Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 2011 Etape du tour
  • goldenwonder
    Free Member

Anyone else doing this?
    Have got my confirmation of entry & wondering what the hell am I thinking! Although it is only the short one-109km

ourmaninthenorth

wondering what the hell am I thinking

I cannot believe how much I’m having to pay compared to the Frenchies..?!

Oh, and have fun – I’ve done a couple of Etapes, and it’s undoubtedly good fun and an ace experience if you’ver never done a big European sportive before.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I didn’t look how much the french pay, or do they all get the 75euro rate?
    Really looking forward to it & great excuse to buy new shiney bits for the road bike!

ourmaninthenorth

Don’t know how much it is now, but it’s cheap if you’re en France, and pricey for everyone else.

I had a bit of a chat with Chris Boardman at the last one I did (he used to ride for my club before turning pro, so recognized my jersey), then he dropped me at about 30mph on the flat. Cue long string of riders trying – unsuccesfully – to hold his wheel. Next time I saw him he was doing that pro rider thing of taking a pee whilst riding along.

The key is, when you get the route card with the timings and the matching broom wagon timings, just work out where you need to be and by when in order to make time on the broom wagon through the day. Same for the elimination points.

But *don’t* stress massively about the broom wagon. Everyone gets a bit too worked up about it. Just enjoy the ride and the whole experience of being on the road with thousands of other riders.

Oh, and watch out for the first descent – there’s always crashes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘2011 Etape du tour’ is closed to new replies.