Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 2011 Census……. how much???
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Jeepers, nearly £500m 😯
    I can think of better ways to spend the money personally (or just not spend it) especially as they admit the data will be out of date in a couple of years. 😐

pedalhead
    Free Member

but it’s crucial for the govt to record the number of Jedi still in existence.

jimster
    Free Member

Also for keeping a couple of Civil Servants in work for a week or two..

druidh
    Free Member

Most of the £500m is paying the various temporary staff. So, it’s really money coming back into the economy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said.

60million people, so say 30million hoseholds/surveys.

Say it takes 10min to upload each survey @ £45/hour (inc office rent, suppourt staff, ICT etc) thats ~ £10 a survay so £300million. Add on 2 lots of postage (£3*30,000,000=£9million), printing (30million?), advertising (10’s of millions isn’t unfeasible with a few primetime slots?) and 500million suddenly doesn’t go very far.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Most of the £500m is paying the various temporary staff. So, it’s really money coming back into the economy.

good point…. hadn’t thought of that 😳

Say it takes 10min to upload each survey

Doubtfull really. The survey forms will mostly be scanned and each one will be read within 1 or 2 seconds depending on the question format.
    But overall you’re right….. I guess £500m doesn’t go too far nowadays!

Reluctant
    Free Member

I haven’t appeared on a census since 1981 😆

bruneep

£880 (part-time, 80 hours total)
    18 April 2011 to 30 June 2011

was tempted for the slush fund, but then I would have to deal with joe public……..

druidh
    Free Member

I did it last year (as part of the pilot scheme). Wasn’t the hardest work I’ve ever done, but did involve going around the doors and gently “persuading” people they should fill it in. Of course, the pilot wasn’t legally binding the same way, so we didn’t have a legislative stick to beat them with.

psling
    Free Member

Equates to 96p per person per year I understand.

binners

Actually, in true New labour/Tory (same difference) style they’ve outsourced it to a large American arms manufacturer

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/press_releases/2008/0828_lmuk-2011-census.html

I know if i was doing a population census then my first port of call would be a company that made pretty damn good surface-to-air missiles

🙄

epicyclo

It’s worth every penny.

grumm
    Free Member

Actually, in true Tory style they’ve outsourced it to a large American arms manufacturer

Also under the American Patriot Act are apparently obliged to share any information they possess with the US government. So watch what you say! 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Actually, in true Tory style they’ve outsourced it to a large American arms manufacturer

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/press_releases/2008/0828_lmuk-2011-census.html

In true Labour style, that decision was made during the previous parliament.

He shoots.

He misses.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m predicting it’ll be the next big ‘website launch which can’t cope with the demand’

binners

Story of my life Druid, I’m afraid

They’re all the same anyway. As the Lib Dems are now going out of their way to prove

druidh
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

Doubtfull really. The survey forms will mostly be scanned and each one will be read within 1 or 2 seconds depending on the question format.

It can also be completed online, but yes – the scanning is pretty quick.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Seriously? Then again my employers is American so they probably already know more about me.

Helios
    Free Member

grumm – Member

Also under the American Patriot Act are apparently obliged to share any information they possess with the US government. So watch what you say!

Drivel… Lockheed Martin are providing the computer system not collecting the data – none of the data goes anywhere near them… So all the information you give will be safe in the hands of your own government…

grumm
    Free Member

In true Labour style, that decision was made during the previous parliament.
    He shoots.

He misses.

How long can the Tories go before they (and their supporters) have to stop blaming Labour for absolutely everything they do and start taking some **** responsibility for their own actions? Just wondering.

If it’s their policy it’s: ‘oh well we had to do this, ‘cos of Labour messing everything up’
    If it’s not their policy: it’s ‘oh well this was Labour’s idea that we had to carry on with’

druidh
    Free Member

grumm – Member

If it’s their policy it’s: ‘oh well we had to do this, ‘cos of Labour messing everything up’
    If it’s not their policy: it’s ‘oh well this was Labour’s idea that we had to carry on with’
    Related to this??

A contract was put in place 3 years ago, during which time systems and procedures have been developed. Do you really think that an incoming government could reverse that, at zero cost, and still meet the 2011 census date?

I guess I should really butt out of this thread as I actually know something about this and it’ll spoil all the hysteria and misinformation if I’m here to correct it 😉

tonyd

grumm – Member

How long can the Tories go before they (and their supporters) have to stop blaming Labour for absolutely everything they do and start taking some **** responsibility for their own actions? Just wondering.

Hmm, how long before the Labour supporters stop blaming Thatcher? Just asking.

grumm
    Free Member

Related to this??

Not particularly but maybe a little. The Tories cancelled the EMA and broke existing contracts with Capita – meaning they have to pay massive penalties negating almost all of the supposed savings. So they don’t always stick with existing Labour arrangements.

Hmm, how long before the Labour supporters stop blaming Thatcher? Just asking.

Blaming Thatcher for what? I certainly blame her for being a massive ****. I also blame the Labour party for largely following her policies.

druidh – because you had a temp job going round knocking on doors you are now an expert on the census? 😛

druidh
    Free Member

grumm – I did say “I actually know something about this”. And I didn’t mention any other role I might have had…. 😉

tonyd

grumm – Member
    Blaming Thatcher for what? I certainly blame her for being a massive ****.

Charming. Statements like that don’t exactly help your credibility.

I also blame the Labour party for largely following her policies.

Ah, so during 13 years in government there was nothing Labour could do because it was Thatchers policies that brought the nation to the brink of bankruptcy?

And you’re asking when the Tories (sorry, coalition) will take responsibility after less than a year in Government? Sorry but that smacks of hypocrisy, or are you being deliberately ironic?

[Sorry for potentially derailing the thread OP, not my intention]

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m sure everyone will be pleased to know that after spending vast sums of money creating a master address database it will be wiped after census day 😀

Link

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

druidh – because you had a temp job going round knocking on doors you are now an expert on the census?

Since when did a lack of knowledge get in the way of people posting teh factz on here? 😉

tonyd

ebygomm – Member

I’m sure everyone will be pleased to know that after spending vast sums of money creating a master address database it will be wiped after census day
    Nice find, no doubt there’ll be a backup taken and kept somewhere safe though, HMRC for example? 🙂

However “…there are currently no plans to make the census address register publicly available as there are significant commercial, licensing and confidentiality obstacles that would have to be overcome”.

…. waits for Daily Mail front page headline – “Census database kept on memory stick and left on train, found by member of advertising agency”

psling
    Free Member

I blame Cromwell…

grumm
    Free Member

Charming.

Well you know, cosying up to people like Pinochet, supporting apartheid – I could go on, pretty well qualifies someone as a **** in my book.

Ah, so during 13 years in government there was nothing Labour could do because it was Thatchers policies that brought the nation to the brink of bankruptcy?

No, I just said I blamed the Labour party. 😕

kimbers

seeing as cameroon and co were happy to cancel plenty of other labour projects im sure they could cancel this one if they wanted to
    it surely wouldnt lead to the kind of -ve headlines the navy cancellations have had etc

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes, they could cancel it, except that would be daft – we do need a census.

the info is useful, for example:

how many people live in area X? – is this number increasing or declining? do they need a bigger / smaller water treatment plant? / electricity sub-station? / school?

demographics and that, etc.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘2011 Census……. how much???’ is closed to new replies.