Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2010 Spec Enduro – Too much travel for a trail bike?
  • dexterbexley
    Free Member

I'm looking for a replacement for my 2004 Heckler – something slack (around 66/67deg head angle), able to take a beating (strong and stiff) and weighing aroung the 30lb mark.

I was all but convinved that the ubiquitous Orange 5 frame (in 2011 guise with a seattube that'll take my Joplin) until a visit to my LBS at the weekend and a spin on a 2010 Specialized Enduro (£2k model, can get it for £1800 plus a cyclescheme discount to around £1500). Much suppler than the Heckler, and yet a better peddler and much more confidence insipiring.

I'm worried that moving from 140mm to 160mm is just too much for a large chunk of my riding (singletrack around Stanmer and DH tracks in Wild Park in Brighton).

Anyone got one – advice and opinions gratefully received. I tried a Stumpjumper and didn't get on with it at all.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I had the same quandry, going form this: –

To this: –

Initially the climbing difference is like night & day, no bob and climbed like a mountain goat. Weight wise the Spesh came out lighter by about 1/2lb, I swapped out the AFR shock with a HV RP2 and the difference is incredible. The Spesh goes down hill like it should have and is far superior than the Heckler, even with the DHX 5 Coil. However It does not jump as easy probably because of the longer wheel base, but is super stable when pinning it. Knocked around 15 minutes off my lap times at White's Levels in one hit.

The difference in travel was hardly hardly noticable, except the Spesh is more forgiving.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice. I'd lose about 3lb and gain ~20mm in plusher travel – starting to make sense, especially when the Enduro is the same price as a high end trail frame…

Carpediem
    Free Member

I'Ve got the 2010 comp.

Ride on welsh trail centre's mostly, and love it.For a 6" travel ful susser it climbs really well ( with pro-pedal off)The ride position is very comfy,even on all day jobbies.

Down Hill is ecstasy I swear.You can get right back and leave the bike do all the work. It's potential is way beyond my abilities at the moment.Get a test on one, you'll not look back!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bikes like the Enduro need the Alps. Way too much bounce in Bighty IMO.

My (2006) Enduro hasn't spun a wheel in England for 3 years. OK it did a bit in Wales and a bit in Scotland but the vast majority of its miles are done in France.

It makes the UK stuff boringly easy….

You can get right back and leave the bike do all the work.

🙄

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

there are always trails out there that warrant big squidge – you just have to find them!

I guess it does rather depend what you ride most often?!

A big but light bouncer can be huge fun in dark peaks, lakes, scotland and on uplift days but i wouldnt want one for swoopy singletrack or south downs style riding . .

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Get a pitch instead 😉 soooooooooo much fun

dexterbexley
    Free Member

The enduro felt pretty good on a quick test ride – pro pedal helps a lot. I'll try and get a proper trail test soon.

I think I really want something between an Enduro and a Stumpjumper – 140mm but slack and stiff.

I know, I know Zesty, Five etc…

whytetrash

Mate just came top 30 in the Dyfi enduro on one!…fast guy, reckons he was pulling away from guys on descents but losing more time on the climbs!

didmatt
    Free Member

I ride a specialized SX trail around the Yorkshire moors/ peak district, and to be honest wished I would of brought something around 140mm, whilst the downs are very fun, the ups and anything flat just sucks the energy out of you. Having said that, it does weigh around 40lbs…

dexterbexley
    Free Member

I think the thing that worries me most is it being wallowy – I don't want to get lost in the travel pumping through corners etc.

I've heard getting a different shock tune is the way to go…but then the bargain £1800 bike starts to get pricey.

mildred

It's 2cm, 20mm, less than an 1 inch, about the width of a 20 pence piece – just look at how whopping this difference is (not – 1/7th more travel), and considering it's on a lighter bike, possibly with improved suspension, why would it be too much travel?

I think a lot of the pidgeon holing that surrounds the relationship between a bike's maximum travel with the purpose the bike is being put is marketing bumf, which some magazines fall for hook line and sinker.

You say yourself that it pedals better than the Heckler, you had a spin on it, liked it, you know its a bargain, so buy it.

Seriously, if you think 140mm travel is ok, why would 160mm be that much different?

grumm
    Free Member

My usual riding is in the Lakes but I've taken my pitch to the Alps as well and it was great for both. Does depend where you ride, and also I'm pretty heavy/strong so having a big bike makes more sense for me.

I also have a hardtail which is fun but the Pitch is amazing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2010 Spec Enduro – Too much travel for a trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.