Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • 2011 Orange Five SE £4,400 !!!!
  • Horse
    Free Member

Doesn’t this sound a tad excessive? I know it’s XTR and all that but that’s a shed load of cash for a bike with a pretty cheap (in the big scale of things) frame.

speaker2animals

Isn’t this a UK fabricated frame? So probably not that cheap.

If you don’t want one. don’t buy one.

timc
    Free Member

great bike… not cheap…

depends how often you buy a bike i guess

Horse
    Free Member

The frame is £1400. I think 3k for the rest of it is a lot. And yes, I do want one but I’m not paying that. Will put myself and my Alpine 160 on a diet!

Northwind

2011 XTR isn’t cheap… Not what I’d choose though even if money allowed, why is 30 speed good for a bike like a Five? I gather they don’t deal that well with doubles because of the poor swingarm clearance but still. You’d want better than 819s with that as well, again seems like a poor choice for a Five.

I guess people who want one will buy one but it doesn’t make that much sense to me.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

What’s wrong with 819’s? Great rims, but not as fashionable as Stans. I think it’s the best choice for that sort of bike.
    Not everyone wants a double and bash set up either; triples are more trail. Nice bike, nice spec.

I don’t recall any threads on here when the top Trek or Cannondale prices were announced, and they need deeper pockets than the Five SE. But there will always be the anti-Orange brigade.

bol

I appreciate that this thread is about price, not aesthetics, bit I can’t think of a weirder combination than the industrial folded metal chic of the 5, and the pretty pretty bling of 2011 XTR. Odd.

igm

Add a Maxle rear end and a custom paint colour for the full effect

j_me
    Free Member

I Thought they would have marketed a HammerSchmidt version for 2011.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Insert one of STW’s template replies:

If you don’t want one. don’t buy one.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I actually have four of these.

One in use, one in repairs, one being built up ready for deployment and a fourth held back in reserve.

It’s all proving prohibitively expensive though, so I’m going to get a fleet of nuclear submarines instead.

Horse
    Free Member

Scottchegg, I currently ride an Alpine 160 and a p7, I’ve owned a Patriot, a Five and an Evo2, if that counts as being in the anti-orange brigade then yes, I’m in.

ianpinder
    Free Member

They will still sell all that they make, therefore they have got the pricing right. If you can’t afford it buy something else.

Northwind

“ScottChegg – Member

What’s wrong with 819’s? Great rims, but not as fashionable as Stans. I think it’s the best choice for that sort of bike.
    Not everyone wants a double and bash set up either; triples are more trail. Nice bike, nice spec. “

What’s wrong with 819s mainly is they won’t stand up to the punishment a 5 is capable of, and they’re a fair bit too heavy for their moderate strength. I’m happy enough with them on my rigid but are they really what you’d choose for a £4500 big hitting trailbike? Really? Stans Flows would be stronger, they can support bigger tyres, and they’re lighter to boot. For instance. Arch too.

I’d be happy enough with 819s on a cheaper build but it’s a very stingy choice on such an otherwise top end bike. I’d sooner have XT and better wheels meself.

The triple is just an odd choice IMO for the type of bike- “triples are more trail” doesn’t stand up at all in my eyes, 22-36 is a superb trailbike setup and gives precious little away for its benefits… But I don’t think there can be much argument about the wheels. If you’re going to spend big money on a bike why would you stint on those? I guess Orange’s market research suggests people aren’t bothered though considering how many of their bikes come with relatively low end rim choices.

Think it’s quite funny to see comments about the Orange h8erz, that to me’s a spec that doesn’t do the Five justice- it’s bling but it’s not smart. You could build a £5000 Five that’d be stunning, that’s just not it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Overpriced rubbish.

retro83
    Free Member

What’s wrong with 819s mainly is they won’t stand up to the punishment a 5 is capable of, and they’re a fair bit too heavy for their moderate strength. I’m happy enough with them on my rigid but are they really what you’d choose for a £4500 big hitting trailbike? Really? Stans Flows would be stronger, they can support bigger tyres, and they’re lighter to boot.

Are people destroying 819s then? Mine have stayed true and dent free for 2 years, and I’ve treated them pretty badly (in addition I am quite fat)

Also, these are the weights from their websites:
    Stans ZTR Flow rims = 470 g
    Mavic 819 = 450 g

Seem pretty similar, could be inaccurate tho

merc350
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

Overpriced rubbish.

ermm rubbish??? bike of the year 2008,2009,2010?

Ive ridden most competitors out there and they dont compare. The five is an awsome machine, the geometry is spot on and you sit in rather than on the bike. Its simple to maintain and its tough.

Overpriced- Compared to far eastern built bikes it looks pricey. However if us Brits don’t support UK firms then we will soon be in a bigger mess than we are already in. The guys at orange are down the road, run on british trails and live and breathe UK mountain biking. That is worth keeping hold of. We should be proud.

Surrounded by zulus sounds like a daily mail reader…

jordie
    Free Member

Overpriced rubbish. 🙄

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Fiat 500 won car of the year in 2008, Vauxhall Insignia won it in 2009, VW Polo won it this year. You’re not seriously trying to tell me that winning the “anything” of the year is worth the paper it’s written on are you?

There are far far better bikes out there for the money? How much would a Carbon Mojo be with that spec for example?

njee20
    Free Member

S-Works Epic is £2500 for a frame, and £6300 for the whole bike, so £3800 for the bits. £4400 for a full XTR bike is good value these days!

radoggair
    Free Member

Fiat 500 won car of the year in 2008, Vauxhall Insignia won it in 2009, VW Polo won it this year. You’re not seriously trying to tell me that winning the “anything” of the year is worth the paper it’s written on are you?

he has a point you know.

jimithenomad
    Free Member

i am a bit dissapointed by this, i have been watching the orange site waiting for details which were due oct , then as october arrived the due date was put back to jan . This i believe is due to xtr shortages. I was hoping that the price would not increase that much over last years as, when my tax rebate eventually arrives i was hoping to get one of these. Looks like i will be down speccing or, getting something else. was last years model not £3700? that is quite a price hike for the new one dont you think?

coogan
    Free Member

you sit in rather than on the bike

Is this this years bullsh*t quote for bikes? I’m still using ‘square edge hits’, just want to know so I can keep up…

merc350
    Free Member

Have you ridden the five? I’m sure you have or you wouldnt be commenting. Its a subjective thing i know……..

Its expensive because its UK built in an industrial unit in Calderdale Yorkshire.

25 years ago we built our own TVs VCRs etc and they were so expensive it cost a months wages to get them. Then along came the far east and built em for peanuts (using slave labour). Now their economies are booming and the UK is up the creek without a paddle.

I will pay for overpiced rubbish in this country whilst i still can 😆

merc350
    Free Member

coogan – Member

you sit in rather than on the bike

Is this this years bullsh*t quote for bikes? I’m still using ‘square edge hits’, just want to know so I can keep up…

Yep possibly. It was a top downhillers remark to me (he rides a five as his trail bike) and i had to agree with him. It was not meant as a literal thing but the feeling that the geometry gives you.

I will pass on your comment though 😀

soulrider
    Free Member

Surrounded by zulus has a point regarding the winning anything..

he may have a point of overpriced he may not

I do wonder where he comes up with the point of rubbish?

jimithenomad
    Free Member

cant see why people would want to knock a great brand with great products, but each to their own. I just feel that the great value of previous generations of orange 5 s is probably becoming a thing of the past. Will still be tempted to break the bank when they arrive as i think they ride great, and i have tried / demo ridden a few!

Junkyard
    Free Member

got one but at that price I would buy an expensive frame and sepc up with s/h parts personally.
    Good bike for sure but that is a lot for it IMHO
    Dont trust me though I use x0 and have riser bars with bar ends so I know nothing
    I know what you mean about sitting in it though 8)

Nice trolling smee

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

£4400 for a bike. You could get a good car for that. Or two very very good mountain bikes, maybe three. No bike is worth £4400, so it is overpriced. So if it is overpriced then it is rubbish as a £4400 bike.

Northwind

“retro83 – Member

Also, these are the weights from their websites:
    Stans ZTR Flow rims = 470 g
    Mavic 819 = 450 g

Seem pretty similar, could be inaccurate tho”

Mavic’s claimed weights for the tubeless rims are completely dishonest- they include the rim but not the inserts for the nipples which you need to build the wheel. Real ready-to-build weight is 507g.

It’s not that 819s are weak- I get on fine with mine- they’re just weak for their fairly hefty weight. And it’s not like it’s a cheap rim either so it’s not penny pinching, it’s just bad speccing IMO. Fine for a less capable bike but it’s a Five after all, the frame can write cheques those wheels won’t be able to cash and that’s a shame.

merc350
    Free Member

£4400 for a bike. You could get a good car for that. Or two very very good mountain bikes, maybe three. No bike is worth £4400, so it is overpriced. So if it is overpriced then it is rubbish as a £4400 bike.

Well you cannot argue with that logic…. 😈

Junkyard
    Free Member

My only issue is that £4400 for a bikecar You could get a good car bike for that. Or two very very good mountain bikes, maybe three.one estate car and a decent bike for that. No bike car is worth £4400, so it is overpriced.

jimithenomad
    Free Member

at the risk of sounding like a trendsetter, i have been saying about sitting in rather than on for years, and used to try to get this across to a riding mate, when i purchased my nomad that ” compared to the ellsworth , i feel like i am sat inside the cockpit of the bike rather than perched on top of the bike like the ellsworth.” We all know about the differences in geometery and bottom bracket heights and wheel base lengths and their effects, and for me making this comparison between the two bikes mentioned seemed easy to feel the difference. the orange 5 gives you the same inside the bike feel. IMHO, this can help you become a more confident rider and that is no bad thing , surely?

br
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – or is it that you just can’t afford one?

IME – Anything running Fox RLC/XTR/Hope/Thompson level kit will be expensive, irrelevent of the frame cost

Tubeset Monocoque/6061-T6 OS Reynolds Custom Butted Aluminium Tube
    Rear Shock Fox Float RP23 XV
    Swing Arm QR Axle
    Forks Fox 32 Float RLC Fit2 140mm QR15 TS
    F Mech Shimano XTR
    R Mech Shimano XTR Shadow 10 sp
    Shifters Shimano XTR R Fire +
    Chainset Shimano XTR (3 x 10sp)
    Cassette Shimano XTR CSM980 -10
    Brakes Hope Race X2 Pro 160/160
    Hubs Hope Pro 2
    Rims Mavic XM819 UST
    Spokes DT Swiss Competition
    Tyres Continental Mountain King 2.2 UST
    Headset Hope ZS Tapered
    Stem Thomson X4
    S Post Thomson Elite
    Saddle Fizik Gobi XM
    H Bars Easton Haven Carbon Low
    Pedals Flat
    B Bracket Shimano SM51 Hollow Tech 2

I had an 06 S-Works Enduro, that cost circa £3600 four years ago, and here’s something equivilently equipped, but dearer, from a mail-order company that you can’t even try beforehand:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55724

ivantate
    Free Member

Does this make the S good value?

Not my choice of specs either but it is pitching towards the XC/Trail end of the market which I think is where most people with £4.5k to spend would like to be riding.
    I have a mate riding a Ransom with 819s and a triple, it was about £4k 3 years ago, he is in Germany though. (perma 80’s country)

If I had a vast sum of money it would be spent on a Five. (make that another Five)

Junkyard
    Free Member

this can help you become a more confident rider and that is no bad thing

faster crashing hurts more 😳

merc350
    Free Member

jimithenomad – Member

at the risk of sounding like a trendsetter, i have been saying about sitting in rather than on for years, and used to try to get this across to a riding mate, when i purchased my nomad that ” compared to the ellsworth , i feel like i am sat inside the cockpit of the bike rather than perched on top of the bike like the ellsworth.” We all know about the differences in geometery and bottom bracket heights and wheel base lengths and their effects, and for me making this comparison between the two bikes mentioned seemed easy to feel the difference. the orange 5 gives you the same inside the bike feel. IMHO, this can help you become a more confident rider and that is no bad thing , surely?

Put for more eloquently than me +1

Another example is the trek ex9.9. It is a great bike in all respects but you sit on it, not in it (like the ellsworth).

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

b r – i could afford one. It’s just that I dont feel the need to spunk way over the odds on a bike to gain enjoyment out of it.

retro83
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Mavic’s claimed weights for the tubeless rims are completely dishonest- they include the rim but not the inserts for the nipples which you need to build the wheel. Real ready-to-build weight is 507g.

Cheeky buggers!

merc350
    Free Member

b r – i could afford one. It’s just that I dont feel the need to spunk way over the odds on a bike to gain enjoyment out of it.

i can understand your point. If thats the case buy the frame and spec up overtime. Or buy the S.

However calling it rubbish is just plain wrong. Have you owned/ demoed the bike? I fear not…. ❓

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘2011 Orange Five SE £4,400 !!!!’ is closed to new replies.