Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • 2011 Orange Five SE £4,400 !!!!
  • Brycey
    Free Member

SBZ Are you saying the Five is rubbish for being £4.4k, or for being a Five.

PS You should get together with the fannies I work with, I get the “you could buy a car for that” quote virtually daily.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’m saying that while it might be the bike for some, it isnt up to the hype that surrounds it and it is certainly not worth £4400

merc350
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

I’m saying that while it might be the bike for some, it isnt up to the hype that surrounds it and it is certainly not worth £4400

So you had one and sold it? or youve ridden one for a weekend. If not then your comments are academic… 😯

Brycey
    Free Member

The £4.4k doesn’t relate to Orange though does it (the frame price is fairly average), any xc/trail bike with XTR etc is surely going to be around that price? Just find it interesting why people are so against a home grown brand/bike that despite your claims of it being the MTB version of a European supermini, is consistently highly rated time and time again.

merc350
    Free Member

Brycey – Member

The £4.4k doesn’t relate to Orange though does it (the frame price is fairly average), any xc/trail bike with XTR etc is surely going to be around that price? Just find it interesting why people are so against a home grown brand/bike that despite your claims of it being the MTB version of a European supermini, is consistently highly rated time and time again.

+1

rockhopper70

Orange have only just got the frame stiffness of the 5 sorted out though….according to MBR.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

merc350 – had one on loan for a week. Decent enough bike, but certainly no more than that.

Brycey – where did I say that it was the equivalent of a supermini?

I’m not against it in any way shape or form. Just not a fanboy.

merc350
    Free Member

merc350 – had one on loan for a week. Decent enough bike, but certainly no more than that.

Furry muff… 😆 You have the right to your opinion same as me……This mountain bike lark is such a subjective thing :mrgreen:

Brycey
    Free Member

“Fiat 500 won car of the year in 2008.”

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant winning a “Best…” didn’t mean anything, as the above European supermini won such an accolade without being particularly inspiring. My mistake.

I’m not a fanboy either (I don’t have one), but a very large proportion of the UK biking public can only be so wrong.

merc350
    Free Member

rockhopper70 – Member

Orange have only just got the frame stiffness of the 5 sorted out though….according to MBR.

I have heard this as well from a mate who develops prototypes for orange and another mate came across it in a forum. They have had a problem with the rear maxle causing frame failures on their prototypes…

Rockhopper, did you read this online if so have you got the link?

soulrider
    Free Member

balls to the hype..

its a great bike..

Dancake
    Free Member

I wouldnt know the difference between a £4400 bike and a £1000 quid bike if I rode it

There. I’ve said it

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Brycey – you’ve lost me completely.

And I would argue that the vast majority of the UK biking public could be very very wrong very easily.

rockhopper70

No link…it was in the MBR update on the long term test a few months ago. I started a thread on here about the update that stated the five had an achilles heel in frame stiffness yet had won bike if the year for a few years.

Brycey
    Free Member

Must have imagined your car of the year analogy then, sorry.

merc350
    Free Member

And I would argue that the vast majority of the UK biking public could be very very wrong very easily.

Probably easily led by the popular MTB press……followed the hype 2008,2009,2010… 😈

So we will see loads of MTBers trading their Fives in for trek ex’s in the next few months as its just won what mountain bikes trail bike of the year. 😆

I will keep my eye on ebay for some five bargains 😆

merc350
    Free Member

djglover
    Free Member

Jesus

I just bought, taxed, insured and remaped a 56 plate seat ibiza Sport for about the same amount as that. A few years ago I had a 224 and a meta 5.5 and combined they didn’t cost me £4400.

Northwind

Course, MBR also said the extra-slack Strange they got had The Best Geometry Ever and then when they got the production Five and it was different, it also had The Best Geometry Ever. Then reviewed the 2011 Five and said “The wheels are weak and too skinny and the brakes down’t work properly. 10/10!”. Ah, MBR.

trumplesneaker
    Free Member

I love Orange but I have to say 4.4k does seem rather alot for a Five but for myself, XTR doesn’t seem that exciting.

My Alpine 160 with Talas fork, branded b/b, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, chain guide and CCDB has cost me less than 4k with careful after market purchases. I think I’d get a Five Pro and spec it up myself, lots more fun.

nwilko
    Free Member

XTR…
    wtf makes no sense on this bike.. not a race bike, why blow a fortune on racers XTR thats overpriced and underbuilt.. all mountain my ar*e..
    £4.4k is justified by the buyer as their #1 priority is how much it cost followed by its XTR you know..
    nuts, so much for a recession..

backhander
    Free Member

I think for £4400 they should have some blingy wheels and maxle rear at the least. I’d be a bit upset to fork out another £100 for maxle, then £100 for custom paint, and those hope race brakes aren’t really suited to a bike like this IMO. The pro and the AM look fair buys though.

Crag
    Free Member

Be it good or bad, that’s a lot of cash for a push iron!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

FFS, here we go again. If youv’e got the dosh & you want as British a FS bike as you can get, get a 5. Mine was £3800.00 for parts only (list) but I paid £3300.00 for it built up, so it was more of a ‘customy’ type.
    It suits me, I paid cash (robbed a bank) & after 21 years of riding all sorts…It’s fooking awesome. IN MY OPINION.
    All this ‘it’s not suited for this, it’s not suited for that,’ bollox, is just that, IE, bollox. If it suits you (sir) it’s suits you.

grantway
    Free Member

Think you find that all Manufacurers bikes blinged or not
    are well exspensive this and the coming year.
    But the Orange frames only goes up in cost by 10 percent each year like all other manufacturers.

backhander
    Free Member

All this ‘it’s not suited for this, it’s not suited for that,’ bollox

Read the singletrack review (this months mag) of the hope race brakes mate. And calm down FFS.

D0NK

819s an old design (i’m still running one from back in 2004ish) thats strong and UST-able, heavy tho and about bloody time they updated it. Everyone is factory wheel or latex tubeless now no one seems interested in UST rims (except me)

this is their flagship xc bike (burlier AM is available), full gears, xtr and lightness is about right, sounds pretty conservative price for top of the range to me. 819s seem a little bit out of place tho.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Trek Remedy 9.8 = 5k
    Trek Remedy 9.9 = 6.5k

I’m sure lots of other manufacturers are the same. Giant Trance is close to 7k for instance:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Trance-X-Advanced-SL-0-Mountain-Bike-2011-Full-Suspension-MTB_39475.htm

Orange offering the Five with XTR and top end kit makes sense to me.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I weighed my old xm819s and they were about 550g each for the rim and eyelets.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

That’s nothing – I managed to up-spec that five to £5178!

🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

well, this Scott is 8,000 pounds AND its a hardtail!
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/scale-899-2011-mountain-bike-ec025354

The Orange Five is a bargain!

stumpy01

I haven’t really looked into it, but isn’t this epxensive 5, just like their ‘top of the range’ one?
    It fills a need in that it competes with other manufacturer’s in the ‘blingy’ bike competition and enables them to say “our mega-trail bike weighs only 25lbs” – or whatever the expensive kit gets it down to, even though that weight only applies to the top model??

It’s also the bike for people with a load of cash to spank and have to buy the ‘best’ even if they won’t benefit from it.

All the other companies do it; not sure what the big deal is.

xiphon
    Free Member

Yes it’s expensive, but so’s a Ferrari.

They might only sell a handful of Five SE’s – but a bucket load of the cheapest model.

If I had £4.4K burning a hole in my pocket, then I might consider buying a SE. But then again, putting things in perspective – if I had £4K *spare* to spend on a bike, £4K wouldn’t even be a dent on the bank balance.

For the moment, I’m happy on my Patriot (2000)…

Jerome
    Free Member

SLX would be better on that bike..

DT78
    Free Member

That’s an awful lot of money for any mountain bike that realistically I’d ride 30-40 odd times a year (hardtail more suitable where I am) – think I need to accept I’ve been priced out of buying new full sussers these days…

Fair play to the guys that have the money to buy one, I probably would if I could!

sheffield43
    Free Member

The £4,400 price tag is irrelevant to me as I’ll not be speccing a bike with XTR, etc in the forseeable future. £1,400 for the frame is of interest as I’ll likely be getting a new frame in the next couple of years. Seems a lot when, for example, a Heckler is £900 but horses for courses and it is UK built which is a definate bonus.

traildog
    Free Member

Not going to argue about the price, it just seems that bikes, forks and components are all getting pretty pricey.

But I will argue about the 819 comment. I’d have said 719s are the perfect rim for such a bike. 819s are pretty heavy but are UST if that’s what you want then they’re great.

Are people actually killing 819s? I would think that it’s more poor wheel build if they are, especially on a bike like the Five.

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve yet to destroy an 819, and I’m a heavy old sod who tends to plough through stuff and land drops with all the finesse of an arthritic hippo.

They’re fine for anything short of full DH, I’d say; if you’re regularly breaking them then your wheel build might be the issue rather than the rim.

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

It’s XTR! £400 Chainset, £180 Cassette and on it goes. Stick with the Pro at £2800 if it’s too bling for you.

And Merc350, the fault is with the Maxle lite axles being tapered inside the Hope hub. Nothing to do with the frame. The Maxle lite axles have now had a re design and are now parallel to eliminate axle failures.

neilc1881
    Free Member

£4400 is a lot of money, but there are plenty of options to get one cheaper.
    I’ve got a 2010 five pro which I upgraded to the 819s, they died. One flattened rim and the other a pretty hefty wobble within one month of purchase. Currently run a pair of cheap as chips Superstar Evo wheels on their own brand DH rims and it’s great (although a little heavier!). I wouldn’t have said I was a bull-in-a-china-shop kind of rider but do take the five down things my old patriot used to revel in.

Neil

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘2011 Orange Five SE £4,400 !!!!’ is closed to new replies.