? How about £100k for a pushbike, could you justify that?

I commented because I thought it was unusual. I thought my 2008 remedy at £2000 was expensive. But obviously I'm just a poor fool.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

I thought my bike was expensive at £2k! But I've had so much use out of it I couldn't care less how much it costs.

If that bike stays in someones garage and never used, then its a waste. But if it's used to its potential then why not?

You get what you pay for and its probably at the pincacle of mtb design.

brakes
    Free Member

there was a full-suss Storck bike at Bike Radar Live last weekend that costs £18k
    hydraulic gears, electronic suspension adjustment, carbon everything, 160mm travel and weighed 16 lbs (!)

flange
    Free Member

I think Storck have the new 0.6 coming out soon. The smaller the number, the bigger the price…..

ratherbeintobago

£6.5K on a bike and you have to pay delivery charges!!

IIRC Trek don't allow delivery – so you'd have to go & get it.

Strangely I think it looked crap!

Pinarello Dogma looks like it's melted, IMHO.

I'd be willing to bet that the new Jekyll is frantically expensive too – custom shock, full carbon…

Andy

MrGrim

I wonder if Hardies will get one in for display? Might ask next time i'm in 😛

flange
    Free Member

Set of those Reynolds Razors, Clavicula cranks and a super record groupset and you're looking at 7k before you've even got to the frame and forks.

Xan
    Free Member

"It's alot of monies!!!!!!"

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tell you what, I bet somebody will buy one, then start changing the components, or strip it down for the frame! 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

How do they get away with these prices for road bikes?!
    You don't even have fiddly sliding bits, designed to work in mud and on a mountain!

tonyg2003

Road bikes – The less you get the more you pay.

I know a person (closely relatd to a regular contributor here) who has a £8K 14lb road bike.

You pay the premium for bespoke parts. Of course the law of deminishing returns gets more and more relevant when you get to high end MTBs.

Lets face it around £750 (hardtail) or +£1000 (FS) buys you a fantastic MTB bike these days.

I payed £1100 in 1990 for my Orange Aluminium. Thumbies, rigid and you had to regrease the BB/hubs every couple of weeks. Thats a £300 (or less) bike now.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It is a lot, but if you want 1 bike to do it all it's sort of justifiable.

For example, I own 3 mountain bikes (plus the 2 road bikes, but obviously the remedy is no replacement for that). Each is worth £3-3.5k. All of a sudden that's near enough ten grand. For a hobby. If the Remedy could replace all of them (which it kind of could), as well as having a better spec, then it sort of makes sense.

Sort of.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I just think of money as options.

No money = No option (£79 bike from Tesco)
    Loads of money = Loads of options (£6.5k Trek or whatever you want)

Also remember that "Adults are just kids with money"!

theflatboy
    Free Member

nickegg – Member
    £6.5k on a hobby? After all, thats what MTB to most of us is. You do it in the evenings, weekend, holidays etc etc in much the same way people pay golf club membership fees or own track day cars/motorbikes.

It truly baffles me that there are those amoungst us who, despite spending what most of the population regard as an obscene amount of money on a bicycle, are then questioning who would spend that much on a bike! Abit like those that complain about the price of a latte at a trail centre or the cost of parking before riding off on several grands worth of bike.

i'm more amazed about the fact that i have spent an obscene amount of money on one of my bikes and yet that is so much more. i guess it's the point where i can't see the justification for a mountain bike, however good, being that expensive compared to what else you could buy with that money.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I know a person (closely relatd to a regular contributor here) who has a £8K 14lb road bike.

12.9lbs with the Lightweights…

ooo000ooo, if you won the lottery, would you carry on riding a 2k bike?
    Also, if there weren't these super bikes with massive price tags to cover the R&D, technology wouldn't move on and we'd still all be spending our money on cable braked, steel singlespeeds….

footflaps

They are just optimising their range for the market place. There are always people attracted by very expensive things eg Rolex watches, and given that someone will always buy a top end bike no matter how much it costs, if the extra cost of adding the bike to the range is less than the margin on the sales of the top end models, the manufacturer has made a profit and everyone is happy.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘2011 Remedy 9.9 = £6500’ is closed to new replies.