Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad 2, Chain Device help 2×9 for planned set up – HELP !
  • paulmurphy1971
    Free Member

Hi there – hoping for some help and advice as tearing my hair out.

I have a SC Nomad 2, 2010. When I bought the bike (used) it had a 1×9 Set-Up and used an MRP Mini G SL Chain Device. This worked well in terms of the gearing .. up to a point. With the roller type set-up it was prone to getting ‘gunked up’ riding some really bad gritty conditions all winter. That said – when nice and clean it was perfect but as I intend to run all winter every year when the top part of the guide cracked and the bottom roller part fell apart i thought – time to change. Also the back plate was pretty beat up and i had to take the grips to it to strighten it out a few times – not great.

So … After some reading I changed to a Straightline Silent Guide. And then the issues really started … due to the type of Shimano XT crank i had to mount the bashgaurd inside and use spacers to create a gap from the chainring, use long chain bolts, also remove bottom bracket and move spacers to space out the drive side to get the whole thing to kind work – a disater really as its all compromises. Gearing started having issues as well as you can imagine due to change in chainline.

Recently my BB failed and i have a Hope one on now. However its slightly different from what was the there and now there is not enough grip to keep the crank on – it falls off – very dodgy.

The whole thing is a ***k up.

I have also decided i am now going 2×9 as steep climbs i can do but its pure pain while other guys of similar fitness breeze it. I get up and keep up but its just horrible.

So everything is up for change and needs sorted.

I am probably going to put on front mech, new chainset (maybe Shimano M770 XT ?) and i want to run a new chain device and a bash.

BUT … once again i am back to reading about people dremelling bolts, etc and doing extra spacing on the nomad to get a chain device to work on the tabs. I really want it on the tabs – not a bb mount.

SO …. and here is the bottom line….

What are you running that works in a 2 x 9 setup and can you recommend a chain device that will just work on the Nomad 2010 without a total bodge ?????

Thanks guys…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

would a blackspire stinger not work? I know a P30 DOES work using the ISG05 tabs

paulmurphy1971
    Free Member

Thanks Rob,

The Blackspire was the one that jumped out at me…. but i read about someone having to space out the drive side crank an additional 1mm (slx two ring) to keep the stinger mounting bolts and small chainring bolts from making contact. and it seemsthis is common with this setup.

So thats making me nervy as that sounds kinda like some of what i have just went through !

Although i would rather have it on the ISG5 tabs one option could be to go with the BB Mount with the stinger – maybe doing that would keep everything just right…????????

Not sure – hopefully some lads with Nomads out there will be able to say what works for them …..

Cheers, Paul.

Stranga
    Free Member

I just used a Bionicon on mine and had no issues, them when I needed a new mech got a XT clutch and again it worked fine.

robj20
    Free Member

I had a Stinger and SLX double, no spacing required, worked well. But got rid as it just isnt needed.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ah yes the bolts rub on the crank – i filed mine down!

paulmurphy1971
    Free Member

Thanks lads…

Yes – the stinger and SLX double is a set up i am considering to keep costs down a bit –

robj20 – was the stinger an ISG5 or a BB mount – if that all just works with no special spacings or filing i may go that way….

rob – yep – the filing down thing is what i am trying to avoid as it seems like another bodge – are we just talking a little bit off the screwheads ?

Cheers, Paul.

robj20
    Free Member

It was a ISG5.

paulmurphy1971
    Free Member

Thanks for the inputs so far … i think that a stinger (£22) on an ISG5 mount with a Shimano SLX M665 double chainset (£98) + front mech, trigger, etc may be my best option to get things the way i want them without going crazy on the spending again….

Cheers….

justme
    Free Member

Another biocon here seams to work fine and is dead simple

nodrog2
    Free Member

I used to own a Nomad MkII set up with an ISCG05 Stinger, XT triple chainset (set up as a double and bash). Ran the bike 2×9 and the above set up worked flawlessly.

Used to have a Stinger on an old Enduro – it was a PITA getting clagged up all the time.

Thinking of getting a Bionicon atm for my 3×9

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2010 Santa Cruz Nomad 2, Chain Device help 2×9 for planned set up – HELP !’ is closed to new replies.