Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2011 Cube Stereo Team alternative rear hubs?
  • s204
    Free Member

Good day guys, my first post here. I have this project bike so I purchased this Stereo Frame few months ago. Now I just found out that the stock parts are not easy to find, like the oversized headset and seatpost. But anyway I already got them. Now I am out in the market looking for hubs that would fit the rear. The stock one is Dt Swiss XPW1600 15mm X12. What would be the difference between it and a regular 15mm through axle hub? And worse is they are nowhere to be found in the market, seems that Cube subcontracted DTSwiss those exclusively. Ive been considering Hopes or Chosen hubs, but I have read that there might be some incompatibality issues or what so ever.

I hope some gurus or Cube users here or the likes could help me out. Thanks!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

the easy option is to go for the Hope PRO2 hub with X-12 (142mmx12mm) conversion kit. This page gives you the list of hubs that are compatible syntace x-12

If you don’t have the original axle, then you need to get one.

matty-B
    Free Member

X-12 is not the same as a 15mm through axle. Quite a few hubs now have adaptors to fit 142 x 12, Dependant on budget look at Hope, Superstar, Sun / Ringle etc.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

sorry
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

As matty says, you seem to have got confused about the stock DT Swiss wheel, it’s not 15mm X12, it’s 142mm X 12mm (X-12).

s204
    Free Member

Now things are getting a little clearer, thanks for those suggestions. Yes honestly I am a bit confused about those stock hubs, my first time to encounter such as a beginner to AM setup. I dont have any original parts that makes things really though. I am reading about the Rockshox Maxle lite 12x142mm conversion kit, hoping that it would fit a standard Dtswiss X1600 wheelset. Any insights about this? Few of my friends were telling me to just sell the frame and give up, but the truth is I am just enjoying the difficulties getting those parts as I am beginning to learn more and more.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

From your post, I’m assuming you haven’t got the original axle, which would look like this

This is the axle on a cube stereo and is Syntace X-12 system, it just screws in by hand like a bolt into a nut, don’t ask me why it doesn’t just unscrew itself while in use, I don’t know, but it doesn’t. I’m reasonably convinced a maxle lite axle won’t work (not sure tho), but note the thread on the end. Look at a maxle lite, it doesn’t appear to have the thread. I think you’ll need a DT Swiss X-12 axle or Syntace X-12 axle. The Syntace is cheaper. There is a thread about it a few months ago, someone managed to break their DT Swiss X-12 axle and were trying to replace it. I can link you to a site that sells the Syntace X-12 axle if you want.

4ndyB
    Free Member

It’s not a difficult frame to find parts for, plenty of stuff will fit it.

142mm x12 hubs are an evolution of a standard 135mm hub & although relatively new plenty of options available

The Stereo is a good frame to build up into an AM bike

Your friends have very little patience or knowledge by the sound of it (not meaning to be harsh but that is how your post comes across to me)

As far as I know & DT Swiss website says you can get an X12 X1600 so the DT X1600 hubs should be convertible to X12.

You should just need a conversion kit, I don’t know if another brand of conversion kit will work on DT’s stuff

I would contact DT Swiss to confirm this though

Until last month I had a wheelset that would have worked, Sun Ringle hubs (OE stuff from a Cube Sting) sold em though when I upgraded to OE Cube DT CPW 1200 wheels (based on the XRC 1350 wheelset)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m not sure about the DT X1600 hub. if it’s an OE one originally off a Cube Stereo 2009 or newer (or from any other frame with the same standard), then yes definitely.
    If the X1600 wheel has any other DT hub fitted ie Quick release type, then I don’t think you can retro convert those DT wheelset hubs over to 142mm x 12mm, I’m not absolutely sure tho. I got a bit confused about the DT range of hubs/wheelsets, which ones are convertible and which aren’t.

I did, 12 months ago, exactly what you’re doing now and didn’t have any problems really. Yes, you have to be careful that everything is going to fit, it’s definitely all out there available.

s204
    Free Member

Should I really stick with that X12 system? I have contacted Syntace and how to get this product to China where I am now. Now what if I will just get a hub compatible with Maxle Lite 142mm x 12? Would the frame be compatible with it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Any wheel hub that is 142mm X 12mm will fit.

Do you have an X-12 axle? Like in the picture above or like this

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Should I really stick with that X12 system?

Yes, I had a 2011 stereo Race and the back end is remarkably stiffer than the back end of Zesty with QR I replaced it with

s204
    Free Member

Nope, I have none of the stock or original axle and wheelset parts. Syntace US had replied but did not confirm availablity yet of the X12 axle.

Geordiemick00 – did the QR fit well? So X12 is a better right?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2011 Cube Stereo Team alternative rear hubs?’ is closed to new replies.